Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Moore as Bond: yay or nay

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Moore
yay
72.73%
nay
27.27%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 04:11 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going with yay.

He had a professionalism about himself. Moore only got angry for moral purposes and never for revenge or ego as the others did, when he has a meltdown in Octopussy because the guy wants to nuke people, or saying to Scaramanga's face how he would take pleasure in annihilating him. He also did not have this knack for the recklessness & cockyness, Moore was above that pettyness, he never let his dick think for him. Connery screwed up constantly in Goldfinger, in Thunderball he beds the evil chick just to show he could, leading to his dumb capture, the others need for pleasure also put them in danger. Never Saint Moore, he was above all that.'James i need you' 'So does England!'

Moore had these very wicked fiery eyes during the moments when he would go cold, which were pretty startling, especially since most of the time he was easy-going or relaxed. I liked how he used his wits to overcome his physical shortcomings, he would cheat, especially depriving Scaramanga of a fair shooting game by pretending to be the wax statue and shooting him in the dark. Speaking of that, Moore was the smartest, knowing the most obscure things and commanding men in battle. He was the only one to diffuse a nuclear bomb (2 even), even Brosnan needed help from a big boobied bimbo. Connery was dumbstruck pulling wires. He even knows the exact class of Stromberg's fish, and he's not even a marine biologist! He made it a point to end things permanently, finally killing Blofeld after others couldn't be bothered to. He really put many bullets into Stromberg just in case the intoxicated croak would survive. Moore really did do things "coldly and objectively", M would be proud! Whattya think?

Last edited by FRwL; 12-22-08 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
I liked him but as a kid I could not figure out why he didn't look like Sean Connery... I didn't know that they switched actors and as a kid it was hard to comprehend...
Old 12-22-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nay.

Worst. Bond. Ever.
Old 12-22-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Grew up with his films so it's a yay. But then again Craig's gonna lose any "vs" category in my opinion.
Old 12-22-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to second it with the worst Bond ever.

1. Connery
2. Dalton
3. Lazenby
4. Craig
5. Brosnan
6. Moore

The only Moore ones I dig are Live and Let Die (duh) and Moonraker (I don't know why I like it).

Brosnan could've been a great Bond, only if all the films he were in didn't suck (Goldeneye being the exception).
Old 12-22-08, 04:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Definite Yay. I actually preferred the humor he brought and the light-weight approach he took with the franchise. Sure he had a couple duds ('Moonraker', 'A View to a Kill', imo), but two of my favorite Bond movies are from the Moore-era ('The Spy Who Loved Me' & 'Octopussy') -- with the former having the best opening sequence of any Bond film to date (again, imo).
Old 12-22-08, 04:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sure, I liked him. He played the character very differently than Connery, but he was consistent and fun in the role. Some of the latter films were terrible, but they were problems at the script level more than anything.
Old 12-22-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nay. Other than Live and Let Die, his outing as Bond was just pure cheese. He and Dalton, by far, the worst Bonds.
Old 12-22-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll concede that he was a little too old for the role in his last couple of outings, but definitiely a 'yay'. I liked his Bond persona, he was a good, charismatic actor, and he was just the perfect 70's Bond.

I've really liked all the Bond actors fairly equally---I wish Lazenby and Dalton had been given a few more chances, and I wish Brosnan had been given more good movies besides Goldeneye.
Old 12-22-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The next one of you primitive screwheads even THINKS about saying Roger Moore sucks and you get a taste of my BOOMstick.
Old 12-22-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
He was the most debonair of the Bonds and he made most of my favourite entries in the franchise: For Your Eyes Only, Live and Let Die, The Spy Who Loved Me, and Octopussy.
Moonraker does suck, though.
Old 12-22-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I'm a Fleming purist, so on that level I get frustrated by the Moore outings. Still, at the end of the day, Bond is escapist fun and Moore definitely delivers that. Besides, The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only are both outstanding entries in the series, on par I would say, with Connery's two best (From Russia with Love and Goldfinger). I also have tremendous respect for Moore as a person, shamelessly exploiting his popularity as James Bond to benefit UNICEF.
Old 12-22-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moore is probably the most likable Bond at least! If you had to hang out with one Bond, who would it be? Connery, Craig, Lazenby, Dalton, and and Brosnan all seem sort of asshole-ish...
Old 12-22-08, 08:34 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Definite Yay. I actually preferred the humor he brought and the light-weight approach he took with the franchise.
He played with the role and was camp before camp became bad. Does no one remember the 70's?
Old 12-22-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I didn't mind him. Some of my favorite Bond movies are with him like Moonraker and Live and Let Die.
Old 12-22-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
He's the Bond I grew up watching so he gets a yay from me.
Old 12-22-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm working my way through Bond on Blu-ray, and having only seen Moore in Live and Let Die, I'm not impressed.
Old 12-22-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
The next one of you primitive screwheads even THINKS about saying Roger Moore sucks and you get a taste of my BOOMstick.
Roger Moore sucks. Roger Moore sucks. Roger Moore sucks.

Old 12-22-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I had to say 'nay,' simply because while he did two very good Bond films: TSWLM and FYEO, he also did three of the worst: Octopussy, A View to a Kill, and Moonraker.

I'd argue TMwTGG was crap too simply because they had Christopher Lee and watered his character down to a very sad point, but I know a lot of people seem to like that one.

Still I like Moore as an actor and from what I've heard he's a great person, a true gentleman in person. I feel the same way about Brosnan, he made two great Bond films, but followed them with one very mediocre one and one of the worst ever made.

If anything they were both the victims of terrible writing, because they definitely looked like they made the best with the material they were given.
Old 12-22-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When in a good movie (For Your Eyes Only) Roger Moore really shined, but the camp of some of the movies really killed him for me.

"Die Another Day" may have had some really silly stuff in it (namely, the invisible car) But Brosnan never:

Got a double take from a damn seagull.
Swung from vines while the Tarzan yell played.

Plus Moore was in "A View To A Kill" which makes "Diamonds Are Forever" look like the greatest Bond movie ever made.
Old 12-22-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
When in a good movie (For Your Eyes Only) Roger Moore really shined, but the camp of some of the movies really killed him for me.

"Die Another Day" may have had some really silly stuff in it (namely, the invisible car) But Brosnan never:

Got a double take from a damn seagull.
Swung from vines while the Tarzan yell played.

Plus Moore was in "A View To A Kill" which makes "Diamonds Are Forever" look like the greatest Bond movie ever made.
He also wrestled a f-ing rubber snake!

Diamonds are Forever is awesome in my book, simply because Connery is so out of place in the 1970s, and Jimmy Dean plays a billionare.

Last edited by Boba Fett; 02-18-09 at 06:59 PM. Reason: language
Old 12-23-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yay. I like others grew up as him playing Bond.
Old 12-23-08, 12:32 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Roger Moore was my fav bond. his one liners and timing was impeccable plus he had the suave sophistication Bond requires

It was just a shame he was a bit too old when he started doing Bond. If he started a decade earlier, he would have been perfect
Old 12-23-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^My thoughts exactly
Old 12-23-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
At the time I loved Roger Moore, but then again The Spy Who Loved Me was the first Bond movie I ever saw (I saw it during it's original theatrical run).

I still think that at his best (Spy, For Your Eyes Only) he's actually very good as Bond. At his worst (in the campier movies where he isn't reined in) he's a bit hammy in the role.

I've got mixed feelings about Moore. When forced to play the character tougher and more cold hearted than he wanted to Moore really was a good Bond. That just didn't happen often enough.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.