Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

CodeFreeDVD.com intentionally sent me the wrong DVD player. Any advice?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm new to this site, I don't know if any of you have ordered region-free DVD players from CodeFreeDVD.com, but I'm having a horrendous experience dealing with them.

I ordered a Code Free 1900 DVD player on 11/14 and paid $149 not including shipping. They claimed it would ship within 24 hours. It didn't ship until two weeks later on 11/28, and only after I emailed them a bunch of times. On their site they say they "check their email hourly with same-day response".....most of my emails were completely ignored by them and the one email they responded to was NINE DAYS after I first emailed them.

On 11/29 I received their shipment. It was the wrong DVD player, completely different than what I ordered. It was NOT EVEN THE SAME BRAND. They had sent me an I-View 1000DV when I ordered a Code Free 1900. The "I-View 1900" generally sells on other websites for about $40-50. I had paid $149 for the Code Free 1900. Never was there any email asking me for permission to change my order. They still charged me the original $149, even though the player they sent me is only worth $40. I tried calling all 3 of their telephone numbers and I always either get "wrong number" or nobody answers the ring tone. Their phone system is set up so that you will hear their ring tone for infinity, and never actually talk to anybody, and since you hear the ring tone for infinity, you can't leave a voicemail either.

I emailed them on 12/3 saying I want an exchange for the actual model I paid for, and of course there has been no reply. I have since emailed them 3 more times and of course no reply.

What should I do? Any advice?

Also, has anybody ordered from them before, and if so, is there any way I could contact them by phone and actually speak to a live person?

Thanks for your help,

Leo
Old 12-06-08, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leo17
Hi,

I'm new to this site, I don't know if any of you have ordered region-free DVD players from CodeFreeDVD.com, but I'm having a horrendous experience dealing with them.

I ordered a Code Free 1900 DVD player on 11/14 and paid $149 not including shipping. They claimed it would ship within 24 hours. It didn't ship until two weeks later on 11/28, and only after I emailed them a bunch of times. On their site they say they "check their email hourly with same-day response".....most of my emails were completely ignored by them and the one email they responded to was NINE DAYS after I first emailed them.

On 11/29 I received their shipment. It was the wrong DVD player, completely different than what I ordered. It was NOT EVEN THE SAME BRAND. They had sent me an I-View 1000DV when I ordered a Code Free 1900. The "I-View 1900" generally sells on other websites for about $40-50. I had paid $149 for the Code Free 1900. Never was there any email asking me for permission to change my order. They still charged me the original $149, even though the player they sent me is only worth $40. I tried calling all 3 of their telephone numbers and I always either get "wrong number" or nobody answers the ring tone. Their phone system is set up so that you will hear their ring tone for infinity, and never actually talk to anybody, and since you hear the ring tone for infinity, you can't leave a voicemail either.

I emailed them on 12/3 saying I want an exchange for the actual model I paid for, and of course there has been no reply. I have since emailed them 3 more times and of course no reply.

What should I do? Any advice?

Also, has anybody ordered from them before, and if so, is there any way I could contact them by phone and actually speak to a live person?

Thanks for your help,

Leo
I've never heard of the site. Did you check reviews of the site before ordering from them?
Originally Posted by indiancovers
thanks
Who are you? Please leave.
Old 12-06-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ask your credit card company to reverse the charge and let them know you're willing to return the incorrect item if the seller will arrange for UPS or FedEx pickup for the package.
Old 12-06-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Ask your credit card company to reverse the charge and let them know you're willing to return the incorrect item if the seller will arrange for UPS or FedEx pickup for the package.
Yup.

If it was in fact charged, file a dispute with your CC company. Provide them with your email purchase receipt and a picture of the item received (including the Bill of Sale, which should have been included - if you can scan it).

Though, you could even email codefree.com with the same email you prepare for the credit card dispute and see if they will make amends. But considering their poor practices I'd go straight to your CC company and screw em where it hurts.

Next time try HKFlix.com instead. I've used these guys more often than I care to admit, but they've been nothing but good to me. Bought two (region free) players and I will be buying a third from them, never mind the number of DVDs ..and I couldn't recommend them enough.
Old 12-08-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

220-Electronics.com is also a much better site, I've bought two great players there in the last few years and never had a problem.
Old 12-08-08, 11:50 AM

File a SNAD (significantly not as described) complaint with your card .
Old 12-09-08, 05:15 PM
Banned

Here's a great place to buy:

http://www.world-import.com/index.htm
Old 12-11-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I realllllllyyyy don't see a reason why one should go through a specialized dealer when there are dozens of reasonably-priced, readily-available players that can be set to Region-free with just a few clicks of the remote. Heck, you might already own such a player!

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
Old 12-12-08, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've found that quality wise some of the "chipped" hardwired non-remote hack region free players give me a better more consistent picture and less problems with NTSC/PAL conversion.
Old 12-15-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Leo, your situation just makes me want to cry...what an awful shopping experience...
Old 12-18-08, 12:37 PM

I too have recently attempted to purchase that very same code free 1900 from them only a week ago. I made some effort before ordering to see if I could find any good or bad info on them with no specific result so I decided to give it a try.

I received the initial order receipt e-mail info from them and they have charged my card. Its a week later now and no follow up info has been forthcoming. I've sent them one e-mail two days ago requesting a status update and one about half an hour ago.

I also just tried calling their contact number and no one answered. This I view as a very bad sign.

I stumbled across this thread while searching for references to them and used the google search "'codefreedvd' dispute". Low and behold a post from someone with a similar story. <sigh>
Old 12-18-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 202 Posts
Funny that 2 new members have this same exact issue...

I am not saying they are connected but very peculiar that Leo17 make his post then no follow-up. Now another newbie with the same problem just sounds a little off.

Personally I have never heard of Codefreedvd.com and agree with the above poster that there is no reason to buy from a specialized dealer anymore for a DVD player.

Call the credit card company and you are done with the problem.
Old 12-18-08, 01:45 PM

Well the reason I posted in the first place was because I found the reference to the original poster after doing a google search. While I'm only a week into the problem rather then posting after the fact I didn't think it would hurt to post my similar experience. I *have* contacted my credit card company and they suggested I wait until Monday before filing a dispute since its only a week after I made the initial order.