Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Made first Redbox rental, but now my machine is broken

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally tried out Redbox. I rented Zodiac yesterday, and everything went smoothly. But, this morning I went to return the dvd, and the machine was out of order. I checked again about a 1/2 hour ago, and still no luck. The next nearest machine is a ~50+ minute round trip by car. I emailed customer support through Redbox explaining the above, and that I shouldn't be charged for extra days on the movie I rented.

I'm not sure what they'll say to refunding the extra charge. (I think it's justified, I don't consider driving 50+ minutes as convenient at all, i.e. any machine) I'm also wondering when my local machine might get fixed?

Has anyone had this happen to them? Seems like I picked a bad time to give Redbox a try. Although I'm really glad I didn't get 3 or 4 movies like I originally planned.
Old 01-04-09, 08:29 PM
Suspended

There are hundreds here within a ten mile radius so I wouldn't ever encounter your dilemma. Let us know how it works out.

E
Old 01-05-09, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, I encountered this before at Albertsons and since RedBox isn't run by the grocery store employees, they just said to call them. There was a big line of people waiting to return movies in time before the cut off and RedBox was pretty good about understanding and crediting people for the broken machine.
Old 01-05-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Made first Redbox rental, but now my machine is broken

And considering how much gas costs, it would probably be cheaper to keep it longer and get charged the additional fees (if they made you pay them, which they shouldn't). So not driving 50+ miles to the other box seems like the better choice no matter how you look at it.
Old 01-05-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

With all the free codes that Redbox makes available, I would think they'll be understanding and credit your account. Also, considering that the Tuesday releases should be put into the machine in the next 24 hours, I would think the kiosk is going to receive some attention and be up and running soon.
Old 01-05-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

This just happened to me. I rented a movie on 12/23. The nearest redbox wouldn't take it when I tried to return it on the morning of 12/24, then again in the afternoon of 12/24, so I drove out to the only other nearby redbox 6 miles and that one was broken too. So I went home and called the number and told the lady I didn't want to spend Christmas eve driving all over the city looking for a working redbox. They were very nice and told me they would refund any additional charges for that rental (which they did) plus they gave me a free rental code. It was fixed when I went back on 12/26 and the credits appeared on my credit card a day or two later.
Old 01-05-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
This just happened to me. I rented a movie on 12/23. The nearest redbox wouldn't take it when I tried to return it on the morning of 12/24, then again in the afternoon of 12/24, so I drove out to the only other nearby redbox 6 miles and that one was broken too. So I went home and called the number and told the lady I didn't want to spend Christmas eve driving all over the city looking for a working redbox. They were very nice and told me they would refund any additional charges for that rental (which they did) plus they gave me a free rental code. It was fixed when I went back on 12/26 and the credits appeared on my credit card a day or two later.
Sounds like a very decent company with quality customer service. Maybe I should check them out. What is the condition of the dvd's? I stopped renting locally because every third disc i got looked like some kid had dropped it data side down on his pb&j.
Old 01-05-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Some scratches, but nothing major from my experience.
Old 01-05-09, 07:48 PM

Returned the dvd around noon today. Sounds like the CS for Redbox is pretty good so that definitely makes me feel better about renting more films from the one local machine I have in the future. It's awesome when the machine works.
Old 01-06-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The cynic in me would suggest people are purposely breaking or jamming these machines to exploit Redbox's leniency and giving of extra codes.