Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"Lights, please": A Charlie Brown Christmas (12/08/08 & 12/16/08)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

A Charlie Brown Christmas
Mon Dec 8th and Tue Dec 16th 8/7c

The ABC Television Network will celebrate the joy of the holidays with the classic animated Christmas-themed PEANUTS special, A Charlie Brown Christmas, created by late cartoonist Charles M. Schulz. The hour will also include a series of Christmas-themed animated stories entitled Charlie Brown Christmas Tales, based on Schulz's work, in which each of the beloved PEANUTS characters - Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus, Lucy and Sally - star in his or her own charming animated vignette.

PEANUTS focuses on the anxieties and joys of childhood as expressed by an ensemble cast of children who often seem wise beyond their years. Among them are the lovable Charlie Brown, who perseveres despite continuous failure; the philosophical, blanket-carrying Linus; the fussbudget Lucy, who dispenses psychological advice for a nickel from behind a concession stand; and toy-piano virtuoso Schroeder. Central to the comic strip is Charlie Brown's dog, Snoopy, who first stood on his hind legs in 1956 and became extremely popular for his imaginative adventures as a number of characters.

In the digitally-remastered 1965 special, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Charlie Brown complains about the overwhelming materialism that he sees everywhere during the Christmas season. Lucy suggests that he become director of the school Christmas pageant, and Charlie Brown accepts, but it proves to be a frustrating struggle. When an attempt to restore the proper spirit with a forlorn little fir Christmas tree fails, Charlie Brown needs Linus' help to learn what the real meaning of Christmas is.

The cast of A Charlie Brown Christmas includes Peter Robbins (Charlie Brown), Christopher Shea as (Linus), Tracy Stratford (Lucy), Chris Doran (Schroeder) and Sally Dryer (Violet).

A Charlie Brown Christmas was executive-produced by Lee Mendelson and created and written by Charles M. Schulz. Bill Melendez is the producer and director, and Vince Guaraldi is the music composer.

http://abc.go.com/specials/charliebrownxmas/index
Time for the best Christmas special of all!

I posted this pic in the thread over at DVD Talk, but here's how I decorated my work cube this year:

Old 12-08-08, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
One of my favorites.....listening to the soundtrack right now at work.
Old 12-08-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
I've killed it. Oh! Everything I touch gets ruined. I guess you were right, Linus. I shouldn't have picked this little tree. Everything I do turns into a disaster. I guess I really don't know what Christmas is all about.
Old 12-08-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw one of those Charlie Brown X-mas trees in Walgreens, and I had to laugh at the irony. The whole message of the story is against the commercialization of X-mas, and some marketing genius decided mass market the very symbol of a minimalist X-mas.
Old 12-08-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
One of my all time favorite Christmas shows.
Old 12-08-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LLPhhu7e0bE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LLPhhu7e0bE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thanks to the poster from the "It's the great pumpkin Charlie Brown" thread. This should be required before every showing...
Old 12-08-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grip
Thanks to the poster from the "It's the great pumpkin Charlie Brown" thread. This should be required before every showing...
Anyone else have a hankerin' for some Dolly Madison cakes.....?
Old 12-09-08, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Coca-Cola ending...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Th1GdWQiYPM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Th1GdWQiYPM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 12-09-08, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Palaver
I saw one of those Charlie Brown X-mas trees in Walgreens, and I had to laugh at the irony. The whole message of the story is against the commercialization of X-mas, and some marketing genius decided mass market the very symbol of a minimalist X-mas.
Is OP's pic one of those trees at Walgreens? It does look like the one in the special.
Old 12-09-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Still dig that groovy group dancing.
Old 12-10-08, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Cool cube, DJLinus
Old 12-10-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Is OP's pic one of those trees at Walgreens? It does look like the one in the special.
I got mine at Urban Outfitters last year (had to put up with a lot of hipsters to get it): http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...SULTS&color=00

Originally Posted by davidh777
Cool cube, DJLinus
Thanks. All of my co-workers immediately around me are going for an overload of tacky decorations (there's a contest), so my cube's like a calm oasis.
Old 12-10-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I got mine at Urban Outfitters last year (had to put up with a lot of hipsters to get it): http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...SULTS&color=00

"It really isn't such a bad looking tree." I like it. Thanks for the link. I might have to get one.
Old 12-10-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're welcome. We've been talking about this tree (and other Peanuts stuff) in a thread over in DVD Talk and Michael Corvin found a 10% off code - 27WELCOME - that should save you a few pennies if you order it online.

I went to my local UO last night to pick up a Charlie Brown mug to give to a fellow Peanuts geek friend for Christmas and they had plenty of these trees in stock. I believe all of their Christmas stuff is on sale right now (at least in my store).
Old 12-10-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the best programs to ever grace the small screen. Such a classic.
Old 12-10-08, 08:06 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those of you with a "regular" tree. He recites the true meaning of Christmas - complete with spotlight:

http://www.amazon.com/ABOUT-HALLMARK...8960972&sr=8-9
Old 12-16-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bump for those that missed the first airing (or just want to see it again).

Originally Posted by aktick
For those of you with a "regular" tree. He recites the true meaning of Christmas - complete with spotlight:
My aforementioned fellow Peanuts freak friend got me that ornament last year. This year he got me this one (as well as A Christmas Story and Muppet ones):

http://www.amazon.com/Hallmark-Keeps...456343&sr=8-17

Press the button and it plays the teacher's trombone "voice."
Old 12-17-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I watched this last night for the first time in years...and I got to say there is a lot (LOT) more I caught now as an adult that went over my head when I was a teenager or child.

