Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hmmmm, where are the bargains at?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Hmmmm, where are the bargains at?

Probably just me, but no Amazon Blu-ray deals. What's going on here. I thought we'd see something.
Old 12-26-08, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Friday seemed to be the beginning and end of the deals. Gotta maintain the artificially high premium price for those BDs so that everyone knows they're special, ya know?
Old 12-26-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, most people don't buy about 40 Blu-ray movies in a few months like I did recently. So, I think it has nothing to do with premium prices, and more of my yearning for some high-quality images on my HDTV.

You should by Iron Man on Blu-ray when it comes down to $15. You won't regret it.
Old 12-26-08, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh the deals are there, you just have to go the premium section to find out.
Old 12-26-08, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch MOVIES, not RESOLUTION and frankly don't want to spend $25+ for a movie when I can wait a few months and get it as a regular 4/$20 PPV at Blockbuster. Of my 1400+ titles, I've got 61 BDs and 80-odd (not sure, DVD Profiler can't filter combo discs) HD DVDs - only 10% of my collection - and the majority of those were either review copies, or used ones scored for less than $8 a pop. I've got two HDTV setups and am picky about image quality, but I'm not so frigging anal about it that I'm distracted that I'm not watching Baby Mama or Step Brothers in 1080p.

The BF sales were great. Rambo Trilogy for $17 on BD? SOLD! Mad Men S1 on BD for the same price? Well, it was a blind buy, but SOLD! Indy IV and Iron Dude for $18? RING ME UP! But those were the exceptions this season. Wall-E and Dark Knight set me back $21 and $24 and those were exceptions to my aversion to paying more than $15 for hi-def.

While you are obviously wealthy enough to indulge your HD habit, here in the real world where people are losing their jobs and homes, charging $35+ MSRPs guarantees Blu-ray's failure as a format. I could've predicted this a year ago when the cabal that murdered HD DVD for the sin of being too inexpensive for the greedy CE makers and studios and that was before the economy was driven into the ditch. Now all we have are overpriced discs which, nice as they are, aren't impressive enough to the vast majority of consumers to warrant the premium price tag.

The proof that prices are 1000% gouging is the 5-disc Blade Runner CE that's at Amazon for $25. They could do a massive polish on the classic film - c'mon, they put Joanna Cassidy's head on the stuntwoman's body and Harrison Ford's son's mouth over his - and give us three HD/BD discs with FIVE versions of the film, PLUS two more DVDs with a 3-1/2 hour documentary PLUS extras, extras, and more extras for the same price as the crapfest that was Rise of the Silver Surfer single disc BD commands. Um, right. I don't think so. I dread what they're gonna try and charge us for Lord of the Rings or Star Wars when those come.

I used to eagerly pay $15-$18 for the new releases on Tuesdays. Then I waited for 2/$20 PPVs, now it's $4-$5 each or nothing, so I'm not interested in going back to the old price points, especially when the quality of BDs is NOT *perfect* as advertised. The shimmering of windows on Dark Knight; the waxy complexion of Angelina Jolie from overdosed filtering; or the still crappy sections of Transformers (the scenes where the S7 team shows up) are but a few of the examples where people have been charged a premium for a sub-standard presentation.
Old 12-26-08, 03:48 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Instead of going to the premium forum, you can just go to one of the other bargain AV forums for blu ray on other sites. I've found others which are giving more details on the bestbuy and amazon blu sale this weekend and other deals.

Last edited by g; 12-26-08 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-26-08, 04:57 AM

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...ag=rssfeeds-20
Old 12-26-08, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
I watch MOVIES, not RESOLUTION and frankly don't want to spend $25+ for a movie when I can wait a few months and get it as a regular 4/$20 PPV at Blockbuster. Of my 1400+ titles, I've got 61 BDs and 80-odd (not sure, DVD Profiler can't filter combo discs) HD DVDs - only 10% of my collection - and the majority of those were either review copies, or used ones scored for less than $8 a pop. I've got two HDTV setups and am picky about image quality, but I'm not so frigging anal about it that I'm distracted that I'm not watching Baby Mama or Step Brothers in 1080p.

The BF sales were great. Rambo Trilogy for $17 on BD? SOLD! Mad Men S1 on BD for the same price? Well, it was a blind buy, but SOLD! Indy IV and Iron Dude for $18? RING ME UP! But those were the exceptions this season. Wall-E and Dark Knight set me back $21 and $24 and those were exceptions to my aversion to paying more than $15 for hi-def.

While you are obviously wealthy enough to indulge your HD habit, here in the real world where people are losing their jobs and homes, charging $35+ MSRPs guarantees Blu-ray's failure as a format. I could've predicted this a year ago when the cabal that murdered HD DVD for the sin of being too inexpensive for the greedy CE makers and studios and that was before the economy was driven into the ditch. Now all we have are overpriced discs which, nice as they are, aren't impressive enough to the vast majority of consumers to warrant the premium price tag.

