Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WB plans Arthur remake with Russell Brand

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russell Brand eyeing 'Arthur' redo
Actor could star in remake of 1981 comedy

By Borys Kit

Dec 4, 2008, 01:00 AM ET
hr/photos/stylus/44320-brand_russell_341x182.jpg

Russell Brand (Getty Images photo)
Remake mania
'Romancing the Stone' remake in works
'They Live' to be reincarnated
Russell Brand might soon be caught between the moon and New York City.

The British comedian is developing a remake of "Arthur," the 1981 comedy that starred Dudley Moore, for Warner Bros. as a potential starring vehicle.

Brand is meeting with scribes to write the screenplay, which will be produced by MBST's Larry Brezner, whose credits range from "Good Morning, Vietnam" to HBO's recent "Little Britain USA."

The original movie followed a boozy playboy rascal who is set to inherit a fortune if he marries an heiress his family thinks will make something out of him. However, he falls in love with a working-class woman and turns to his valet for help when his family makes him choose between money and love.

Moore was nominated for an Oscar as was Steve Gordon, the film's writer-director. John Gielgud, who played the valet, won the best supporting actor Oscar, and the movie's theme song, "The Best That You Can Do," won for original song.

Sarah Schechter is overseeing for Warners.

Brand already has a rascally reputation, not only for his past sex-, drugs- and alcohol-infused lifestyle but also for on-air radio pranks that recently led him to being suspended by the BBC. He subsequently resigned.

American audiences got their first taste of Brand in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," in which he played a rock star lothario. He next appears with Adam Sandler in "Bedtime Stories," which opens on Christmas Day. The Endeavor-repped actor is filming Julie Taymor's adaptation of Shakespeare's "The Tempest" and will reunite his "Marshall" co-horts for "Get Him to the Greek."
Russell Brand eyeing 'Arthur' redo
Actor could star in remake of 1981 comedy

By Borys Kit

Dec 4, 2008, 01:00 AM ET
Remake mania
'Romancing the Stone' remake in works
'They Live' to be reincarnated
Russell Brand might soon be caught between the moon and New York City.

The British comedian is developing a remake of "Arthur," the 1981 comedy that starred Dudley Moore, for Warner Bros. as a potential starring vehicle.

Brand is meeting with scribes to write the screenplay, which will be produced by MBST's Larry Brezner, whose credits range from "Good Morning, Vietnam" to HBO's recent "Little Britain USA."

The original movie followed a boozy playboy rascal who is set to inherit a fortune if he marries an heiress his family thinks will make something out of him. However, he falls in love with a working-class woman and turns to his valet for help when his family makes him choose between money and love.

Moore was nominated for an Oscar as was Steve Gordon, the film's writer-director. John Gielgud, who played the valet, won the best supporting actor Oscar, and the movie's theme song, "The Best That You Can Do," won for original song.

Sarah Schechter is overseeing for Warners.

Brand already has a rascally reputation, not only for his past sex-, drugs- and alcohol-infused lifestyle but also for on-air radio pranks that recently led him to being suspended by the BBC. He subsequently resigned.

American audiences got their first taste of Brand in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," in which he played a rock star lothario. He next appears with Adam Sandler in "Bedtime Stories," which opens on Christmas Day. The Endeavor-repped actor is filming Julie Taymor's adaptation of Shakespeare's "The Tempest" and will reunite his "Marshall" co-horts for "Get Him to the Greek."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...eb32b9d1edda97
Old 12-04-08, 12:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
We don't really need this, but the casting is good.
Old 12-04-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh jeez, this tool is going to bring his schtick to Arthur?
Old 12-04-08, 01:15 PM

This really really makes me sad.
Old 12-04-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Well, at least this should lead to an SE of the original. Last I checked the DVD was still full-frame.
Old 12-04-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't understand the point of doing this when Dudley Moore was so perfect in that role, and made the movie. I realize there are movies that could be remade with different actors because they weren't crucial to their parts, but this is not one of them.
Old 12-04-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Arthur was probably ... no, was DEFINITELY Dudley Moore's "signature" role. That's like grabbing the latest Australian douche-du-jour and putting him in a Crocodile Dundee remake... or remaking "Strange Brew" with Bryan Adams and Dave Coulier (CUT! IT! OUT!)
Old 12-04-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you have to look up how to spell Coulier?
Old 12-04-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If anyone was going to play Arthur, it should have been Dylan Moran. He'd have been perfect. Still interesting casting.
Old 12-04-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Did you have to look up how to spell Coulier?
It was an inspired guess. How'd I do?
Old 12-04-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
It was an inspired guess. How'd I do?
It was right.
Old 12-04-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't wait until I wake up one morning and realize that Russell Brand has fallen off the face of the earth. That will be a good day.
Old 12-04-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
who is russell brand?
Old 12-04-08, 11:50 PM

Exactly.
Old 12-04-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
... my first thought was "Cool!" But I thought they meant King Arthur. Nevermind.
Old 12-05-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Awesome news! I love the original but it's been so long since it came out that it seems ripe for a remake.

