Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Bad expereince @ Target

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Bad expereince @ Target

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-08, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad expereince @ Target

I went there a couple days ago to buy a few things including the Nightmare Before Christmas Blu-Ray that they had on sale. Once I got home I realized that the cashier hadn't removed the Blu-Ray from the thick plastic case they keep it in to prevent theft.

So reluctantly the next day I have to go back and deal with having to find parking (holiday shoppers), and get this taken care of. I go up to Returns/Customer service and hand the girl the encased Blu-Ray along with my receipt and tell her, "I bought this yesterday and didn't notice until I got home that the guy forgot to take this plastic case off".

I figure since I have the receipt she'll take the plastic off and I'll be out of there quick. Instead, she doesn't say a word, takes the movie and receipt and walks out from behind the counter past me about 40 feet, and goes inside an unmarked door. A second later she comes out sans my movie or receipt, and just stands there. I'm still at the counter looking at her since I had seen where she went. She glances at me for a sec, then turns to look away. She's just standing there, and now I'm like WTF.

After about ten minutes I walk over there and ask what's going on. At this point she tells me the security guy is looking at the video footage. I remind her that I have a receipt and she counters with, "they're supposed to remove the plastic". I took this as she was implying that I could have still stolen in. I told her that the guy ringing me up originally was talking with this buddy which is probably why he didn't do his job correctly. Right when I was about to ask to speak to the manager (which I should have done earlier) the security guy emerged with my receipt and movie.

I left hella pissed. First it's their fault for giving me the movie without removing the security device. Then after making time to return and get it removed the employee esentially walks away for a long time without so much as a word as to what is going on. I felt like I was unfairly treated like a criminal and they made me wait for so long without any indication as to what was going on.

Unless this is protocol for when someone returns with a security device attached to their item WITH A RECEIPT. But I doubt it...

effin douchbags.

Last edited by Icon769; 12-24-08 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-24-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Why didn't you just break it off yourself?
Old 12-24-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did the security guy at least apologize? I'd still talk with a manger.
Old 12-24-08, 08:04 PM

If there was a way to break it off myself without damaging the Blu-Ray itself I would have attempted it.

As the security guard handed me the movie and receipt back I said "so I didn't steal it huh?" He said something along the lines of no. I'm not even sure, I was so pissed I just wanted to get out of there. But definitely no apology, I remember that cause I was expecting one.
Old 12-24-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Call the 1-800 number and ask who the DM is for the stores in the area. Call him and leave a message with his secretary or on his voice mail. You'll most likely get a $25 gift card.
Old 12-24-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I wonder, as board members of all these endangered corporations (not that Target's on that list yet) frantically scramble to find ways of keeping their businesses afloat how many of them will even think about addressing the issue of how their customers are treated.
Old 12-24-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would suspect that the employee you delt with today was actually doing their job. You have to think that people actually do try to pull things like bring in a reciept, go back pick one up and try to pull a fast one.

Yes, the employee could have handled it better, but welcome to customer service in the 21st century.......
Old 12-24-08, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Icon769
I went there a couple days ago to buy a few things including the Nightmare Before Christmas Blu-Ray that they had on sale. Once I got home I realized that the cashier hadn't removed the Blu-Ray from the thick plastic case they keep it in to prevent theft.

So reluctantly the next day I have to go back and deal with having to find parking (holiday shoppers), and get this taken care of. I go up to Returns/Customer service and hand the girl the encased Blu-Ray along with my receipt and tell her, "I bought this yesterday and didn't notice until I got home that the guy forgot to take this plastic case off".

I figure since I have the receipt she'll take the plastic off and I'll be out of there quick. Instead, she doesn't say a word, takes the movie and receipt and walks out from behind the counter past me about 40 feet, and goes inside an unmarked door. A second later she comes out sans my movie or receipt, and just stands there. I'm still at the counter looking at her since I had seen where she went. She glances at me for a sec, then turns to look away. She's just standing there, and now I'm like WTF.

