Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you be worried about this DVD crack?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-01-09, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the bottom layer of this DVD has a crack in the hub. Would you worry about it and/or get it replaced? It is disk #6 of the Packers Greatest Games 10 DVD set, so it would kinda suck to have to replace the whole set just for one DVD.

Old 01-01-09, 03:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For being a fellow Packer fan. I live in Green Bay myself, so I'll always be a faithful cheesehead.
Old 01-01-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
I assume it still plays, right? The only thing I would worry about is the hub that holds the disc. If it's one of those hard plastic ones that's really snug, it might make the crack worse each time you take it in and out. You might want to keep it in a separate sleeve.
Old 01-01-09, 11:04 AM
crs

Is the crack through all the plastic? If so, I'd worry. It could get worse when the disc is spinning at high speeds, splintering the disc completely (although at 1x in a DVD player, chances are very slim).

If the crack is only in one of the plastic layers that is glued together in the disc, then I wouldn't worry.

To me, it looks like this is a case of the latter.
Old 01-01-09, 11:57 AM
Cool New Member

My Exorcist: Version You've Never Seen has a crack like that in the hub through the bottom layer, which is weird because I bought it new and don't think i've ever even watched it, although it has went through 2 moves in the 5 years that i've had it so maybe that has something to do with it. I only use my PS3 for watching movies anymore and i'd rather replace it than take the small risk of a $5 dvd screwing up my $400 PS3.
Old 01-01-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, I wouldn't. Would you be worried about this crack?

Old 01-01-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get it replaced. Better safe than sorry, right? A few years ago, I had a CD that had a crack like that. Eventually the crack spread out into the data area.
Old 01-01-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lol...at first I thought this thread was implying that DVD purchasing is like addiction to crack...and although I have never indulged, I'm assuming the analogy rings true
Old 01-01-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
I have seen a couple of dvds that had cracks like that. Mostly rentals. Although, some of them I couldnt tell for sure that it was a crack or perhaps just a line in the adhesive between the layers? In any event, I have never had a disc shred itself in teh player, even if it had multiple cracks like the one you posted.
Old 01-02-09, 12:29 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

tough call, I have one list this and but it's right throught the plastic. Still plays okay. It was due to the stupid packaging
Old 01-02-09, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I would look into getting a replacement or make a copy of it for yourself. I've had regular CD's with a crack like this and eventually, the sucker will come apart. You'd be surprised how much force is placed on a disc when it's spinning. A lot. And everytime you play that disc with a crack, it will spread outward, eventually coming apart, and possibly screwing up your DVD player as well when the pieces go flying around inside your player.