Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New DVD player on a SD set, does it matter?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-14-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a dvd player to use on my 36" SD set and I was wondering if it even matters which player to go with. I am looking to spend about $100 or so.

I am not looking to upgrade to HD anytime soon so upconverting doesn't really matter to me. I don't need region free since I tend to rent more than I buy these days but if the player has it I won't complain. I would just use the 360 but it is too loud. I don't even have a sound system setup in the room it is going in so picture quality is really my only requirement.

I tend to over research things which is why I am asking before I start wasting my time on something that won't matter in the long run.
Old 12-16-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVD players have varied greatly for video quality. I've been happy with Sony and Pioneer PQ on SDTVs. Although my Pioneer is dying a bit faster than I like.
Old 12-16-08, 12:17 AM

Almost all dvd players up-convert and no I don't think it will matter. I would go with a budget player,think I saw a clearance one at Target yesterday for $29 or $39. I don't remember to brand though.
Old 12-16-08, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Almost all dvd players up-convert and no I don't think it will matter. I would go with a budget player,think I saw a clearance one at Target yesterday for $29 or $39. I don't remember to brand though.
I disagree. Even if picture quality is equal (and I don't agree that it is), build quality and reliability aren't. You can easily have playback problems with budget players. You get what you pay for, and you can certainly get a good quality player for less than $100 without cheaping out.

I agree with Spiky: Sony and Pioneer are excellent, and I would add Panasonic to the list. Heck, you can even get Toshiba's new XD-E500 upconverting DVD player for $100, just in case you change your mind in a year or two about getting an HDTV.