March '09 Criterions

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

March '09 Criterions

Old 12-15-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
March '09 Criterions

Photobucket

By turns tragic and transcendent, Akira Kurosawa’s Dodes’ka-den follows the daily lives of a group of people barely scraping by in a slum on the outskirts of Tokyo. Yet as desperate as their circumstances are, each of them—the homeless father and son envisioning their dream house; the young woman abused by her uncle; the boy who imagines himself a trolley conductor—finds reasons to carry on. Kurosawa’s unforgettable film was made at a tumultuous moment in his life. And all of his hopes,
fears, and artistic passion are on fervent display in this, his gloriously shot first color film.

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
• Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create, a 36-minute documentary created as part of the Toho Masterworks series, about the making of Dodes’ka-den, including interviews with director Akira Kurosawa, script supervisor Teruyo Nogami, actor Yoshitaka Zushi (who played Rokkuchan), and other members of the cast and crew
• Theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film historian Stephen Prince and a new interview with Nogami

In a magnetic performance, Vittorio De Sica is Bardone, an opportunistic rascal in wartime Genoa, conning and cheating his fellow Italians, exploiting their tragedies by promising to help find their missing loved ones in exchange for money. But when the Nazis force him to impersonate a dead partisan general in prison to extract information from fellow inmates, Bardone finds himself wrestling with his conscience for the first time. Roberto Rossellini’s gripping drama, among his most commercially popular films, is further evidence of the compassionate artistry of one cinema’s most important voices.

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
• New video interviews with Isabella, Renzo, and Ingrid Rossellini, as well as film scholar Adriano Aprà
• New visual essay by Tag Gallagher, author of The Adventures of Roberto Rossellini
• Original theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic James Monaco and an excerpt from a 2000 interview with Indro Montanelli, author of the story that inspired the film

31 Mar 2009
DVD
1 Disc
SRP: $29.95

Photobucket

Gérard Depardieu and Wojciech Pszoniak star in Andrzej Wajda’s powerful, intimate depiction of the ideological clash between the earthy, man-of-the-people Georges Danton and icy Jacobin extremist Maximilien Robespierre, both key figures of the French Revolution. By drawing parallels to Polish “solidarity,” a movement that was being quashed by the government as the film went into production, Wajda drags history into the present. Meticulous and fiery, Danton has been hailed as one of the greatest films ever made about the Terror.

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:

• New high-definition digital transfer
• Video interviews with director Andrzej Wajda, screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière, and Polish film critic Jerzy Plazewski
• Wajda’s Danton, a 42-minute behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of the film
• Original theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Leonard Quart

Gérard Depardieu and Catherine Deneuve star as members of a French theater company living under the German occupation during World War II in François Truffaut’s gripping, humanist character study. Against all odds—a Jewish theater manager in hiding; a leading man who’s in the Resistance; increasingly restrictive Nazi oversight—the troupe believes the show must go on. Equal parts romance, historical tragedy, and even comedy, The Last Metro (Le dernier métro) is Truffaut’s ultimate tribute to art overcoming adversity, and the winner of ten César awards (France’s equivalent of the Oscars), including Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Actress.

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer (uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
• Two audio commentaries: one featuring Annette Insdorf, author of François Truffaut, and one with actor Gérard Depardieu, historian Jean-Pierre Azéma, and Truffat biographer Serge Toubiana
• Deleted scene
• French television excerpts of interviews with Truffaut, actress Catherine Deneuve, Depardieu, and actor Jean Poiret
• New video interviews with actresses Andréa Ferréol, Sabine Haudepin, and Paulette Dubost, assistant director Alain Tasma, and camera assistants Florent Bazin and Tessa Racine
• Une histoire d’eau, Truffaut’s 1958 short film co-directed by Jean-Luc Godard
• Theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A new essay by Armond White

24 Mar 2009
DVD
2 Discs
SRP: $39.95

Blu-Ray
1 Disc

Photobucket

Eclipse Series 15: Travels with Hiroshi Shimizu

Of all the directors who made names for themselves during the Japanese studio golden age of the 1930s, Hiroshi Shimizu was one of the most respected—and, today, one of the least well-known. A curious, compassionate storyteller who was fascinated by characters on the outskirts of society, Shimizu used his trademark graceful traveling shot to peek around the corners of contemporary Japan. In these four lyrical, beautifully filmed tales, concerning geisha, bus drivers, and masseurs, Shimizu journeys far and wide to find the makings of a modern nation.

Collector's set includes:

Japanese Girls at the Harbor
Hiroshi Shimizu, 1933

Shimizu’s exquisite silent drama tells of the humiliating social downfall experienced by Sunako after jealousy drives her to commit a terrible crime. With its lushly photographed landscapes and innovative visual storytelling, this film shows a director at the peak of his powers and experimentation.

The Masseurs and a Woman
Hiroshi Shimizu, 1938

A pair of blind masseurs, an enigmatic city woman, a lonely man and his ill-behaved nephew—The Masseurs and a Woman is made up of crisscrossing miniature studies of love and family at a remote resort in the mountains.

