Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

duplicate orders under CH order history???

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a couple of my recent CH orders, I've seen duplicate orders being created under my order history. Immediately after I submitted the orders, I had checked my order history and didn't see the duplicates. A few days later when I re-checked my order history, I saw the duplicates.

For one order, I had used a B1G1 + free shipping code and purchased a deal of the day DVD with a $19.95 title to get the $19.95 title for free. A few days later, I saw that 2 duplicate orders had been created (with the duplicate orders saying that the DVDs were backordered). The real order showed the status of the DVDs as "Processed". Just today, I saw that the DVDs in one of the duplicate orders changed status to "Processed". So now, I have a total of 3 orders with two of them with the titles as "Processed" and the other with the titles as "Back Ordered".

For the second order, I had used a B1G1 + free shipping code to purchase two $5.95 titles from their Stocking Stuffers selections. Today, I saw that a duplicate order was created with the same titles and the status was "Processed". So now, I have a total of 2 orders with both of them having the titles as "Processed".

There haven't been any charges on my CC yet for any of this, but I'm still concerned. Anyone know what's going on here and if they're really going to charge for and ship duplicate orders? Or is this just a display problem with the CH order history?
Old 12-08-08, 08:58 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
As long as the duplicate orders don't have different price, it isnt a problem. Their sytem has a quirk which shows duplicate order which arent really there. If they did it with new prices, its a real problem some have had.
Old 12-08-08, 09:51 PM

i just came here to research same problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if i wind up getting a bunch of free movies. Wouldn't be the first time from CH.
Old 12-08-08, 10:21 PM

On my TV account, my duplicate orders have always shown the same price, and I get what I ordered for the price I ordered them at. But I have never been sent duplicate DVDs. On my regular account, every time I place a B1G1 order, the system always changes the price on me on the duplicate order. Sometimes it charges me for the clearance or stocking stuffer title at full price; sometimes it also charges me shipping even though Free Shipping was indicated when I placed the order. And when the B1G2 glitch was working, I ended up with a B2G1 (and I haven't had any luck convincing Customer Service that I am entitled to 2 free). After I cash in my funcash, I will be closing this account and starting over.

Last edited by Bobaray; 12-08-08 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Once in a while I receive the duplicate orders, but usually they just sit there indefinitely and don't move.
Old 12-09-08, 01:28 PM

I had a duped order show up, and partially shipped. My email to CH was answered saying that they knew that they had a glitch and the order would not be duplicated.

I'll be checking my credit card activity for sure ...
Old 12-09-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I placed 15 orders and all but one ore two had a duplicate order. I'll be pissed if I have 12-13 duplicate orders show up and tie up funds on my credit card. I called and the CSR told me that she only sees one of each order. I hope she's right.
Old 12-09-08, 07:21 PM

I also have duplicates of my last three orders in my order history. The payment method on my actual orders says "Visa", which is how I paid. The duplicates say "Bill Me" as payment method. Weird.

Also, CH temporarily charged my Visa, then removed the charges. Not sure what is going on. I'd call customer service, but my Hindu is a little rusty.
Old 12-09-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by vcuram
i also have duplicates of my last three orders in my order history. The payment method on my actual orders says "visa", which is how i paid. The duplicates say "bill me" as payment method. Weird.

Also, ch temporarily charged my visa, then removed the charges. Not sure what is going on. i'd call customer service, but my hindu is a little rusty.
lmao!
Old 12-09-08, 08:24 PM
Cool New Member

Hindu is the religion. Hindi is the language.
Old 12-09-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SamIAm333
Hindu is the religion. Hindi is the language.
It was still funny even if it was incorrect.
Old 12-10-08, 08:11 AM

I called yesterday about a problem having done a B1G1 bluray a while back one of which was Hancock. It shipped 11/25/2008 yet I've not received it. He said he'd send me another. I logon to my Mastercard account last night and it shows a pending amount for the exact order I placed before. I logon this morning and there's ANOTHER charge for the SAME amount. After they send me everything they owe me I'm out. Their online system is a piece of shit. Oh, and the person I spoke with was in Argentina.
Old 12-10-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Thanks for the info, everyone.
Old 12-10-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
All my orders were duped (with different numbers, but I suppose that was assumed already), but I selected Bill Me Later as an option. So they should probably ship and I can get any needed mess sorted out without having any charges on my card.
Old 12-10-08, 11:58 AM

I've had my orders duplicated in the online system many times, but somehow, I've never had a problem with CH.
Old 12-10-08, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by vcuram
I also have duplicates of my last three orders in my order history. The payment method on my actual orders says "Visa", which is how I paid. The duplicates say "Bill Me" as payment method. Weird.
Same here, until this morning mine all say Mastercard now.

