Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon: Blade Runner 4Disc cheaper than 2Disc

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 09:02 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon: Blade Runner 4Disc cheaper than 2Disc

I was looking to finally pick this up and found that the SDVD 4 disc is fifty cents cheaper than the 2 disc

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d?...runner&x=0&y=0
Old 12-30-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great movie. I got it while back for $17. I should waited 4-6 months to save extra $1, lol
Old 12-30-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got it from DD last month for $13.49
Old 12-30-08, 10:32 AM

I got the BD while back. It is a great movie and I like the extras in it.
Old 12-30-08, 01:52 PM

It is better to get the 4 disc. It's the only one I would buy, actually, because it contains the original theatrical release. I do not like the director's version which takes out Harrison Ford's narration. I guess opinions differ, but the director is not always right. The reason the narration was put in to begin with is because (and you will learn the details on disc 2 of the 4 disc set) audience testing of the film before release found people were confused and not getting major plot points. Scott at the time saw that there was a need for a voiceover.
Old 12-30-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by ericjanderson
I guess opinions differ, but the director is not always right.
Fortunately, this director sees the value in making nearly all the versions available in high quality.

Scott at the time saw that there was a need for a voiceover.
Actually, it's more like Scott capitulated to the voiceover. By that point, he had already been fired from the film (technically), and locked out of the recording session for the narration used in the final cut of the film. It would've had to have taken an overwhelmingly positive initial first screening to stop the guarantor for the film from slapping on the narration and happy ending. Ironically, it was these two elements that were often singled out as negatives in reviews of the film on release.
Old 12-31-08, 09:43 AM

Actually, Ridley Scott did supervise the writing and recording of a voiceover. But it was not apparently the voiceover used in the final theatrical cut. There was a second recording session done -- with an unknown writer -- as described by Harrison Ford in the "making of" documentary. Perhaps this is why Ridley is so conflicted about the voiceover. Because it was not the one that he supervised.

"Ironically, it was these two elements that were often singled out as negatives in reviews of the film on release." Reviewers always know best. What could, after all, be more distasteful than a happy ending?
Old 12-31-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by ericjanderson
Actually, Ridley Scott did supervise the writing and recording of a voiceover. But it was not apparently the voiceover used in the final theatrical cut.
Ridley Scott actually oversaw two voice-over recording sessions, and he ultimately decided not to use much of either. The voice-over used in the final film is from a third recording session with a script written by a friend of the producer.

Perhaps this is why Ridley is so conflicted about the voiceover.
I'm not sure where you got that Ridley is "conflicted" about the voiceover. There was only a small bit of the original voice-over in Ridley's rough cut, and his "Director's" and Final Cuts have excised them completely. He seems pretty solidly against it.

Reviewers always know best.
Whereas test audiences always know best?

What could, after all, be more distasteful than a happy ending?
For Blade Runner? Not much.

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-31-08 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Amazon: Blade Runner 4Disc cheaper than 2Disc

I just found the 4-DVD Collector's Edition on Amazon for $5.77. http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-F.../dp/B000UBMSB8
Old 02-15-12, 11:25 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the tip. By buying the four disc Blade Runner, I added to my Fawlty Towers Remastered set and ended up with free shipping. BTW, I happen to think that the version of Blade Runner without the voiceover is surprisingly much better, particularly in the seduction scene.
Old 02-15-12, 11:42 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Great find, thanks! I held off a long time and at that price, I can hold off on the BD and go for the 4-disc DVD pretty much regret-free.