In fact, it makes me appreciate Schulz work even more. The man is an absolute genius. There is great adult humor and slap-stickery in this...it can be enjoyed on all levels. You also have to appreciate the fact that so many pieces of this short have made it into the pop culture vernacular and lexicon...can any of us remember a time when we weren't calling a small tree "a Charlie Brown tree" or dancing with our necks down to a jazzy piano piece? Amazing when you think about it.

And as an animation fan, it is amazing what Bill Meléndez was able to do back then, consider where animation was at the time. Sadly though, he did leave us this year and can never be replaced. Bill Meléndez was someone I admired and certainly inspires me.

Lastly, this special gave us the incredible work of Vince Guaraldi, a man who I consider ahead of his time. The score he did for this is fantastic and it is probably my favorite form of "holiday" music (I use the term loosely). Sadly, Vince Guaraldi left us way too soon (before I was born incidentally) and one has to wonder what other contributions he could have made.

All and all a timeless classic no matter which way you look at it.
Old 12-17-08, 11:02 AM
Cool New Member

Along with the incomparable Emmet Otter, this is one of my favorites. I recently watched the featurette that accompanies the "remastered" dvd and I thought it was hilarious how Bill Melendez viewed the specials -- he couldn't believe they were so popular, he had cut so many corners during the production.
Old 12-17-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by macnorton
And as an animation fan, it is amazing what Bill Meléndez was able to do back then, consider where animation was at the time. Sadly though, he did leave us this year and can never be replaced. Bill Meléndez was someone I admired and certainly inspires me.
I'm a huge Peanuts nut, and Bill Meléndez did some amazing work, especially getting the characters to look like the strip and kept the minimalist backgrounds but I think you are overstating 'animation at the time' aspect.

By the time A Charlie Brown Christmas aired we had 30 years of Looney Tunes shorts, not to mention Disney classics from Snow White, Pinocchio & Fantasia all the way up to Lady & the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty & One Hundred & One Dalmatians.

I'm no historian, but we had far better animation techniques & styles by the time the Peanuts hit the small screen. Meléndez was just a master of perfecting the look and feel of the strip which many thought couldn't be done. From the character's emotions to the minimalist backgrounds like I said above. I wouldn't consider the animation amazing "for the time" but it is true to the source, which is what it needed to be. In fact I'd say Vince Guaraldi was just as integral to making these specials classics. The 'feel' just wouldn't be the same without his score underlying the whole thing.
Old 12-17-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
"All I want is what I... I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share."

My appreciation for the Peanut cartoons has only grown over the years.
Old 12-17-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm a huge Peanuts nut, and Bill Meléndez did some amazing work, especially getting the characters to look like the strip and kept the minimalist backgrounds but I think you are overstating 'animation at the time' aspect.

By the time A Charlie Brown Christmas aired we had 30 years of Looney Tunes shorts, not to mention Disney classics from Snow White, Pinocchio & Fantasia all the way up to Lady & the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty & One Hundred & One Dalmatians.

I'm no historian, but we had far better animation techniques & styles by the time the Peanuts hit the small screen. Meléndez was just a master of perfecting the look and feel of the strip which many thought couldn't be done. From the character's emotions to the minimalist backgrounds like I said above. I wouldn't consider the animation amazing "for the time" but it is true to the source, which is what it needed to be. In fact I'd say Vince Guaraldi was just as integral to making these specials classics. The 'feel' just wouldn't be the same without his score underlying the whole thing.
Reading my post back, you are right on the money. I should have clarified that I was talking about...er go what you are mentioning.

There are far better animation pieces out there (actually the ones listed is a very good list), I suppose since this was a TV special with no where near the budget a films get, the results are pretty good...all things considered. The true to the source comment sums it up perfectly. I suppose I am more impressed with what was done rather than what COULD have been done. Also one has to keep in mind that Disney was using classic tales to tell stories (I personally believe more for kids than adults), Looney Tunes were clearly for adults, Peanuts falls right in the middle, a perfect balance of both. A visual mixed nuts if you will.

I feel Vince Guaraldi is the forgotten animator to the Peanuts shorts...as you put it the "feel" would be totally different if he hadn't been involved. And it is more than just the classic "Linus & Lucy" piece...there are so many great pieces in there.

Lastly, I wanted to make mention again of the impact on pop culture. The Simpsons have spoofed it twice (with many other Peanuts references scattered about), Arrested Development had a blink and you will miss it moment in there...Family Guy has had a few...it is a staple.
Old 12-17-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by macnorton
Lastly, I wanted to make mention again of the impact on pop culture. The Simpsons have spoofed it twice (with many other Peanuts references scattered about), Arrested Development had a blink and you will miss it moment in there...Family Guy has had a few...it is a staple.
A nice (if surely incomplete) list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Charl...opular_culture

I can't believe I only found this video last night, which has apparently been around for a few years. Hilarious if you're a "Scrubs" fan (and maybe even if you're not ).

Good to see that Chuck and the gang can still generate numbers: Ratings: CBS comedies win the night; Charlie Brown still delivers (Dec. 8 airing)
Old 12-17-08, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by grip
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LLPhhu7e0bE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LLPhhu7e0bE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Too bad it's on ABC now