Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Newbie....HD Audio Laptop to Receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a complete newbie...so forgive my ignorance....I have a high end laptop with a blu ray player. It also has HDMI. I also have a Pioneer Elite receiver that does alot of great things for DVDs like DTS 5.1, but not HD audio decoding (i.e. DTS-HD). I can hook my laptop into the receiver, pop in a blu ray disc, and it will play 1080p on my plasma, but only give me what appears to be stereo sound on the audio end. The laptop has windows vista on it. I have tried PowerDVD 8 ultra, and no dice. The most that I get is the THX opening in Dolby, then it kicks down to stereo. Is there any software that will do the decoding first, then allow my receiver to pick up some of the HD sound through the HDMI connection?

Thanks for any advice.

Forgive my stupidity!!!
Old 12-19-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I honestly have no idea. Your best bet might be to search the pc's manufacturers website and see if this question has come up. Sounds to me like the laptop is not capable of passing the digital stream.