Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about speakers w/ HT receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep in mind when reading this - you will probably ridicule me as I know little about home theater wiring and speakers.

I have a home theater-in-a-box right now, but given my quickly growing collection of Blu-Rays, am wanting to get something put together that supports TrueHD. My search has led me to the low-priced (definitely a major factor) Onkyo TX-SR606 (http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR606...0343416&sr=1-1).

I have speakers with my current HTIAB system, obviously, and was hoping to be able to use them. But....

...the speakers I have plug into jacks on my subwoofer that look like the "Zone 2" jacks on the back of the Onkyo (bottom right). From looking at this, it looks like I'd need to get new speakers with the type of wiring that would work with the "Class 2 Wiring" section.

So my question is...is there an adapter of any sort that would allow me to keep my current speakers (for now)? If not, can someone recommend an affordable set of speakers to go with this receiver?
Old 12-26-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
I've said it once, I've said it a million times: you are waisting your money and time if you are trying to go lossless/the new HD audio formats with cheap speakers. This would include HTiB speakers.

You would be improving your overall audio much more by upgrading your speakers then by upgrading your reciever to one that would lossless.

And don't forget, you don't need to upgrade your receiver to get the newest formats. There are a couple of reasonably priced BD players that have 7.1 analog outs that handle the newest formats on board. So you might be able to use your existing HT receiver to get lossless.
Old 12-27-08, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure you've only said that 65,992 times. I've been counting.

To the OP, the connections on the 606 are called binding posts. You unscrew them a bit, stick the bare wire you have now in the side (which is not visible in that pic), then screw them back down to hold the wire. No need to buy anything else.

But, you can buy something if you wish. You can get any number of connectors that can be attached in various ways to binding posts. The most direct is called banana plugs, that should plug directly into the binding post.
Old 12-27-08, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, hypothetically, let's say I splurge and buy these: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-SKS-HT54.../dp/B000GU78Z4

Would I need those banana plugs? I assume not - that I could get these and the 606 and not need anything else?
Old 12-27-08, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can wire your HTiB speakers to those large screw terminals, no problem. I've had great success with this for myself and other's I've helped. Make sure you check the ohm rating on those kit speakers. Often they can be lower than 8 ohm, which is the common default setting for these AVRs.

Also, you certainly can hear a difference with calibrated but inexpensive speakers -- it might not be much of a difference, but my ears suck... and I've had cheap $300 HTiB speakers, and it's pretty clear when you hear TrueHD vs. DD in good mix. Aggressive mixes are very easy to tell.

With the price of lossless AVRs hoving around $300-400, you might as well bite. You can always upgrade the speakers later.

-beebs
Old 12-27-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The question is not of hearing any difference. The question is, if you are on a budget, where do you get the most bang for your buck?

You will hear, much, much, MUCH more of an improvement by upgrading speakers then by upgrading receiver to go lossless. It is not even close.

Sure if you have the money, get the new receiver, upgrade speakers, get a SVS sub. Lossless is worth it! But if you don't have the money to do it. Or to do it all at once, the single biggest improvement in sound will be in speakers. There is no doubt.
Old 12-27-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by abrg923
So, hypothetically, let's say I splurge and buy these: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-SKS-HT54.../dp/B000GU78Z4

Would I need those banana plugs? I assume not - that I could get these and the 606 and not need anything else?
Most, including myself would recommend against Onkyo speakers. Nice receivers, not so nice speakers.

Get speakers from a speaker company. Not a receiver company. Paradigm, KEF, Klipsch, Celestion, even Polk, NHT, Mirage, or maybe the SVS set up!
Old 12-27-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-28-08, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. Upgrade speakers first, receiver later.

But that's not what the OP is asking and Spiky already answered his question.
Old 12-28-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spiky
lol....