My last order used my all FC, now that order is duped and the FC is listed as available.
Old 12-10-08, 12:32 PM

My last order is duped and used FC.

When I looked at my cart, the Journey to the Center of the Earth Blu-Ray I had left in there said "Free with Funcash". I only had $4 FC left on the account.

I went through the checkout and it now shows as completely free (including free shipping) on my order history.

Strange indeed. We'll see if I get a free Blu-Ray!
Old 12-19-08, 12:25 PM

I placed a B1G1 order of 10 DVDs on Dec. 8th, the total of the order was $130.80. On Dec. 12th my order was split into 2 different orders, the total of one of the orders is $104.84 and the total of the other order is $85.81.

I know that I am not a math whiz but I am almost certain that if you add $104.84 and $85.81 together you will not get $130.80.

My credit card has been charged the $104.84 and the $85.81. I am hoping Columbia House gets it straightened out or they will be receiving a return with 10 DVDs in it.
Old 12-19-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eeyore61172
I am hoping Columbia House gets it straightened out or they will be receiving a return with 10 DVDs in it.
Do you think this is going to happen magically, all by itself? As far as CH is concerned, it IS "straightened out." The only way you're going to get this resolved in your favor, if that's even possible, is to call them and have someone fix it. Otherwise, like you said, you'll just be returning things to them and you won't have your DVDs.

This occasional irritation is the price we pay for the bottom dollar prices that are CH.
Old 12-19-08, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato
Do you think this is going to happen magically, all by itself? As far as CH is concerned, it IS "straightened out." The only way you're going to get this resolved in your favor, if that's even possible, is to call them and have someone fix it. Otherwise, like you said, you'll just be returning things to them and you won't have your DVDs.
I know that it isn't magically going to straighten itself out. I have contacted them about it and am waiting to see what they say. I will not call them as I am sure I cannot speak whatever language they would be speaking that day.

Originally Posted by Cheato
This occasional irritation is the price we pay for the bottom dollar prices that are CH.
"irritation"? I don't know much about business but I am sure that it is very illegal to change the price of an item after it has been ordered. I consider illegal activity to be much more than an irritation. If it is legal than I think I need to start selling some stuff.
Old 12-19-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as I know, they speak English and Spanish. You can choose the option when you call. I have never had trouble speaking to anyone using English on the phone, and I have never had something not resolved to my satisfaction (except one time that took a second phone call a couple days later, since the order was "currently in processing at the warehouse" and they couldn't change anything in the computer at that time).

Illegal? Yes. But it's difficult to prove intention. When it comes to CH, I would rather punish intention than punish incompetence. CH's incompetence keeps us coming back.

I chalk these occurences up to incompetence, and as I have said before, it's this same incompetence that also leads to codes becoming active when they shouldn't, codes stacking when they shouldn't, website glitches that allow people to get high-priced items for much less than they otherwise would or should, misprices, and lots of other mistakes that actually are in our favor. The reason we keep dealing with CH is precisely because they ARE incompetent, to a certain extent. If they got their act together, we wouldn't be getting DVDs for less than $5 each. You can't have you cake and eat it, too. If you're an informed shopper, you can't claim the ignorance of "widows and orphans."

So, yes, "irritation."

Last edited by Cheato; 12-19-08 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-20-08, 06:44 PM

I ordered 2 sets of B1G1 Blu-rays ... Suddenly I have a temp charge for DOUBLE the amount. So I call CH and they say it's a fluke and it's the credit card company's fault. So I say OK. Now I see the charge has gone through and that there is another order on my account WITHOUT the B1G1. The original order is still ther though. WTF. I finally joined the TV Club after almost 8 months b/c they did this on the B4G1. Now they are doing it again.

I know they are incompetent, but they are also downright crooks. No system could be that screwd up!

Another F'ing hassle with CH.
Old 12-20-08, 11:38 PM

I think their just screwy. I had some fun with one of my stocking stuffer orders:

1. Got an order confirmation, cc temp charged.
2. Got email, order shipped.
3. CC charged.
4. Paid item listed as returned on my history page.
5. Paid item listed as back ordered on history page.
6. CC refunded for paid item.
7. CC temp charged again.
8. Received free item.
9. Waiting on paid item.

Then again 3 other stuffer orders arrived promptly, with one other mia. I'll put that down to the post office. I've also received a FC order since the above started.

I will say though, things always seem to work out without much fuss. Knocking wood with crossed fingers.