I wish they would cast Simon Pegg as Arthur though. He'd be perfect. Right now Pegg is a big boxoffice draw, so it would make more sense.

Or perhaps they could reunite the Monty Python troupe and have Eric Idle play Arthur. That would be classic.

If Brand stars in it, they should cast Andrew Sachs, who played Manuel on Fawlty Towers, as the butler. He seems like the type of veteran British actor who would have good chemistry with Brand like Gilegud had with Dudley Moore.
Old 12-05-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Arthur was probably ... no, was DEFINITELY Dudley Moore's "signature" role. That's like grabbing the latest Australian douche-du-jour and putting him in a Crocodile Dundee remake... or remaking "Strange Brew" with Bryan Adams and Dave Coulier (CUT! IT! OUT!)
Isn't "Australia" a Crocodile Dundee remake? The only difference being set in another period and the laughs begin unintentional?

(I'm talking trash, haven't seen Australia yet, but the trailer boasts an astonishingly similar plot to Dundee)
Old 12-05-08, 08:53 AM
Suspended

Simon Pegg would be a great Arthur. John Cleese could play the butler.
Old 12-05-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Right now Pegg is a big boxoffice draw, so it would make more sense.
While I love Pegg, he is not, and has never been, a box office draw. At least not in America.
Old 12-05-08, 01:07 PM

Why? Seriously. Dudley Moore was perfect. He was, is, and always will be Arthur. That laugh will forever be associated with the lovable drunk.

And Sir John Gielgud was so perfect as Hobson, he won a damn Oscar. As did "Arthur's Theme" by Christopher Cross.

Now don't get me wrong. Arthur is not a perfect movie. It's not even a great movie, I'd argue. But the heart of the story is the Arthur/Hobson relationship and there's no way they'll be able to come close to recapturing that magic, especially if Russell Brand is playing the lead.
Old 12-05-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Why? Seriously. Dudley Moore was perfect. He was, is, and always will be Arthur. That laugh will forever be associated with the lovable drunk.

And Sir John Gielgud was so perfect as Hobson, he won a damn Oscar. As did "Arthur's Theme" by Christopher Cross.

Now don't get me wrong. Arthur is not a perfect movie. It's not even a great movie, I'd argue. But the heart of the story is the Arthur/Hobson relationship and there's no way they'll be able to come close to recapturing that magic, especially if Russell Brand is playing the lead.
I'm pretty sure with somebody like Russell Brand doing this, it will not resemble the original that closely. He will bring his own style to it and hopefully it will be funny.
Old 12-05-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked Russell Brand a LOT in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"... a good combination of writing and performance, so much that he could have been written off as just a self-absorbed asshole through and through, but Brand really sold that his character was much more than an insufferable douche. He added some believable humanity to the role. I mean, he wasn't reinventing Macbeth or anything, but it was a really good performance.

Unfortunately, everything he's done since has shown that the guy is, in real life, little more than an insufferable douche. I poop in his watermelon.
Old 02-26-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: WB plans Arthur remake with Russell Brand

Peter Baynham to rewrite 'Arthur'
Russell Brand to star in comedy remake
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Peter Baynham has been set by Warner Bros. to write "Arthur," a remake of the 1981 comedy that is being crafted as a vehicle for Russell Brand to play the lovable lush.

Baynham was one of Sacha Baron Cohen's screenwriting cohorts on "Borat," and he collaborated with Baron Cohen once again on the upcoming "Bruno."

"Arthur" is being produced by Larry Brezner and Benderspink.

Brezner produced the original, which was written and directed by Steve Gordon and starred Dudley Moore as a boozy playboy whose plan to marry into a moneyed family goes awry when he falls in love with a working class gal.

Brand had his film breakthrough in the Universal comedy "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." He reprises his role as musician Aldous Snow in another U comedy, "Get Him to the Greek."

Benderspink partners Chris Bender and J.C. Spink are also executive producers on "Leap Year," the Harry Elfont/Deborah Kaplan-scripted Spyglass comedy.

Baynham is repped by UTA.
Old 02-26-09, 01:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This actually intrigues me. I will see it.
Old 02-26-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Great casting! Second only to possibly seeing Dudley Moore in the role. Now if THAT movie had been made there'd be no reason for this one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.