Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question/Problem viewing DARK KNIGHT BLU-RAY....

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-15-08, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 52-inch Sony WEGA w/ a Sony BLU-RAY player and just popped in THE DARK KNIGHT for the first time. Like most WB movies, if you wait two or so minutes on the menu, the movie starts automatically. When I switched to watch it, the picture was filling the entire screen. So then I fiddled around w/ the TV viewing settings and it went to WIDESCREEN except there were certain scenes where the film filled up the whole screen again! (The Hospital Blowing Up, etc...) Anyone have any advice? Is anyone having this problem on their sets/players? Any advice is appreciated...

UPDATE: I just read the back of the BLU-RAY and it says: 1080p High Definition 16x9 Variable 2.4:1 and 1.78:1 (IMAX Sequences)

So is that basically saying, part of the movie is in WS and some parts are in IMAX Fullscreen??

--Dorfler

Last edited by Marvin Dorfler; 12-15-08 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-15-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
That's how the movie is supposed to play. When the image fills your screen, that represents the footage shot in the IMAX format. When it's not IMAX, it goes back to widescreen. This is the director's decision.
Old 12-15-08, 12:57 AM

Thank you Mr. Valeyard; I thought I was losing it!! It is a little weird to watch it like this though...

--Dorfler

PS--I received an eBay question regarding the BLU-RAY zone. Does anyone know what zone it is considered? What is the zone of this blu-ray ? europe? usa? everywhere?

Last edited by Marvin Dorfler; 12-15-08 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-15-08, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marvin Dorfler
I have a 52-inch Sony WEGA w/ a Sony BLU-RAY player and just popped in THE DARK KNIGHT for the first time. Like most WB movies, if you wait two or so minutes on the menu, the movie starts automatically. When I switched to watch it, the picture was filling the entire screen. So then I fiddled around w/ the TV viewing settings and it went to WIDESCREEN except there were certain scenes where the film filled up the whole screen again! (The Hospital Blowing Up, etc...) Anyone have any advice? Is anyone having this problem on their sets/players? Any advice is appreciated...

UPDATE: I just read the back of the BLU-RAY and it says: 1080p High Definition 16x9 Variable 2.4:1 and 1.78:1 (IMAX Sequences)

So is that basically saying, part of the movie is in WS and some parts are in IMAX Fullscreen??

--Dorfler
Three points here:

1) Since you're asking about the Blu-ray, this thread belongs in the HD Talk area, not the DVD area.

2) There are lengthy threads in both the DVD and HD areas that would have answered your question.

3) To answer your follow-up question, since we don't know where you live or where you bought your disc, we have no way of knowing what region your disc is likely to be. However, if you're in the U.S., "The Dark Knight" seems to be region-free.
Old 12-15-08, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You missed one helluva a thread in the HD area, Marvin!
Old 12-15-08, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Marvin Dorfler
PS--I received an eBay question regarding the BLU-RAY zone. Does anyone know what zone it is considered? What is the zone of this blu-ray ? europe? usa? everywhere?
Here's how Blu-ray zoning works as designed by the studios:

Pro-B