Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Very strange!!!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Very strange!!!

Old 12-08-08, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very strange!!!

I have never had this happen before so I'm entering this to see if anyone ever came accross a problem like this and if there's a solution.

I recently purchased the dvd "Willard" which comes one side widescreen the other side fullscreen. i have three dvd players. on my main dvd player, that I watch most of my movies on, it will only play the fullscreen side. on the widescreen side it gives me a message that reads "this type of disc cannot be played. please insert a different disc"
the kicker is my other two machines play both sides with no problem. also my main player is great about playing through flaws that my other two machines generally screw up on.

any ideas???

thanks, Tom
Old 12-08-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you tell us the brand and model of the player that won't play the disc, maybe someone can tell you if this is a typical problem for that player.
Old 12-08-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Weird, yeah. Clean it (or boil it. seriously, look it up) and try again a couple times. If that doesn't work, try to exchange it for a replacement. Don't say you have multiple players, it should work on your main machine.
How many discs do you have/have played in that machine? It could be getting old and finicky, might need to be cleaned, or it could be slowly dying like my last player. How about the firmware, have you looked into if there's an update and if it's recommended?

Last edited by basaro; 12-08-08 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-09-08, 10:27 AM

Other info....the player in question is a stand alone panasonic s29 dvd player. true, it is an older unit but i have found panasonic units, in general, to play through a lot of flaws that other machines do not. my other two machines that this disc played fine on are an older stand alone radio shack dvd/vhs player and a newer stand alone panasonic dvd recorder/player.
my dvd collection is 2,500+ brand new store bought dvd's.
yesterday, after i posted my question on this board, i put the disc in my laptop and found there was a lot of junk on the front end. one in particular was a interactual player that had to be loaded. usually they ask if you want to use the player or not it would not give me the option of playing it with windows movie player...so this could be the problem. also when i played it through thier player it would only play the opening promo it would then go back to ...play movie.
Old 12-09-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by basaro
Clean it (or boil it. seriously, look it up)
Yep!

Old 12-09-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FILM-FLAM
one in particular was a interactual player that had to be loaded. usually they ask if you want to use the player or not it would not give me the option of playing it with windows movie player.
You do NOT have to use the Interactual player. Uninstall it. When you put the disc in your laptop and it asks you to install the software, don't. Then start Windows Media Player and point it to your laptop's disc drive. Media Player will take it from there. (If it doesn't, install the free VLC media player, which you can find with a Google search.)

That said, I've never heard of Interactual causing problems with standalone players

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 12-09-08 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-11-08, 01:41 AM

This is unlikely if you have 2,500 DVDs, but there's a slight possibility that the DVD-ROM content on the disc is making the player think it's a DVD-ROM disc. More likely is that it might have actually been authored as a DVD-ROM rather than DVD-Video, but only that one player is picky enough to refuse to play it. Another thing you may want to check is whether it contains both a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder and/or that the AUDIO_TS folder is empty. A missing or non-empty AUDIO_TS folder may confuse some players.