Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Retro Game Challange (Nintendo DS/Early 2009) - Eight New NES Games + 80's Meta-Game

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Retro Game Challange (Nintendo DS/Early 2009) - Eight New NES Games + 80's Meta-Game

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm seeing the release date as 01/06 and 02/10, not 100% which is real yet.

Anyway, I posted about this in the DS thread but it should have its own thread.

http://www.retrogamechallenge.com/

By the way, the game I hinted at (and was writing a nice long article about) before I took my forum break is getting a US release in three weeks. It's going to be called Retro Game Challenge over here and it's basically a collection of eight BRAND NEW 8-Bit NES games wrapped around a sweet meta-game of growing up in that era.

For instance, the game takes place in different years of the NES/Famicom's lifespan and each new game is representative of what was out at that time, starting with a simple arcade style Galaxian clone in 1983 to full blown Mega Man/Ninja Gaiden style games in 1988. You also have a subscription to gaming magazine and the magazines have previews of upcoming games, cheat codes for the games you already have and interviews with the games pretend creators and companies.

You progress in the game by completing a series of challenges for each game. For instance, it could be simply "Pass Stage 5" or "Make it to Stage 2 Without Getting Hit" or "Reach 100,000 Points" (sort of like achievement, hur). Once a set number of challenges are completed, you're warped to the next year with a new game (and you can access any previous games and play them whenever you want).

The top screen is the game screen, all of the game (as far as I could tell) adhere very strictly to the graphical and audio limitations of the NES/Famicom other than using the DS screen resolution. The bottom screen has your character and their friend (the child version of the host of the game show this game was based off of) actually playing the game. If you do cool things in the game, your friend will cheer or make comments or he'll make fun of you for sucking, etc.
Old 12-17-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember hearing something about this a while ago. Only I think it was tied to some Japanese game show thing. I can't recall now.
Old 12-17-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I remember hearing something about this a while ago. Only I think it was tied to some Japanese game show thing. I can't recall now.
It was and still is but you don't really need to know the show to enjoy the game at all (knowing Arino's personality adds a layer of humor to the game but that's about it). They've actually screened subtitled episodes of the show at a few places and are working on getting DVDs released over here of it. It's actually a pretty funny show, I've seen some of the early episodes.
Old 12-17-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Sounds fun. Does it involve the touch screen? I never replaced my DS, and have kind of shelved it due to my screen issues.
Old 12-17-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I think I saw an ad for this in EGM. It looked interesting.
Old 12-17-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The 1UP Show had a feature on this awhile back. Glad its getting a US release.
Old 12-17-08, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are all of the games clones of older games? If so, which ones? This sounds pretty cool to me.
Old 12-17-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Sounds fun. Does it involve the touch screen? I never replaced my DS, and have kind of shelved it due to my screen issues.
There are some touch screen features but I think they're optional.

Originally Posted by Imprint
Are all of the games clones of older games? If so, which ones? This sounds pretty cool to me.
They're much more like homages than clones but I'd say a few of the games are pretty close to Galaxian, Gun*Nac, Ninja Kid, Ninja Gaiden and Dragon Quest. There's a racing game I can't quite put close to another game too.

The upcoming sequel has (thus far) games similar to Tetris, Karateka, Déjà Vu, Pac-Man and Super Mario Bros. The Tetris game mimics the original Game Boy style instead of the NES/Famicom and the Karateka game mimics more of a C64 early gaming PC.
Old 12-17-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Fuck yes!
Old 02-10-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Retro Game Challange (Nintendo DS/Early 2009) - Eight New NES Games + 80's Meta-G

This ships today so it should be in stores tomorrow!
Old 02-10-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Retro Game Challange (Nintendo DS/Early 2009) - Eight New NES Games + 80's Meta-G

I can't believe how stupid some reviews sound for this game.

I did like gamespot's review. Obviously he liked it but knew that some people wouldn't.
Old 02-10-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy
I can't believe how stupid some reviews sound for this game.

I did like gamespot's review. Obviously he liked it but knew that some people wouldn't.
..sigh... Here's a link to MetaCritic so you can check out all the reviews. Reception seems pretty positive with an 82 average.
Old 02-10-09, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to try to hold off on this until a few of you guys on here give me hands on impressions. The premise sounds pretty cool but several retro games i thought would be awesome turned out to not be nearly as fun now.

The camp value of this one has made me interested.
Old 02-10-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've already played it as I imported it last year (right before it was announced for a US release, sigh) and I can vouch that it's a great game if you like old NES games. The games are pretty well made, in my opinion. There's ONE game of the eight that is a disappointment, but that's simply because it is an exact repeat of a previous game with a product tie-in.
Old 02-10-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How long are the individual games? Am i going to be stuck playing a RPG spoof for like 12 hours?
Old 02-10-09, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, that's was my concern (RPG) when I read the IGN review.
Old 02-10-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, as they're NES games most of them are more arcade-like so there's no endings, per se. You get a new game by clearing a few goals from the previous game so you don't have to play the entire RPG, though you can, once you complete the set goals which only cover a third or half of the full game.
Old 02-10-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been anticipating this game for quite a while now and I hope to be picking it up later this week. Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 02-10-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy shit, this game is $40 at BestBuy.com. "Only" $28 at Amazon though.

Why was I expecting this to come in at $20? I'm definitely interested and dying for something new on the DS, but I don't think I can do it just yet.

Hopefully you guys don't talk it up too highly.
Old 02-10-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
Why was I expecting this to come in at $20? I'm definitely interested and dying for something new on the DS, but I don't think I can do it just yet.

Same here. Haven't touched the DS in a few weeks, so I'm clamoring for something new, but am going to wait this one out with you and miyu.
Old 02-10-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Holy shit, this game is $40 at BestBuy.com. "Only" $28 at Amazon though.

I was expecting the same thing!
Old 02-10-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And this is why games like RGC are lucky to actually come out here and diarrhea like Lost Via Domus become zillion sellers.
Old 02-10-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
And this is why games like RGC are lucky to actually come out here and diarrhea like Lost Via Domus become zillion sellers.
Didn't see this post coming from a mile away.
Old 02-10-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I don't have an infinite amount of money. The games I do grace with purchase are played, literally, to death. Maybe I should resell more, but I enjoy collecting what I play.

I support the innovations, the little guys, and the niche markets that I enjoy. This is one of them, but I'm put off by the price point for the concept/longevity.

I'm also not buying DQV at $40 even though it's my top priority. I just can't justify it when I know it'll be on sale in a few months.

Maybe I should do Gamefly to play the games I want for a fixed, controllable price? But then I'm still not supporting the titles properly either.
Old 02-10-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Didn't see this post coming from a mile away.
It's no less predicable than seeing a half a dozen useless "don't want" or "too expensive" posts in every thread. It's annoying and distracting to those that actually might want to discuss the actual game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.