Reload this Page >

DVD Storage

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Storage

Old 12-29-08, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Storage

Ok first off, the formalities.

I know there is a thread for this, I also know how to use the search.

I can't find the thread, I am not working it right or something.

Anyway, I am looking to minimize the footprint of my 400+ dvd's and blu rays. I remember seeing on here a thread of storing DVD collections, and in that thread, a product that was a plastic cover that stored the dvd and the cover without the actual case.

Anyone know what they are called?

Link to the thread maybe?

Thanks all!
Old 12-29-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD Case? DVD binder?
Old 12-29-08, 08:28 AM

well, one of them was in almost like a file cabinet, but yeah, a binder would do great.

I searched Binder, got to page 7 of the search, and gave up.
Old 12-29-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you use google search and I'm sure there's plenty selection of DVD binders that you can find to your liking.
Old 12-29-08, 08:51 AM
Cool New Member

I know the one you're talking about but can't remember the name. I'm not sure if it was posted in a thread or buried in a review somewhere. I remember some dvdtalk person recommending it as it was a sponsor's product. They prefaced it by saying that they normally didn't push any of the dvdtalk sponsors in general, but that the product itself was really good and should be considered if you were looking for storage. This is probably useless info - sorry couldn't be more helpful.
Old 12-29-08, 08:56 AM

Ha, it's ok, I am in the same boat.

It is a sleeve basically, it holds the dvd(s) and the original slip covers without cutting it all up and stuff.
Old 12-29-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Like this?

http://www.handstands.com/retail/cd-...age-binder.php
Old 12-29-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is another semi-similar solution I saw on tv a few weeks ago:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...edia-Organizer

Don't own it, so I can't say if its binder is large enough for the covers unharmed.

There's a video tab on the page that shows QVC's presentation of the item for you to see what it's like.

Last edited by dfmaverick2; 12-29-08 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-29-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like DiscSox, which recently trimmed their prices a little -- DVD Pro version holds everything, outer artwork (even from Warner 'snapper' cases), 2 discs (with scratch protection for both, both sides), and inserts, plus room for small business card sized insert
http://www.mmdesign.com/products/dvd...oly-sleeve.htm

Bags Unlimited have something similar, but not as nice (and now a little more expensive)
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/de...duct_id=sdvdv8

Using DiscSox and small photo storage boxes, I have 500+ movies in a small 5' high, 12" x 12" shelf. Picture is here.

-beebs

Last edited by beebs; 12-29-08 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-29-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I didn't noticed there's a baby forum focus on DVD cases, insert, and cover - http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-co...es-inserts-35/

Maybe you can try this...
Old 12-29-08, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by beebs
I like DiscSox, which recently trimmed their prices a little -- DVD Pro version holds everything, outer artwork (even from Warner 'snapper' cases), 2 discs (with scratch protection for both, both sides), and inserts, plus room for small business card sized insert
http://www.mmdesign.com/products/dvd...oly-sleeve.htm

Bags Unlimited have something similar, but not as nice (and now a little more expensive)
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/de...duct_id=sdvdv8

Using DiscSox and small photo storage boxes, I have 500+ movies in a small 5' high, 12" x 12" shelf. Picture is here.

-beebs
Bingo! That's it!

Thanks fellas!

Do you just use the PRO version, or have you tried the DVD2 version? They are even cheaper, it just looks like you have to fold the cover.
Old 12-29-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the Pro version. No extra folds, holds the warner snapper covers.

Nothing wrong with the DVD2. Custom artwork for every Warner snapper is out there.

-beebs
Old 12-29-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I recently tried the Slappa product, but still prefer the DiscSox Pro since it fits everything without folding and the front and back of the artwork is still visible. Here's a little thread about Slappa:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-co...worth-not.html
Old 12-29-08, 11:20 PM

Mildly OT, but still related

A while back, I remember some discusions about meritline cases that few people were using to store their dvd collections. I will have to move/downsize next year and probably get one of these.

http://www.meritline.com/1000-cd-dvd...llet-case.html

http://www.meritline.com/wood-crocod...round-top.html

Mmm, I'll miss my dvd cases though .

Last edited by DeepBlue; 12-29-08 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 09:40 AM

Re: DVD Storage

Well, I went with Slappa over Discsox.

Price was an issue.

Let me say, these Slappa people are STAND UP!

What service! I got a free item I didnt even order. They are really cool to deal with, and I ordered it yesterday, and got it today with standard Free Shipping for orders over $75.

The product looks AWESOME, and I think it will really make life easier.
Old 01-16-09, 11:51 AM
Cool New Member

I like these sleeves from jazz loft. Saves all the paper work and you can still read the title on the edge

Artist: DVD Accessories
Label: No Label
Price: $0.60
Year: N/A
Format:

Quantity:
Comes in packages of 50 for $30.00. That's only 60 cents each!

With the popularity of our Space-Saving CD Sleeves (over 1.3 million sold since 1999!), it was only natural that we came up with the perfect solution for your growing DVD collection.

Made from extra-sturdy 8-gauge frosted vinyl, this semi-rigid sleeve holds the tray card and booklet on one side. The DVD stores in a clear archival polypropylene pocket that has a non-scratching Tyvek back and a window flap in front.

Maximize your storage space. Store 100 DVDs in the space taken by 25-30 in the standard DVD boxes.

Measurements
Open: 11 5/8" x 7 3/4"
Closed: 5 7/8" x 7 3/4"
Old 01-18-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've often wondered if there were any thinpacks that were about 1/4 inch wider. that way you could still use the cases and just wrap one end of the insert so that the spine is on the back -- without folding the insert.