The proof that prices are 1000% gouging is the 5-disc Blade Runner CE that's at Amazon for $25. They could do a massive polish on the classic film - c'mon, they put Joanna Cassidy's head on the stuntwoman's body and Harrison Ford's son's mouth over his - and give us three HD/BD discs with FIVE versions of the film, PLUS two more DVDs with a 3-1/2 hour documentary PLUS extras, extras, and more extras for the same price as the crapfest that was Rise of the Silver Surfer single disc BD commands. Um, right. I don't think so. I dread what they're gonna try and charge us for Lord of the Rings or Star Wars when those come.

I used to eagerly pay $15-$18 for the new releases on Tuesdays. Then I waited for 2/$20 PPVs, now it's $4-$5 each or nothing, so I'm not interested in going back to the old price points, especially when the quality of BDs is NOT *perfect* as advertised. The shimmering of windows on Dark Knight; the waxy complexion of Angelina Jolie from overdosed filtering; or the still crappy sections of Transformers (the scenes where the S7 team shows up) are but a few of the examples where people have been charged a premium for a sub-standard presentation.
Your post has a lot of conflicting info. First you say you watch movies not resolution, but then you have 61 Blu-ray titles and roughly 140 HD DVDs?

Then you say Blu-ray titles are too expensive, but then you made an exception to your own rule by purchasing them at their higher price points because some titles were "your favorites".

Third, you're calling Blu-ray an eventual failure yet you have 60+ Blu-ray movies?

So, you're confusing me here. By your own definition, Blu-ray is actually going to succeed because if everyone was like you, they'd have a few hundred HD movies, while complaining at the same time HD was going to fail.

All the movies you mention having problems (Transformers, TDK) are best-selling HD titles. They made record-breaking sales. I'll give you Rise of the Silver Surfer because I don't think it did too well. But that's one movie.

Hell, I need drink after reading your post. In any case, Amazon has a few deals right now which I might take advantage of. And no, I'm not wealthy. Just a frugal shopper.
Old 12-26-08, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sandman007
Thanks. I see a few good deals here. Got an email on this, but I'm surprised I didn't get one earlier today.
Old 12-26-08, 07:16 AM

Thanks for posting this great bargain!!!
Old 12-26-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DirkBelig

This sounds like a "dear diary" type of post.
Old 12-26-08, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Great!
Where's the deal on the premium section?
Old 12-26-08, 08:54 AM
Defunct Account

Right here: Use the coupon HOL-PZXV0 before January 2nd, 2009 and get $10 off
Old 12-26-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by John Sinnott
Right here: Use the coupon HOL-PZXV0 before January 2nd, 2009 and get $10 off
I wasn't sure if this was some kind of inside joke I didn't get, but that code did not work on Amazon. Was it for a different site?
Old 12-26-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Numes
I wasn't sure if this was some kind of inside joke I didn't get, but that code did not work on Amazon. Was it for a different site?
No, that's the discount code to get premium membership on DVDTalk for $10 instead of $20.
Old 12-26-08, 09:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
So does that mean deals are getting posted in the premium forum and not here?
Old 12-26-08, 10:03 AM
Cool New Member

I assume they mean dvdtalk featured deals, and not just generally searched out deals.
Old 12-26-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Surfinhank
So does that mean deals are getting posted in the premium forum and not here?
The winky indicates he is joking, don't sign up for it expecting anything special.
Old 12-26-08, 10:13 AM

So do you guys regret not pulling the trigger on some of those black friday deals? I certainly have some regrets on not buying some of those video games and blu ray deals. You somehow thought those deals would last....
Old 12-26-08, 10:16 AM

I regret not buying Entourage and The office during Black Friday!
Old 12-26-08, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Anono
I regret wasting my time reading this thread
Old 12-26-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about taking the time to post in it?
Old 12-26-08, 11:40 AM

I've read a lot of articles this morning about how drastically retailers are slashing prices. Unfortunately, I've yet to discover any of this actually happening.

(Yeah, I know this is a joke thread at this point, but I'm damn bored.)
Old 12-26-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SI78
I've read a lot of articles this morning about how drastically retailers are slashing prices. Unfortunately, I've yet to discover any of this actually happening.

(Yeah, I know this is a joke thread at this point, but I'm damn bored.)
Personally, I can afford to be patient (or can ill-afford NOT to be patient). I'm betting that the economy will drive some great sales coming up. That and listening to the news report that the stores are a LOT slower today (the day after Christmas) than they thought they would be just makes me believe there are going to be some big reductions coming up.
Old 12-26-08, 11:55 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Anono
The office is on sale again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.