After about ten minutes I walk over there and ask what's going on. At this point she tells me the security guy is looking at the video footage. I remind her that I have a receipt and she counters with, "they're supposed to remove the plastic". I took this as she was implying that I could have still stolen in. I told her that the guy ringing me up originally was talking with this buddy which is probably why he didn't do his job correctly. Right when I was about to ask to speak to the manager (which I should have done earlier) the security guy emerged with my receipt and movie.

I left hella pissed. First it's their fault for giving me the movie without removing the security device. Then after making time to return and get it removed the employee esentially walks away for a long time without so much as a word as to what is going on. I felt like I was unfairly treated like a criminal and they made me wait for so long without any indication as to what was going on.

Unless this is protocol for when someone returns with a security device attached to their item WITH A RECEIPT. But I doubt it...

effin douchbags.
So what they are doing their job.People always need something to complain
about.
DG
Old 12-24-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
How did you make it all the way home without realising that the Blu-Ray was still in the security case?
Old 12-24-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what I thought. I always check my stuff when I get into my car...just in case something was forgotten. You never know.. Well, you know now anyway.
Old 12-24-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
I don't want this to come across as if the blame falls on you, OP. However, all of this could have been avoided had you noticed they failed to remove the plastic case before you left the store the first time. You obviously recall specific details of your trip through the line the first time (the cashier talking to his buddy), and perhaps were distracted yourself from noticing it wasn't taken care of then.

I've gotten in the habit a long time ago of paying close attention to things as I'm being checked out....too often I've see cashier's accidentally scan something twice or a price ring up incorrectly. Granted, it sounds like the folks in customer service could have been a bit more polite, but it certainly sounds like they were doing what they needed to do in addressing the matter.
Old 12-25-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
While wrapping presents earlier I found a security tag still on an article of clothing ... we'll see what happens when I take it back.

That doesn't say too much for their security system ...
Old 12-25-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
I'd still talk with a manger.
Christmas freudian slip, perhaps?
Old 12-25-08, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
While wrapping presents earlier I found a security tag still on an article of clothing ... we'll see what happens when I take it back.

That doesn't say too much for their security system ...
It's christmas...the people who work there are not robots contrary to what some seem to think. People slip, shit happens.
Old 12-25-08, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This happened to me at Media Play when they were still in business with a CD. I was at the Customer Service for nearly AN HOUR as they went back, without a single word to me, to check to make sure I didn't steal it.

Now they're out of business.
Old 12-25-08, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Moopher
It's christmas...the people who work there are not robots contrary to what some seem to think. People slip, shit happens.
And probably seasonal employees who haven't been at the job very long. I do however think the girl could have treated the OP like a human being. I think he should call the district manager and see what they say.
Old 12-25-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't really see anything wrong with this. It sucks for the honest customer but it's standard Lost Prevention procedure. If they didn't take steps to make sure you didn't steal it, they would open their doors for the assholes of the world to rip them off clean.

Day 1: Buy a Blu-Ray
Day 2: Go back to Target, pick up another case from the section, bring it up to customer service and with your receipt, tell them the cashier didn't unlock the case.
Day 3: With receipt, return the Blu-Ray you purchased and now you got a free Blu-Ray.

When I managed a record store, I used to run into some jokers who would pull this stunt, but with CD's that were locked in those plastic cases.
Old 12-25-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I don't really see anything wrong with this. It sucks for the honest customer but it's standard Lost Prevention procedure. If they didn't take steps to make sure you didn't steal it, they would open their doors for the assholes of the world to rip them off clean.

Day 1: Buy a Blu-Ray
Day 2: Go back to Target, pick up another case from the section, bring it up to customer service and with your receipt, tell them the cashier didn't unlock the case.
Day 3: With receipt, return the Blu-Ray you purchased and now you got a free Blu-Ray.

When I managed a record store, I used to run into some jokers who would pull this stunt, but with CD's that were locked in those plastic cases.

Yep, pretty standard stuff. Still Im sure if you complain to the DM, you'll probably get a gift card. At the very least they should have apologized for your wait while they checked the video.
Old 12-25-08, 01:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Agree with Dean.

