Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Meshuggah on US tour with Cynic in early 2009

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-11-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know how many of you are fans, but the mighty Meshuggah is returning to the US for a short headlining tour. Main support: Cynic, who recently released only their second album after better than a decade.

Thankfully, they're coming to Minneapolis. Unfortunately, they're playing at the hated Station 4. Still, to see both Meshuggah and Cynic at one show? You know I'll be there.

I didn't see confirmation on meshuggah.net, but they don't update their site very often. Ticket_____ has several of the shows listed.
Old 12-11-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I haven't heard Cynic since 92 or so...and all I remeber is uroboric forms
Old 12-11-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wow, that's a drummer's wet dream show. Haake and Reinhert? sign me up
Old 12-11-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a great technical death metal band called 'the Faceless' is the opening band. and the tour is gonna be at the Recher
Old 12-11-08, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds like an excellent show. I'm not real familiar with Meshuggah's material, though I did see them open for Slayer and they were quite good live. I LOVE cynic and regret not seeing them on tour for their first album. I am really digging the new CD. It takes a few listens, but it is so complex and mutli-layered that you pick up something new each listen. I am so impressed that after all this time they came back and made an album strictly on their terms for honest, artistic reasons. The music alone tells you that they aren't trying to cash in on any trends, but keep their highly original and creative vision alive and well, over 15 years later. You don't often see that kind of integrity when a band decides to reform, but staying true to their original vision has paid off in spades IMO.

I hope they come to C-Bus!
Old 12-12-08, 08:55 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Awesome! I love Cynic and I have seen Meshuggah twice and both times they were fucking amazing.
Old 12-12-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still sort of amazed that Meshuggah can reproduce their studio creations live.
Old 12-12-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're playing in Anaheim which is very close to me. I think I'll have to check this out.
Old 12-22-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
wow, that's a drummer's wet dream show. Haake and Reinhert? sign me up
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UFd3u-qLb_s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UFd3u-qLb_s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Death - Together as One 1991

Reinhert is so aggressive and yet he maintains such an incredible groove.  
Old 12-23-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there's also an early rumor that Meshuggah and the Faceless will be on the Extreme Metal stage at next years Mayhem fest (with Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth and Amon Amarth also rumored), with Slayer, Manson, Lamb of God and Trivium also rumored for the main stage