Mr. Thank You
Hiroshi Shimizu, 1936

Shimizu’s endearing road movie follows the long and winding route of a sweet-natured bus driver—nicknamed Mr. Thank You for his constant exclamation to pedestrians who kindly step out of his path—traveling from rural Izu to Tokyo.

Ornamental Hairpin
Hiroshi Shimizu, 1941

Two bruised souls enact a tender, hesitant romance in Shimizu’s alternately poignant and playful wartime love story. A soldier is waylaid at a rural spa when he accidentally cuts his foot on the titular object. Soon enough he tracks down its lovely owner and finds himself smitten.

17 Mar 2009
DVD Box Set
4 Discs
SRP: $59.95

François Truffaut sensitively re-creates the trials of his own difficult childhood in The 400 Blows, the film that marked his emergence as one of Europe’s most brilliant auteurs and signaled the beginning of the French New Wave.

24 Mar 2009

Blu-Ray
1 Disc
The Shimizu set is identical to the first Shochiku set.

Last edited by NoirFan; 03-07-09 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 06:18 PM
Banned

Finally Dodes'ka-den, it has been 8 years since it appeared in the Criterion booklet for the first time.
Old 12-15-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Il Generale....I already have the splendid Italian release, won't be upgrading.

Last Metro - Blu-ray release, of course!

Danton - sure, will upgrade the R2.

Pro-B
Old 12-15-08, 07:44 PM
Banned

All 4 of the first film releases sound really interesting. I'll need to see specs but will prob give most of these a rent at least.
Old 12-15-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes Kurosawa's Dodes'ka-den will be mine!

That was his last-movie before he died right?
Old 12-15-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cranberries fan

Not exactly. Dodes'ka-den was released in 1970. Kurasawa died in 1998. In the interim, he directed Ran, Dreams, Kagemusha and a few others.
Old 12-15-08, 10:42 PM

I can't find these on Criterion's new website... any tips on how to find them (they're not appearing under "coming soon")?

This stream of later Rossellini titles makes me wonder if/when the war trilogy (Open City, Paisan, & Germany Year Zero) is coming out.. as previously rumored.

Last edited by DVD Guy ATL; 12-15-08 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Will Netflix these, especially Dodes'ka-den and The Last Metro.
Old 12-15-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Guy ATL
I can't find these on Criterion's new website... any tips on how to find them (they're not appearing under "coming soon")?
Good luck. Their redesigned site is a bit of a mess right now.

This stream of later Rossellini titles makes me wonder if/when the war trilogy (Open City, Paisan, & Germany Year Zero) is coming out.. as previously rumored.
They certainly have been on a Rossellini kick as of late. The war trilogy would be a welcome addition - the Image Open City disc is terrible.
Old 12-16-08, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

will grab Last Metro and the kurosawa, but where is the new Walkabout and a standalone version of Le Jour se Leve?
Old 12-16-08, 06:41 AM

I'll get all of these except Dodes'ka-den; unless the disc proves to be something else. I'm not too interested in the film.

The Hiroshi Shimizu box is the most beautiful thing I've seen
Old 12-16-08, 07:06 AM

Topnotch releases I should say. I'll probably grab Dodes'ka-den and The Last Metro.
Old 12-16-08, 07:27 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All but the Eclipse are definite buys. I'm not familiar with the director of the Eclipse set; research ensues!
Old 12-16-08, 07:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
and what no bluray's ... ?!?
Old 12-16-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
and what no bluray's ... ?!?
The Last Metro is listed as coming out on Blu-ray.
Old 12-16-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by bvbtube
My uncle has been looking for that, you know where i can find it? =]
Hopefully pretty much anywhere once March rolls around.
Old 12-16-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nitin77
will grab Last Metro and the kurosawa, but where is the new Walkabout and a standalone version of Le Jour se Leve?
Good question. The upgraded Walkabout was listed in their initial BD announcement. I figured the ones on that initial list would get released first (along with their SD counterparts). That doesn't seem to be the case since I don't believe that The Last Metro was on that first list, yet it's coming in March on both SD and BD. Walkabout is one of my favorite films, so I'm certainly looking forward to the upgrade. I hope we do get it this year. Criterion can be notorious for delievering things long after they begin to talk them up.

No idea about Le Jour se Leve either.

On the bright side...El Norte next month!
Old 12-16-08, 09:50 AM

Excellent! need Dodes'ka-den to complete my Kurosawa collection.
Old 12-16-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by cranberries fan

As said before, not exactly, but he did attempt suicide after it wasn't well recieved. That said, I'm thrilled that we're seeing some more Kurosawa, and can't wait for some of his Blu-rays.
Old 12-16-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Original post updated to include specs and synopsis. Why isn't the cover art showing up anymore?
Old 12-16-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All four of these are Criterion worthy, but Danton is easily the pick of the litter for March.
Old 12-16-08, 05:55 PM
Banned

I like the looks of the extras on the Last Metro.
Old 12-16-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I like the looks of the extras on the Last Metro.
Yes, multiple commentaries are a big plus.
Old 12-17-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll pick up Dodes'ka-den and The Last Metro, but I think that's all.
Old 12-17-08, 10:03 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone here know if Criterion has plans to release other Truffaut films? I'm thinking of Two English Girls, The Soft Skin, The Woman Next Door; really, anything that is out from Image.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.