Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Polanski files for sex-case dismissal

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-03-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His victim says the charges should be dropped. He's a convicted child molester. I'm leaning to drop charges. What do you think?
From Variety:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Roman Polanski has launched a new initiative to get back into Hollywood.
On Tuesday, attorneys for the director filed a complaint with the Los Angeles Superior Court seeking to have 31-year-old sexual misconduct charges dismissed. Fittingly enough, a docu about the filmmaker's travails paved the way for latest attempt to clear Polanski's name.

Polanski's attorneys cite "extraordinary new evidence" that has surfaced with the release of Marina Zenovich's "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired" as reason to reopen the case. The complaint zeroes in on interviews in which then-deputy district attorney David Wells admits discussing the case with Judge Lawrence Rittenband during legal proceedings from the 1970s and further charges the current District Attorney's Office with misconduct in statements made upon the docu's June release.

Polanski, the complaint charges, "was and continues to be the victim of repeated, unlawful and unethical misconduct on the part of the L.A. District Attorney's Office and L.A. Superior Court."

A hearing has been set for Jan. 21.

Although Polanski has long expressed reluctance to revisit the case, he apparently is eager to clear his name and put the issue to rest. The director, a French citizen, has had his share of heartache and success in Hollywood, where his wife Sharon Tate was murdered. The sexual misconduct charges stem from a 1977 encounter with a 13-year-old girl at Jack Nicholson's house when the actor was not home.

He fled before sentencing, and since then there have been several attempts to resolve the case. His victim, Samantha Geimer, has repeatedly requested that the charges be dropped. He has continued to work in France, winning an Oscar for 2002's "The Pianist." His next project, "The Ghost," is skedded to begin lensing in Europe in February.

New attorneys have taken up the charge for Polanski, since Douglas Dalton, his longtime attorney, has retired. Chad Hummel of Manatt, Phelps & Phillips and Bart Dalton (Douglas' son) of Cauley Bowman Carney & Williams filed the complaint on behalf of the director.

The Polanski camp approached Hummel, who recently defended an LAPD officer embroiled in the Anthony Pellicano wiretapping trial, to investigate whether they had grounds to reopen the case. The attorneys issued a joint statement alluding to the docu, but declined to comment further.

"The release of the documentary film 'Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired' and its aftermath have revealed a pattern of misconduct and improper communications between the Superior Court and the District Attorney's Office, in violation of the rule of law and without the knowledge of the defendant or his counsel," they said. "This case serves as a classic example of how our justice system can be abused, and defendants' rights trampled, by an unholy alliance between courts and criminal prosecutors."

Polanski's camp last tried to resolve the case in 1997, but those negotiations fell apart over a judge's supposed stipulation that the hearing be televised. Zenovich revised the end card of "Wanted and Desired" at the last minute due to conflicting statements about negotiations in 1997 to resolve the case, prompting Douglas Dalton and original prosecutor Roger Gunson to accuse the District Attorney's Office of misspeaking. The complaint accuses deputy D.A. Richard Doyle of prosecutorial misconduct due to his recent statements.
Old 12-03-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Charming fellow.

While there's no question that he got a raw deal from the courts, I can't work up any sympathy for him.
Old 12-03-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If he wasn't a well known filmmaker would you want his charges to be dropped for having sex with a 13 year old, or would you want him to have to actually face the music?
Old 12-03-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Face the fucking music!
Old 12-03-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Polanski was ready to "face the music". He only skipped the country when it became obvious to him that the prosecutor in the case had (illegally) cut a deal with the sentencing judge to put him behind bars for a significant amount of time (all this after Polanski had spent 42 days at a state prison for evaluation with the understanding that his cooperation would lead to a lesser sentence).

Polanski's no saint - don't misunderstand me - but he certainly had reasons (other than his guilt) for doing what he did.
Old 12-03-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
He should be castrated...

If he did that to my daughter I would have killed him.

Last edited by d2cheer; 12-03-08 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like him for Chinatown, haven't seen The Pianist though I want to. But...no matter how great he may or be for fuckall...he has to pay for his crimes.
Old 12-03-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Polanski was ready to "face the music". He only skipped the country when it became obvious to him that the prosecutor in the case had (illegally) cut a deal with the sentencing judge to put him behind bars for a significant amount of time (all this after Polanski had spent 42 days at a state prison for evaluation with the understanding that his cooperation would lead to a lesser sentence).

Polanski's no saint - don't misunderstand me - but he certainly had reasons (other than his guilt) for doing what he did.
I don't have much sympathy for him regarding any of that. He should come back to the US to be tried for his crimes IF he wants to come back here.

