Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital copies

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Digital copies

Old 12-10-08, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital copies

Wanted to find out if I put a digital copy dvd on my computer and reformat my computer and it is erased can I put it back on? Also what if I get a new computer can it be put on that or is it a one time deal.
Old 12-10-08, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about the same thing today. If I change computers, do I lose all the digital copies in my iTunes?
Old 12-10-08, 09:24 AM

I don't know about the other formats, but the itunes digital copies are tied to your itunes login (which can be used on (I believe) 5 computers). This means you can copy it to your PC, your laptop or any other computers you may have.

NOTE however, that once you use the code to redeem a movie, it can no longer be redeemed (even under the same account). So if you put it on 1 PC, then it dies, you can't load the disc onto another PC.

You need to back up the file (to a USB drive, CD-Rom, DVD-Rom, Hard Drive, etc..) and copy that to the new PC
Old 12-11-08, 02:37 AM

The Dark Knight digital copy is the first one that I actually care about because its the IMAX version of the movie. I just have some questions about digital copies.

First, the digital copy sheet states that it expires 12/9/09. Does that mean I have until then to download it or does that mean the movie will only play until then?

Second, can you use any code with any dvd? I bought several versions and I think I mixed up the codes in the different sets.

Also, can you use a particular code more than once? If not, how can you put that one copy on different computers?

Finally, how much space does this copy take up on your computer? And how is the picture quality on these digital copies?
Old 12-11-08, 04:59 AM

First, the digital copy sheet states that it expires 12/9/09. Does that mean I have until then to download it or does that mean the movie will only play until then?
You need to "download" it by then. The download is actually contained on the disc - after entering the code it "unlocks" and copies the file to your hard drive. My guess is that the download codes expire on 12/9/09 (1 year from release) - I've seen some that expire within 2-3 months, so the timeframe isnt so bad on this one. My guess is that it may work even after that time, but its a way for the studio to cover themselves if they need to take down the authentication server at some point (at least they wouldve given warning that it had an expiration date).

Second, can you use any code with any dvd? I bought several versions and I think I mixed up the codes in the different sets.
I would assume the any code works for any digital copy (assuming its the same movie). I don't think the code is tied to the DVD, rather its tied to authenticate whether or not its been used, then transfer the file.

Also, can you use a particular code more than once? If not, how can you put that one copy on different computers?
Codes can only be used once (and if its a disc with multiple file options (itunes, windows media, PSP), only one can be used). To copy to different computers you first "unlock" it on one, which puts the file onto your PC. Then transfer that to another PC just like you would with any other file (network, external hard drive, USB drive, burnable media)

Finally, how much space does this copy take up on your computer? And how is the picture quality on these digital copies?
Usually 1-2GB for the itunes file, not sure about others.
Resolution is usually 720x480 I believe (would vary with aspect ratio).. Quality is very good. Works great on portable devices, but can also be used for watching it on a PC. You can get an idea for the quality here: (itunes link) http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...67624&s=143441
Click "View Trailer"
Old 12-11-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 861 Likes on 387 Posts
In iTunes, you can right click the movie and choose show in Windows Explorer. I think Dark Knight was around 1.7GB. You can back that up from there. And, if need be, you can move it to another machine that has been authorized to use your iTunes account. (at least that's my understanding).
Old 12-11-08, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts
I just wanted to put TDK on my PSP but no such option, and PSP9 wouldnt convert it.
Old 12-11-08, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
I just wanted to put TDK on my PSP but no such option, and PSP9 wouldnt convert it.
I don't think the PSP can play any protected files - the Digital Copies have DRM so non-itunes versions need a PlaysForSure compatible device. Since they all have DRM, I dont think any program will convert it either.
Old 12-11-08, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
You need to "download" it by then. The download is actually contained on the disc - after entering the code it "unlocks" and copies the file to your hard drive. My guess is that the download codes expire on 12/9/09 (1 year from release) - I've seen some that expire within 2-3 months, so the timeframe isnt so bad on this one. My guess is that it may work even after that time, but its a way for the studio to cover themselves if they need to take down the authentication server at some point (at least they wouldve given warning that it had an expiration date).

I would assume the any code works for any digital copy (assuming its the same movie). I don't think the code is tied to the DVD, rather its tied to authenticate whether or not its been used, then transfer the file.

Codes can only be used once (and if its a disc with multiple file options (itunes, windows media, PSP), only one can be used). To copy to different computers you first "unlock" it on one, which puts the file onto your PC. Then transfer that to another PC just like you would with any other file (network, external hard drive, USB drive, burnable media)

Usually 1-2GB for the itunes file, not sure about others.
Resolution is usually 720x480 I believe (would vary with aspect ratio).. Quality is very good. Works great on portable devices, but can also be used for watching it on a PC. You can get an idea for the quality here: (itunes link) http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...67624&s=143441
Click "View Trailer"
Thanks, you pretty much answered all my questions.
Old 12-14-08, 11:03 AM

I was able to download the movie to my PC through iTunes (although I had to set up an account). I can't download it to Windows Media Player because I don't have the latest version.

I'm just curious, is there a way to transfer the file from iTunes to a flash drive and then copy it to my laptop? Also, will this file then play on Windows Media Player?
Old 12-14-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RD1973
I'm just curious, is there a way to transfer the file from iTunes to a flash drive and then copy it to my laptop? Also, will this file then play on Windows Media Player?
There are two versions of the movie on the disk. One is the iTunes version, the other is Windows Media Player. As was written above, only one can be used, so if you went with the iTunes version, then no.
Old 12-14-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts
After lambasting these digital copies,I may have found a use for them -- for my kids for Xmas I just picked up the 2GB mp3/video player that Office Depot had on sale.

