Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bond single discs OOP already? New packaging?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-19-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The other day I went to go price the last three Bond films I need on DVD and it looks like most of the single disc releases have gone OOP already.

You Only Live Twice looks to be fetching $25+ on Amazon; luckily I only need it, Living Daylights, and Tomorrow Never Dies, which are still avaliable new.

What's the deal with MGM/Sony letting them go OOP already? Is it because of the separate two disc releases?

Also, has there been any talk of OHMSS getting a separate 2-Disc release? It was the only remastered edition I couldn't get a single disc of.
Old 12-19-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The single disc SE releases were at Big Lots recently for $4 each - were in the ad the first week of December. Mine still has a handful left, mostly Moores.

-beebs
Old 12-19-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
For $50 a set, I just went ahead and bought the Ultimate Edition boxed sets when they came out. Two years later, everyone is running far better deals on them to get them off their shelves. You might be better off just buying these and parting ways with your single releases. Plus, because they used slim cases for the boxed sets, they take up much less shelf space!
Old 12-19-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by beebs
The single disc SE releases were at Big Lots recently for $4 each - were in the ad the first week of December. Mine still has a handful left, mostly Moores.

-beebs
Yeah, these aren't the 2006-2007 remasters though.
Old 12-21-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
For $50 a set, I just went ahead and bought the Ultimate Edition boxed sets when they came out. Two years later, everyone is running far better deals on them to get them off their shelves. You might be better off just buying these and parting ways with your single releases. Plus, because they used slim cases for the boxed sets, they take up much less shelf space!
Yeah, I did that too. Replaced my original discs, as well as some of the special editions. Well worth it. I think I got all the movies for just about $100. Many deals can be had on the sets now to get these cheaper. 2 disc sets for each movie for about $5 per movie.
Old 12-21-08, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I truly only love about a third of these movies, and out and out dislike about a third of them (the later Moore movies, as well as the last Brosnan, DAD), so picking the Ultimate Editions up for $18.88 last year on Black Friday from CC was a godsend. they've had those on sale at Best Buy several times since for $20-$25 so keep your eyes peeled.
Old 12-21-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The other day I went to go price the last three Bond films I need on DVD and it looks like most of the single disc releases have gone OOP already.

You Only Live Twice looks to be fetching $25+ on Amazon; luckily I only need it, Living Daylights, and Tomorrow Never Dies, which are still avaliable new.

What's the deal with MGM/Sony letting them go OOP already? Is it because of the separate two disc releases?

Also, has there been any talk of OHMSS getting a separate 2-Disc release? It was the only remastered edition I couldn't get a single disc of.
It's no longer MGM/Sony. It's MGM/Fox which is probably why they went out of print.
Old 12-29-08, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah MGM has always had a habit of sending these movies back to the vault. I got burned the first time around when I was mising 5 movies and when they re-released those they mixed up the boxes so I couldn't get them all in one set.

When the new 5 movie sets came out I bought all four at or near release day so I wouldn't have to do that again.