Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

*GASP* - New Year's Day Looney Tunes marathon on the CN!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-08, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shockingly, the Cartoon Network will be airing a Looney Tunes marathon on New Year's Day, from 6 AM - 8 PM (EST).

According to this post over on the goldenagecartoon forum, this is a one time event, and the network will determine whether or not to utilize the Looney Tunes library for the 2009 TV year based upon viewership.

I'm sure these shorts will be edited, and such, but still, I'm just glad to see them on TV. It's hard to believe that you can't find them on TV anymore, when just a few years ago, you could always find them somewhere!

Just wanted to pass the word along, in case anyone else was like me, and not aware of this.
Old 12-27-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy crap, it's about time. I never understood how CARTOON NETWORK didn't show the Looney Toons. I remember as a kid, the last thing Nickelodeon would show (at least on the weekends) was an hour of Looney Tunes before turning into Nick at Night. (I remember the weekend switch as my Grandma had cable and we spend many weekends there with family)
Old 12-27-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although Warner Bros. and CN are sister companies, WB pulled the use of Looney Tunes from CN because they wanted to sell the library to any network or entity that would buy them. CN doesn't make that much money, so they weren't able to pay what WB wanted. Sadly, no one else out there thought it was worth having the library either.
Old 12-27-08, 04:11 PM

awesome! I'm slowly but surely collecting the golden collections. There aren't too many cartoons that are of quality and are funny!
Old 12-29-08, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CharlieK
Sadly, no one else out there thought it was worth having the library either.
Instead, Saturday morning is full of Raven, 30 minute toy commercials, and the thousandth Power Rangers variation.
Old 12-29-08, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
It's sad no one is showing Looney Tunes anyone. I grew up watching them. As a adult, I used to look forward to the June Bugs marathon on CN. Kids today don't have a clue to how great Saturday mornings used to be.

Like one poster already mentioned, Saturday mornings are filled with nothing but Disney channel live action shows or news programs. Why did networks do away with their Saturday morning cartoons?
Old 12-29-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Stuff like Tiny Toons and Animaniacs were great attempts to recapture the zaniness of the original WB toons, but nothing will ever compare.
Old 12-29-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Looney Tunes marathon on CN
Twilight Zone marathon on Sci-Fi
I Love Lucy marathon on TVLand
Honeymooners marathon on WGN

So what's the deal? Great old shows that are hardly ever on anymore. I would assume because of ratings, not enough interest. There have been threads on three on these channels about their shift from classic to more recent programming? Why not Battlestar Galactica(new), Scrubs, Cosby Show, etc? Nobody watches TV over new years so show the stuff that gets the lowest ratings? Like networks put on their lowest rated shows on saturday nights?
Except for the commercials this is TV heaven to me.
Old 12-29-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Cartoon Network should try to obtain rerun rights to fun 80s and 90s cartoons instead of wasting their time with this way-too-old stuff that is now highly edited.

I even hated Looney Tunes when they were on Nickelodeon in reruns when I was a child. I loved me some Nick-At-Nite classic sitcoms, but no thanks on Bugs Bunny. I'd rather watch Tiny Toons Buster was way cooler. So, if a lot of my generation feels the same way about Looney Tunes (ie. no desire to rewatch them like we do with say 80s cartoons) I can see why CN / no other network really wants to spend the cash to pick up the rights to air these.

Last edited by nightwing82; 12-29-08 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-01-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TTT for a reminder.
Old 01-01-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looney Tunes Marathon on Cartoon Network - All Day Today

What seems like the first time in a lot of years, Looney Tunes is back on TV (at least Cartoon Network). I believe they moved them to Boomerang for awhile, but they're running a New Year's Day marathon with a lot of classics. I know there's a lot of people that own the DVDs out there, but it's nice to see them on TV again.

It's so bizarre, since back in the 80s and 90s TBS, TNT, Nickelodeon, and syndication used to air them all the time and now you can't see them at all. Quite sad, since even after all these years, the quality of these are 100x that of what most kids watch nowadays.
Old 01-01-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you not see the thread only about 4-5 down the first page?
Old 01-01-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Did you not see the thread only about 4-5 down the first page?
Nope.

Feel free to merge then. Or delete. Whatever.
Old 01-01-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Merged the two threads.
Old 01-01-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm loving it.