They could have been nicer perhaps, but were just doing their job, which prevents fraud and keeps customer costs down.

This might sound silly, but I've always had a plan if this ever happens to me. On my trip back to the store, I call the store and get a customer service desk person on the phone. I explain the situation to them and tell them that I'm walking in from outside right now, waving to them as I walk in. This should prevent any chance of them thinking I stole it.
Old 12-25-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
I see where the OP is coming from here. The people that work at hte customer service counter at my target are the shittiest of the shitty. You would think that you woul dwant your most customer service oriented people to work at the Customer Service counter. Well if these folk are their best, I would hate to see their worst. They are hands down the worst ever when it comes to customer service. Both in store and over the phone to corporate. My issue with them is that I bought an item from them, then went to return it with the receipt but they claimed that the item I bought wasnt on the reciept that they gave me when I bought it. It was a different item. They couldnt understand how they could have possibly had a mistake happen on their end. To top that off, the first thing that the "customer service" bitch did when I handed here the item was tear open the box. Not open it correctly like a civilized human being, but tear off the top of the box like the animal that she was.

Back to the OP, I can totally see how the OP didn't notice the case on the blueray until he got home. Who actually checks every item in their bags before they leave? I happen to check to make sure I have everything, but I dont check them close enough to notice a clear plastic case around a dvd or blueray. I have had that happen before with clothes and with cds and dvds. I always just break the cases off. They come off real easily if you know what you are doing. But, the alarm should have sounded when he left the store. So it sounds like not only did the cashier not do his job, but anyone that was working the door at the time didnt do their job as well. Not surprising of a target employee.
Old 12-25-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Another person here that doesn't see anything wrong, other then the poor communication as to what they were doing. Seems pretty standard for them to review some footage to make sure that you didn't just grab a new sealed copy or something.

Of course, Blu-ray's at the Targets here aren't sealed in any plastic. So maybe your particular Target has had issues with theft and thus would be extra careful.

I'm always curious why people get so angry or feel so threatened in these situations, as though its a slap in the face that there are policies and procedures that have to be followed.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-25-08 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-25-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
This might sound silly, but I've always had a plan if this ever happens to me. On my trip back to the store, I call the store and get a customer service desk person on the phone. I explain the situation to them and tell them that I'm walking in from outside right now, waving to them as I walk in. This should prevent any chance of them thinking I stole it.
I don't see how this scenario could remove ALL doubt from a CSRs mind as to whether it was shoplifted in the first place -- maybe even on a prior visit.
Old 12-25-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I keep seeing posts from people who don't feel that Target did anything wrong, that their employees were simply doing their job. I understand that perspective, and yes, they did things by the book and that's entirely reasonable. The OP's beef--and the issue I would take with Target over this incident--is not whatwas done, but how it was done.

Once upon a time, I bought some DVD's at Dollar General. I made it as far as the car before I discovered that they were still encased in their plastic cases. I walked right back inside with them, and the cashier that had three minutes earlier been as sweet as sugar couldn't possibly have acted any more put out and bothered by me. There's something about having your own mistake brought inescapably to your attention that makes a lot of people defensive to the point of rudeness.
Old 12-25-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm always curious why people get so angry or feel so threatened in these situations, as though its a slap in the face that there are policies and procedures that have to be followed.
I recall a situation I had at a local Blockbuster some years ago. I purchased a used game as part of a sale -- it may have been B1G1 or similar. I don't even recall if the clerk opened the case to verify there was a disc inside but when I arrived home I noticed the game was not the version pictured. I had a Max Payne 2 case but inside was a Max Payne (Platinum Hits) disc. I immediately called the store and was back there in a half hour or so. They didn't take too long in discussing it amongst themselves but they did let me choose another game. However, I did feel a little uneasy wondering if they suspected that I had pulled some kind of switcheroo on them.
Old 12-25-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
Christmas freudian slip, perhaps?
Nicely played, Gerry!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.