Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner Directors Cut Question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched the "final cut" of the film on dvd and I have to confess I didn't really understand the ending. I understood the theatrical version's ending well enough, but the ending of the final cut version seemed rather abrupt. Could someone please explain this ending to me? Feel free to use spoiler covers if you think this topic qualifies. Thanks.
Old 01-02-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lengthy discussion here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-spoilers.html
Old 01-02-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Note that the mentions in that thread about a "sixth replicant" are referring to certain dialogue inconsistencies in the original cuts that was finally fixed in the Final Cut. There originally was another replicant in the script that was cut during filming, but some scenes were already shot making reference to a total of 6 replicants.

The reason why the film seems to end abruptly is because the ending is pretty much the same as its was in the theatrical cut, but doesn't have the tacked-on "happy ending" with voiceover. Since you're used to the movie going longer, where it ends now seems abrupt.
Old 01-03-09, 04:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by moonraker
I just watched the "final cut" of the film on dvd and I have to confess I didn't really understand the ending. I understood the theatrical version's ending well enough, but the ending of the final cut version seemed rather abrupt. Could someone please explain this ending to me? Feel free to use spoiler covers if you think this topic qualifies. Thanks.
That's the original ending. You're not meant to know if Deckard and Rachael make it out of the building alive. And even if they do, you know that Deckard is going to outlive Rachael, because in the Final Cut she has an expiration date like every other replicant.