Once I put these digital copies on my computer, I should be able to transfer them to the players, correct? (Obviously they will only be able to hold one movie at a time -- but will I be able to move the file off my computer as often as desired?)

PS -- a digital copy still should not be considered a "bonus disc." I feel better now.
Old 12-14-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
After lambasting these digital copies,I may have found a use for them -- for my kids for Xmas I just picked up the 2GB mp3/video player that Office Depot had on sale.

Once I put these digital copies on my computer, I should be able to transfer them to the players, correct? (Obviously they will only be able to hold one movie at a time -- but will I be able to move the file off my computer as often as desired?)
This isn't a situation where being vague is going to get you any real answers. I have no idea which video player Office Depot had on sale. Does it have a "Windows Plays for Sure" logo on the box? Does it say which formats are compatible with it?

And which version of the digital copies did you download to your computer? If you went with the iTunes version, then no, it probably won't play the files. If you went with the Windows version, then maybe.

As far as transferring them to players, the DRM will probably only allow the file to be used on one device at a time, so you probably won't be able to load any one movie onto multiple devices at the same time.
Old 12-15-08, 12:42 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried playing my digital copy on another computer and it gave me a message that it could only be played on the original computer I downloaded it to
Old 12-15-08, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, welcome to the wonderful world of DRM.
Old 12-15-08, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
If I delete the iTunes version off my HD will I be able to re-unlock it from the disc again (before the 2009 expiry date of course)?
Old 12-15-08, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
There are two versions of the movie on the disk. One is the iTunes version, the other is Windows Media Player. As was written above, only one can be used, so if you went with the iTunes version, then no.
I've been concerned with backing up the copy on my computer. But I just realized that my iTunes copy is actually saved at the iTunes website, right?

So, even if my computer crashes and I get a new one, I should be able to access it on the new computer (as long as I download the iTunes software again), right?
Old 12-15-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been concerned with backing up the copy on my computer. But I just realized that my iTunes copy is actually saved at the iTunes website, right?
No, of course not. It's on your computer. But the license to play the copy is tied to your iTunes account.

You should be able to back it up to another hard drive, or maybe even a DVD. But it will only ever play on the computer that is authorized to play content connected to your iTunes account.
Old 12-15-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
If I delete the iTunes version off my HD will I be able to re-unlock it from the disc again (before the 2009 expiry date of course)?
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I think the codes only work once.
Old 12-15-08, 08:35 PM

No, of course not. It's on your computer. But the license to play the copy is tied to your iTunes account.

You should be able to back it up to another hard drive, or maybe even a DVD. But it will only ever play on the computer that is authorized to play content connected to your iTunes account.
Screw this. What a pain in the ass.
Old 12-15-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts
This isn't a situation where being vague is going to get you any real answers. I have no idea which video player Office Depot had on sale. Does it have a "Windows Plays for Sure" logo on the box? Does it say which formats are compatible with it?

And which version of the digital copies did you download to your computer? If you went with the iTunes version, then no, it probably won't play the files. If you went with the Windows version, then maybe.

As far as transferring them to players, the DRM will probably only allow the file to be used on one device at a time, so you probably won't be able to load any one movie onto multiple devices at the same time.
Sorry -- I didn't realize I was being vague. I'm a pessimist when it comes to these digital copies and at this point I have to agree with RD1973 -- screw this, what a pain in the ass.

I thought that one of the points was that you could view these on your portable media devices. If you can only watch it on the computer that you download it to, then you cannot watch it on your portable media devices.

I realize I need to get the specifics on the players I bought, but something that is supposed to be "so convenient" sure as hell is not. I haven't downloaded anything yet, and still don't know if I will or simply offer the digital copies to somebody else.

EDIT -- If anyone can help offer some advice: the players are Trekstor i.Beat and say that they are WMA-DRM9 compatible. If this works, great, if not, it's not a dealbreaker. For $15 I'm not expecting the world.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 12-15-08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, DRM often makes these digital copies more of a pain than they are worth. It certainly makes using them more confusing than it should be. I don't really have much need for transferring movies to portable devices, but if I did I'd be more inclined to make my own. I've done that with several concert DVDs for use on my iPod and the results were excellent.
Old 12-19-08, 03:04 PM

I always used to throw these out along with the instruction sheet. The first one I actually downloaded was The Dark Knight (only because its the IMAX version).

But now I'm wondering if any other digital copies are "alternate cuts." Is anyone aware of anything like that? Also, which has the better picture quality usually, the DVD or the digital copy?
Old 12-19-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first one I actually downloaded was The Dark Knight (only because its the IMAX version).

But now I'm wondering if any other digital copies are "alternate cuts."
The digital copy of "The Dark Knight" is the same as the DVD and Blu-ray versions. The aspect ratio alternates between 1.78:1 for the IMAX footage and 2.4:1 for the 35mm footage.

Also, which has the better picture quality usually, the DVD or the digital copy?
What do you think? The ~8.5 gigabyte DVD that was designed to be seen on a big TV, or the 1.7 gigabyte compressed digital copy that was designed to be sen on a 3-inch screen?
Old 12-20-08, 02:35 AM

The digital copy of "The Dark Knight" is the same as the DVD and Blu-ray versions. The aspect ratio alternates between 1.78:1 for the IMAX footage and 2.4:1 for the 35mm footage.

What do you think? The ~8.5 gigabyte DVD that was designed to be seen on a big TV, or the 1.7 gigabyte compressed digital copy that was designed to be sen on a 3-inch screen?
The DVD does not alternate between ratios. Therefore, the digital copy is an "alternate version."

Also, I figured the DVD would have the better presentation. But I just wanted to be sure before I give up on digital copies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.