Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hi-Def movies should fill up the entire WideScreen TV

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excuse me for wanting a movie to fill my entire 65" widescreen 1080P DLP TV.

You guys are insane if you love having your precious TV be cut in 1/3 when a movie is being played. The fact remains is that there should be a standard now. There is simply no excuse for movies being filmed these days (I'M NOT REFERRING TO MOVIES ALREADY FILMED) to not fill up the entire screen.

Stop your analogy of 4:3 vs 16:9. 4:3 TVs was a horrible decision because our eyes do not see in 4:3 "full frame" vision, we see in widescreen.

I'm not a stoner, if you can't tell that my name is a play on the Wii and the Nintendo DS then you have inherent problems; which is probably why you love black bars on your movies.

Why is it you don't see black bars on Hi-Def videogames? Because there is a standard.

Get off your high horse and realize that when people buy a TV, especially a high end 1080P TV, that they want the whole image to be filled. Not 2/3s of it.
Old 12-04-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get off your low horse and realize that you don't know what you're talking about.

There are plenty of resources already available (as well as numerous threads here) that address your concerns and explain things like artistic integrity and vision for a film and how to best serve that in the various venues for display.

Last edited by pinata242; 12-04-08 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-04-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker
Why is it you don't see black bars on Hi-Def videogames? Because there is a standard.
Movies, unlike video games, are not made for the TV. Your TV sucks balls compared to a movie theater.

TV shows are made for TV. Note most high-def TV shows do "fill up" your screen.

Movies don't because movies aren't made for your fucking tiny television. They are made to be projected onto a screen. Only later, do we put them on discs so they can be played at home.

When the studios release movies in Blu-ray, they want to replicate the experience of sitting in movie theater and seeing the exact fucking thing that you would see if you had gone to the theater. Not more, not less.

Rather than continue complaining about something you are completely uninformed about, either get informed (quick) or stick to talking about what you know.

Here is what you sound like, translated into "Sports" talk or "Nintendo" talk:

"If the BCS used a tournament system, then we would win less medals during the World Series."

"The thing I don't like about the Wii is that it sucks because there's too many Sonics in the game and I like Marios in the game because moustaches rule."