It sounds like illegal stuff was done to Polanski AFTER Polanski himself did something very illegal. Funny how that works.
Old 12-03-08, 12:39 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Drop the charges.
Old 12-03-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
If he wasn't a well known filmmaker would you want his charges to be dropped for having sex with a 13 year old, or would you want him to have to actually face the music?
And if the charges are dismissed, will the level of rejoicing that inevitably follows actually have been outrage if this guy wasn't famous?
Old 12-03-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't drop the charges. The man should have done his jail time years ago. The only reason to even consider dropping the charges is because the victim wants to. Reading that link that Josh-Da-Man provided makes me want to vomit.
Old 12-03-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At this point the victim is no longer the only thing, right? He fled the country when he shouldn't have. That in and of itself probably has some kind of possible punishment.
Old 12-03-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

By all means the chargers should be dropped and he should be allowed back into the country...

...with the caveat being he is required to wear a white t-shirt at all times with the words "SHAMELESS KIDDIE FIDDLER" on it.
Old 12-03-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I don't have much sympathy for him regarding any of that. He should come back to the US to be tried for his crimes IF he wants to come back here.

It sounds like illegal stuff was done to Polanski AFTER Polanski himself did something very illegal. Funny how that works.
You are right. Criminals shouldn't have any rights at all.
Old 12-03-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, but if only I had said that. (I love being quoted and accused of saying something that you're not quoting because I never said it)

I don't have much sympathy for a guy who rapes a 13 year old, flees the country and never gets punished and then wants to have the charges dropped. Yes, he has rights, but you're not going to get my sympathy when you rape someone and then break the law again by fleeing the country because you think someone else is breaking the law. I guess the legal system he was in could have potentially been a bit corrupt, which is why...

*everyone say it at once*

You probably shouldn't rape 13 year olds. You probably shouldn't rape anybody, but especially 13 year olds. He could have stayed clear of the whole mess to begin with.

If you think charges should be dropped, fine. If not, fine. This is my viewpoint. I don't think I'm going to spend any more time discussing this guy since I know what I think on the subject and don't really care to discuss it any more.

Last edited by Seantn; 12-03-08 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
You probably shouldn't rape 13 year olds.
That's just like, your opinion, man.
Old 12-03-08, 03:27 PM

Charges should not be dropped. Our legal system isn't perfect but that's not an excuse for any and all people charged with something to flee the country.

Dropping the charges wouldn't even be considered if it wasn't for the fact that he is a famous movie director. Why the hell should that have anything to do with it?
Old 12-03-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
If Victor Salva served time for what he did, Polanski should do the same.

Old 12-03-08, 05:28 PM
Banned

Where's the poll?
Roman porks a minor in the butt and the Superior Court and the District Attorney's office is the one with misconduct.
Old 12-03-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

polanski is one of the great directors, it is too bad his career is overshadowed by this, long after he is dead it will follow his legacy, just like van gogh and the ear incident. I think it was a mistake to try to come back to this case, he should just continue what he has been doing, not give them the satisfaction of another spectacle...
Old 12-03-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

even if that's true, the fact that he fled the country instead of dealing with this through the appeals process is ridiculous. he deserves no leniency for being a pussy for not facing the court system for his crime.
Old 12-03-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
You are right. Criminals shouldn't have any rights at all.
his right is to go before the Court and fight the charges. seems like he was a coward and didn't want to do that. oh well, he gets what he deserves.
Old 12-03-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Normally, I would say don't drop the charges in a case like this, but the victim involved who's now all grown-up has forgiven him and wants the charges dropped so I figure her view is more important than mine in this case.
Old 12-03-08, 07:42 PM
Banned

It was the 70's and the 13 year-old girl was at Jack Nicholson's house. What did she think was gonna happen!
Still I dont know. I say let him go. It was a seedy thing to do but since the chick WAS willing and forgives him I dont see a crime any longer.
Old 12-03-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
As an artist and filmmaker, Polanski is one of the great ones.

As a man, as a human being, he is beyond despicable. As someone else mentioned, imagine if the victim were your daughter, granddaughter, niece, sister, etc. You'd be out for blood.

That having been said, I am completely indifferent as to whether or not he actually serves time at this point. Donating a SICK amount of money to help manage female victims of rape, abuse, violence, and incest would, at the very least, be a VERY minimal start towards paying his debt to society.

Ehhh... fuck him. But CHINATOWN, REPULSION, and ROSEMARY'S BABY are three of my all-time favorite movies, and I will continue watching them religiously.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.