Reload this Page >

I am in love with Entourage.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-31-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blind bought all four available seasons on DVD last week during the 50% off HBO box sets sale at Best Buy, and I watched them all over the course of two days, and then turned around and downloaded all 12 episodes of season five. Now I'm sad because there is no more Entourage until the summer. This is the most fun I've had watching a television show in a long time.
Old 12-31-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a solid show that I've been enjoying for the last couple of years. Looking forward to new episodes.
Old 12-31-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Definitely a show that can get frustrating watching one episode a week, you did it the right way.
Old 12-31-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sauce07
Definitely a show that can get frustrating watching one episode a week, you did it the right way.
Agreed. This is the exact type of show that needs to be watched 3 or more episodes at a time. Alas, I lack all sorts of self control and I would never wait for the DVD while the show is airing.

Love the show too, lots of fun. I can watch all the episodes over and over.
Old 12-31-08, 12:17 PM

Ari Gold's character has the best one-liners and insults I've ever heard in my life.
Old 12-31-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I did the same thing last summer and had to wait for the season 4 DVDs. Now I'm patiently awaiting season 5. I couldn't imagine waiting a week between episodes. It's too easy to watch 3-4 at a time.
Old 12-31-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Just picked up season 1 for 15 bucks at Target, and contemplating picking up the rest before the sale (and the corresponding amazon sale) ends.. Not super impressed with the 3 episodes I watched so far, but that may be due to heightened expectations. Does it get better, or are those pretty much indicative of the series as a whole?
Old 12-31-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Just picked up season 1 for 15 bucks at Target, and contemplating picking up the rest before the sale (and the corresponding amazon sale) ends.. Not super impressed with the 3 episodes I watched so far, but that may be due to heightened expectations. Does it get better, or are those pretty much indicative of the series as a whole?
I thought the first season was good but a bit hit and miss. I definitely think it got better during season 2.
Old 12-31-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I say watch till the end of the first season. If you don't have the desire to keep going it probably isn't for you. The storyline starts to pick up after awhile and Ari turns into a likable character. I hated him in the beginning of the first season then his assholeness caught on and he became my favorite character. By the middle of the first season I was hooked.

Season 2 does take a little bit of a turn. Drama starts to get a little more over the top ridiculous. They start to have two storylines an episode: The main story arc involved Vince and E while the gags come from Turtle and Drama's storyline. Of course, to a degree, they're all involved in it together but you do start to see some seperation.
Old 12-31-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Love the show. Can't wait for season 6.
Old 12-31-08, 03:07 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Entourage trivia: Ari Gold is loosely based on real-life super-agent Ari Emanuel, whose brother Rahm Emanuel is Barack Obama's Chief of Staff. Rahm was also the basis for Josh Lyman on the West Wing. They have a third brother, Ezekiel Emanuel, who is an oncologist and a bioethicist, and I keep waiting for someone to make a show about him.
Old 12-31-08, 03:17 PM

One of the best shows ever IMO and you did it right....watching on DVD back-to-back makes it even better
Old 12-31-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I stopped buying sets after the 2nd season, b/c w/ HBO there is zero doubt that there will be a box set when the series is over. But with the recent Target sale I picked up the rest. It's the type of show where an episode goes by so fast, so when you sit & watch just one, you end up watching like 5 eps before you know it.

Piven just created an all-time classic character. I love the little one-liners b/w him & Eric. Drama is the only other great character on the show.
Old 12-31-08, 09:58 PM

I love the show, but the Turtle character is completely worthless. He's not even funny. It's like he's only on the show to fill out the "Sex and the City" outline.
Old 01-01-09, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I love the show, but the Turtle character is completely worthless. He's not even funny. It's like he's only on the show to fill out the "Sex and the City" outline.
I used to think that, but for some reason he really started to grow on me towards the end of season 5. I won't spoil it for anybody that hasn't seen it, but he starts doing something that nobody expects him to do and he actually became more "normal" in my mind.

For the first 4 1/2 seasons of Entourage he was basically just a shiftless layabout that mooched off Vince and contributed nothing. For the most part that didn't really change by the end of season 5, but he just seemed to not be as big of a loser and really started to grow on me.

Can't wait for season 6.
Old 01-01-09, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I hated Turtle the first season as well. He's a very worthless unfunny dumbass. Fortunately he grows on you in later seasons.

Originally Posted by JasonF
Entourage trivia: Ari Gold is loosely based on real-life super-agent Ari Emanuel, whose brother Rahm Emanuel is Barack Obama's Chief of Staff. Rahm was also the basis for Josh Lyman on the West Wing. They have a third brother, Ezekiel Emanuel, who is an oncologist and a bioethicist, and I keep waiting for someone to make a show about him.
More trivia, the inspiration for the Jimmy Smits character on the West Wing was based of Obama and his family.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-01-09 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-02-09, 05:07 PM

Since we're onto trivia about TWW....anyone else find it ironic that Vinick is very much like McCain? Minus the economy turn, TWW did a lot to foreshadow this past election cycle.

Back on topic...started watching it this year so it was an easy decision to buy Seasons 1-4.
Old 01-02-09, 08:55 PM

The end of season 5 also explains a bit why Turtle is in the group in the first place. You gain a better understand about why Vince is so fond of him.
Old 01-03-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pretty good show, but I missed the whole Aquaman thing.
Old 01-03-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Girls of Entourage

+

+

the dwarves (well, the cast is really tiny )

=

Although I have to say I didn't like the last season that much.
Old 01-03-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
I knew all of this except the Rahm/Josh Lyman comparison how was he on the landscape when West Wing started?

And yes this show is great but better too watch a bunch in a row it's enjoyable that way
Old 01-06-09, 03:49 PM

Re: I am in love with Entourage.

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
I knew all of this except the Rahm/Josh Lyman comparison how was he on the landscape when West Wing started?

And yes this show is great but better too watch a bunch in a row it's enjoyable that way
He served in the Clinton White House...I believe as deputy Chief of Staff. When Clinton headed out he went ahead and ran for a house seat himself.

I think with what has played out, people will look back in 20 years at TWW and be absolutely amazed that Wells and Co. (yes, I know Sorkin was the creator) had the foresight to to write something so close to what actually played out. Hell, even down to the McCain/Vinick landslide in the primaries and we were damn close to a brokered convention. (Don't tell me Hillary being named SOS wasn't part of the deal to get her out of the race.)
Old 01-07-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a guy show. It has chicks, sweet cars, guys talking shit to each other, and is pretty damn funny to boot.
Old 01-07-09, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm also a bit underwhelmed with the show. I buy the seasons, eat them up in two nights, and just have them sit there without ever wanting to watch them again. Maybe it is the lack of real meaningful drama. Nobody really gets hurt or or suffers any sort of loss, it keeps me from getting emotionally invested in the characters outside of just being curious about what happens next. Maybe it's too light for me?
Old 01-08-09, 02:50 PM

Watched the pilot last night and I've got to admit...I now see the justified annoyance with Turtle prior to s5.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.