Just a thought. Anyone know of anything like this?
Old 01-19-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I've often wondered if there were any thinpacks that were about 1/4 inch wider. that way you could still use the cases and just wrap one end of the insert so that the spine is on the back -- without folding the insert.

Just a thought. Anyone know of anything like this?
Not sure how this would work, as the paper insert cover would still be too long. assuming a 5 inch front and back the only difference would be the spine width.
Old 01-19-09, 12:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Huge fan of the DVDpro DiscSox...I have around 900 DVD's and have put about half of them into Sox...great product.
Old 06-20-09, 08:58 PM
cko
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by jeffrosen
I like these sleeves from jazz loft. Saves all the paper work and you can still read the title on the edge

Artist: DVD Accessories
Label: No Label
Price: $0.60
Year: N/A
Format:

Quantity:
Comes in packages of 50 for $30.00. That's only 60 cents each!

With the popularity of our Space-Saving CD Sleeves (over 1.3 million sold since 1999!), it was only natural that we came up with the perfect solution for your growing DVD collection.

Made from extra-sturdy 8-gauge frosted vinyl, this semi-rigid sleeve holds the tray card and booklet on one side. The DVD stores in a clear archival polypropylene pocket that has a non-scratching Tyvek back and a window flap in front.

Maximize your storage space. Store 100 DVDs in the space taken by 25-30 in the standard DVD boxes.

Measurements
Open: 11 5/8" x 7 3/4"
Closed: 5 7/8" x 7 3/4"

Looking at the picture, it looks like the edge title just kinda curves around? How does that affect how the sleeves stack? Wouldn't that make the stack all puffy on the left side?

Last edited by cko; 06-20-09 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-21-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Out of curiosity, for those who have elected such compact storage options, what do you do with the original packages? It seems to me that either you're still keeping them, somewhere, in which case I'm not sure I understand the benefits of the new system, or you're discarding them. If so, are you recycling them? I only ask because I'm curious what the OP meant by "minimiz[ing] the footprint" of his collection.
Old 06-21-09, 06:23 PM
cko
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Out of curiosity, for those who have elected such compact storage options, what do you do with the original packages? It seems to me that either you're still keeping them, somewhere, in which case I'm not sure I understand the benefits of the new system, or you're discarding them. If so, are you recycling them? I only ask because I'm curious what the OP meant by "minimiz[ing] the footprint" of his collection.
I plan to put them in a box in the garage. My storage problem is more in the living room than overall. Although, I sometimes wonder if I should keep all the cases or just get rid on many of them. I already have a large excess of spare cases from trading I have done on barterbee.com and the like, where you send only the disc and artwork and not the case.
Old 06-22-09, 12:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 663 Likes on 445 Posts

Here's my example, and why it saves space even if you keep the original cases.

My shelfing space for DVDs was completely maxed, with hundreds of DVDs being kept in different rooms or in even in boxes. After converting many of my original cases to slimcases, my entire collection is now easily accessible and completely viewable in one room.

Yes, my closets/storage site now have boxes of empty cases, but I'd rather have empty cases there than actual DVDs. And if I/you ever don't have room in the closet (or basement or attic or parent's home or whatever), then they can easily be taken to the recycling center. I'm keeping them all for now, thinking that perhaps one day I'll have more space, or find someone that really wants the original cases, or sell the OOP expensive ones in their original packaging.
Old 06-22-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

As Trevor stated below, the issue is display space for the collection. When I converted everything to thin cases, I cut the footprint of my collection down in half. So it takes up half as much space on the display shelf. I did save the original cases, just in case, as Trevor stated, I suddenly gain room, or I want to get rid of some titles. These empty cases are in boxes and in the attic. Plenty of storage space up there for that. The premium is the storage space in the movie watching room.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Here's my example, and why it saves space even if you keep the original cases.

My shelfing space for DVDs was completely maxed, with hundreds of DVDs being kept in different rooms or in even in boxes. After converting many of my original cases to slimcases, my entire collection is now easily accessible and completely viewable in one room.

Yes, my closets/storage site now have boxes of empty cases, but I'd rather have empty cases there than actual DVDs. And if I/you ever don't have room in the closet (or basement or attic or parent's home or whatever), then they can easily be taken to the recycling center. I'm keeping them all for now, thinking that perhaps one day I'll have more space, or find someone that really wants the original cases, or sell the OOP expensive ones in their original packaging.
Old 06-22-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

I've converted about 77.4% of my collection to 7 mm spine Thinpaks (414 out of 535), several weird or thick cases I've converted to 14 mm spine standard size cases (34 out of 535) and I've just thrown away the original packaging. Unfortunately I still have 87 out of 535 sets in the original packaging - lots of those are TV on DVD - the weird cases and so on. I have been able to convert some weird sized TV on DVD boxes to 8 disc cases (30 mm spine). I don't fold anything at all - I download the coverart from r1db.com and what they don't have as Thinpak - I use PhotoShop and convert it to Thinpak. In some cases I have been forced to photograph the original covers and convert to Thinpak that way (I obviously don't have a scanner).

Getting rid of the original packaging is especially desirable with the new Sony "recycle packages".

The footprint of my collection has decreased considerably!

You might also like to read more about Thinpaks in the "DVD Covers, Cases & Inserts" forum - there are many threads there about converting to Thinpaks.

Last edited by danwiz; 06-22-09 at 06:50 PM.