DVD Talk
Today only! Get Smart Complete TV Box Set CDN82.99 / US$66.00 Amazon Canada [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Today only! Get Smart Complete TV Box Set CDN82.99 / US$66.00 Amazon Canada

tsetse27
12-11-08, 02:03 PM
Have been keeping eye on this set for awhile, finally see this deal at Amazon-Canada

I ordered this set, along with four blu-ray (Sin City, From Dust to Daw, and Kill Bill 1&2,) have to pay CDN17.95 for shipping. Total CDN$ 156.73 or US$125.00 shipped.

kenbenobi
12-11-08, 02:48 PM
It shows $69.92 US for me, plus 8.41 shipping, for a total of $78.33 US. Still tempting though...

lena
12-11-08, 03:42 PM
Have been keeping eye on this set for awhile, finally see this deal at Amazon-Canada

I ordered this set, along with four blu-ray (Sin City, From Dust to Daw, and Kill Bill 1&2,) have to pay CDN17.95 for shipping. Total CDN$ 156.73 or US$125.00 shipped.Thanks for this. Do you know if you "place your order in USD" - does it actually process the credit card in USD? If so, then there should not be any fees associated with currency conversion on the credit card - that would be nice.

saminsocks
12-11-08, 04:34 PM
This is so tempting! Get Smart is my favorite show of all time. I wonder if shipping is free to Canada. I need to visit some friends up there before a passport is required, anyway...

kenbenobi
12-11-08, 05:58 PM
Yes, shipping within Canada is free...

fwc
12-11-08, 08:31 PM
I was able to use the coupon MAPNEWNCSAVE to get CND $10 off of the order which essentially gave me free shipping to the US. At first the site would not take this coupon when I signed in with my amazon.com password and tried to use a mastercard, but when I opened a brand new account and paid with VISA the coupon worked (the coupon mentioned something about $10 off of $40 when VISA is used; other coupon sites say it is only valid for new members). The site even converted to US dollars, giving me the set shipped to the USA for $69.91 in US dollars total.

JiM T
12-11-08, 09:10 PM
Maybe once upon a time, I would've jumped through all those hoops in order to get this set (which I've wanted for a while now) for 69.91, but I think I'll just go get it at Costco for around $85 with their instant discount this week.

kenbenobi
12-11-08, 11:29 PM
I was able to use the coupon MAPNEWNCSAVE to get CND $10 off of the order which essentially gave me free shipping to the US. At first the site would not take this coupon when I signed in with my amazon.com password and tried to use a mastercard, but when I opened a brand new account and paid with VISA the coupon worked (the coupon mentioned something about $10 off of $40 when VISA is used; other coupon sites say it is only valid for new members). The site even converted to US dollars, giving me the set shipped to the USA for $69.91 in US dollars total.
Thanks, I had the same problem. I assumed it wouldn't work if shipping to the US. I'll try it again with a new account...

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered it. Might be a LONG time before this price is beat, and I really want to watch this. I was smart and kept my individual S1 sealed. I knew I'd cave and get the full set eventually...

Brian T
12-12-08, 12:31 AM
Amazon's Canadian site is one BIG reason I rented a U.S. postal box and started ordering stuff from Amazon's American site. I'm not particularly interested in this item, but to see such a deal on the Canadian site is truly a rarity, so congrats to anyone who took advantage. Now if only they'd do it more often . . . :(

Ginwen
12-12-08, 12:50 AM

Thanks I did the same.

Classic Films
12-12-08, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this deal and the coupon. Very strange that when I tried using the coupon with my existing account the error message said coupon is from one of our international sites and does not work at amazon.com. I was, of course, on Amazon.ca. Anyway as others did I set up a new account and the coupon worked and covered the cost of shipping to the US. The $10 off $40 CND was $8.42 US.

Trevor
12-12-08, 08:26 AM
Thanks, decided to go the Costco route as well.

drmoze
12-18-08, 01:07 PM
I ordered this last Friday, and it showed up at my door on Tuesday. Faster delivery than Amazon USA!!!

My Other Self
12-18-08, 03:58 PM
Yeah I noticed that. Amazon.ca shipping is miles over regular Amazon.

whotony
12-18-08, 05:56 PM
today only!

Florinaldo
12-19-08, 05:28 AM
Amazon's Canadian site is one BIG reason I rented a U.S. postal box and started ordering stuff from Amazon's American site. I'm not particularly interested in this item, but to see such a deal on the Canadian site is truly a rarity, so congrats to anyone who took advantage. Now if only they'd do it more often . . . :(

Actually, that's not quite true; Amazon.ca's prices can often be quite advantageous. You have to be alert and compare regularly. Just this week I bought a 7-CD boxset that's 100$ on the US site, but 62$ on the .ca site.

Also, when I bought the recent Budd Boetticher box set it was less expensive on the Canadian Amazon. Books are also surprisingly cheaper at times.

And I know someone who recently got a few Dark Shadows sets and they were less expensive on the .ca site.

The newer Criterions can also be somewhat less expensive, especially with the current exchange rate; it was not so true a few weeks ago when the Candian dollar was at par with its US counterpart (and was even higher for a short time). Older Criterions are however markedly more expensive on the .ca Amazon.

So there is no general rule. Nor is there any rhyme or reason for the price differences or the frequent fluctuations.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0