Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there anyone here (Christmas present notwithstanding) still using DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-02-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only ask this because this is DVD Talk and everyone seems to crap on DVD announcements when there's a HD section for those who have BluRay to talk about how superior they are. So who else is still, financially causing (or otherwise) still living in 2000 and buying DVD's?

Me, I would love a BluRay player but I can't afford one right now and I hate personally was hoping Blu was going to wind up a niche fad like SACD, but it looks like it's not the case. But still, it seems like people who still buy DVD's are looked down on and that every announcement is supposed to have a BluRay tie-in with it. So who here still hasn't jumped onboard yet, not counting expecting a player for Christmas?
Old 12-02-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I still buy (and love) dvd. Still alot I need to get, and I don't see myself having a BD player before this time next year. Even when I get into Blu Ray I will keep most of my dvd collection, as BD won't have them all and some won't have all the features
Old 12-02-08, 07:21 PM
Cool New Member

I'm still a DVD collector. Just under 400. I don't see myself switching to BD anytime soon. I'm satisfied with the picture I get from the Oppo connected to the Pioneer plasma. With DVDs I can pop it in the car or in the portable DVD player for my son. If I was a BD collector, I'd also have to buy an SD version of many (especially the Pixars/Disneys/etc.) so my son can watch it on the portable.
Old 12-02-08, 07:22 PM

I haven't jumped in yet for many reasons, but the main one is that I don't own an HD T.V., and most likely won't for a while.

DVD's upconverted look damn good on my 32" standared def, so I'm getting lots of enjoyment out of them, which is the point of having them.

Hopefully once I'm ready to jump onboard the prices will really have come down -- then I'll be faced with which movies do I rebuy in HD... oh the pain....
Old 12-02-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm still an avid dvd collector. I have no plans of switching to any sort of HD format any time in the future, near or otherwise.
Old 12-02-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I buy a shitload of DVD AND Blu-ray. Unfortunately, my tastes are little um, broader than what Blu-ray is offering (at least at this point).. I tend to watch more Exploitation flicks and Foreign Horror/Action/So-on-and-so-forth and those are few and far between in 1080p..
Old 12-02-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
I have both formats and still buy films in both.

As LickTheABC's has mentioned, there are films that I like that will not hit Blu-Ray anytime soon and I don't plan on waiting.

I don't think my HD/BD collection will ever catch up to my SD collection (which is nearing 875+)
Old 12-02-08, 07:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I have not upgraded to Blu-ray or hi-def yet, so while I am buying less DVD, I still buy them...I've also started picking up Blu-ray discs.
Old 12-02-08, 07:39 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm happy with DVD taking up 80 percent of my multi thousand collection. DVD is an excellent product at a good price. Until Blu ray is treated like a dvd in pricing on columbia house or comes way down in price, I will continue to embrace dvd.
Old 12-02-08, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The picture comes out almost just-as good or better then Blu-ray most of the time with the upconvert 1080. I'm sticking with dvd for now.
Old 12-02-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that the first wave of Criterion Blu-rays are coming out, I'll probably purchase a player in the next couple of months. Up until now, there hadn't been more than a handful of worthwhile films released on the format, mostly by Warner Bros.
Old 12-02-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no big urge to switch over to Blu-ray...maybe if someone gifts me with a player, and even then I doubt I'd spend much on Blu discs. I'll stick with DVD for the forseeable future.
Old 12-02-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard about the upconvert players. Do they enhance all DVD's or just the newer titles? I mean, not counting 1998-2001 era titles that were pressed before HD was expected to become the norm
Old 12-02-08, 08:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
I've moved over to BD for the most part. DVD's are few and far between now. Unless I find a great set I never got before that's already out, or some cheap SE title for $3-5.99. There are hardly any more titles coming out that are not SD and not released on BD.
Old 12-02-08, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I've heard about the upconvert players. Do they enhance all DVD's or just the newer titles? I mean, not counting 1998-2001 era titles that were pressed before HD was expected to become the norm
They'll upconvert any type of DVD. Usually, and that's a big USUALLY, non-Anamorphic or 4x3 DVDs don't upconvert so well. Case in point, the first season of Buffy looks like Ass on a Biscuit.

Any newer release SHOULD look fine. That is unless the studios are purposely degrading quality to get you to buy the Blu. I dunno, I usually only buy or rent the Blu of any new release, so couldn't really tell ya..
Old 12-02-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first season of Buffy looks like Toasted Buttered Ass no matter how you're viewing it. And I don't expect to upgrade to Blu-Ray for a long time.
Old 12-02-08, 09:07 PM

I still pick up DVDs from time to time... mainly TV sets though.
Old 12-02-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by darkhawk
The picture comes out almost just-as good or better then Blu-ray most of the time with the upconvert 1080. I'm sticking with dvd for now.
I'd really like to hear of 3 films that look better upconverted compared to Blu-ray.
Old 12-02-08, 10:03 PM

I only buy DVDs. I don't need the whole Hi-Def thing and unless it replaces DVD completele i doubt I will ever upgrade. I don't feel like trying to rebuy everything I bought for $5 or under for $20 or $30 on Blu-ray
Old 12-02-08, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'd really like to hear of 3 films that look better upconverted compared to Blu-ray.
Yeah, me too. Oh, and don't mention anything animated or CG.
Old 12-02-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Me, I would love a BluRay player but I can't afford one right now and I hate personally was hoping Blu was going to wind up a niche fad like SACD, but it looks like it's not the case. But still, it seems like people who still buy DVD's are looked down on and that every announcement is supposed to have a BluRay tie-in with it. So who here still hasn't jumped onboard yet, not counting expecting a player for Christmas?
You've got it all wrong!

People who are still buying DVDs are not looked down on, those who come forward and spread lies insisting the upconversion is as good as Blu-ray sourced media, or better (see post #10), are.

Plain and simple!

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-02-08 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-02-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by robe619
I'm still a DVD collector. Just under 400. I don't see myself switching to BD anytime soon. I'm satisfied with the picture I get from the Oppo connected to the Pioneer plasma. With DVDs I can pop it in the car or in the portable DVD player for my son. If I was a BD collector, I'd also have to buy an SD version of many (especially the Pixars/Disneys/etc.) so my son can watch it on the portable.
If you are a DVD Collector then by all means you should stay with DVD and continue to collect the plastic discs.

If you are a cinema aficionado, who desires the best possible quality for his favorite films, then Blu-ray is the only and natural supplement. It really comes down to whether you are collecting DVDs or films, and how you distinguish the two.

Pro-B
Old 12-02-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by darkhawk
I would encourage you to check out the many, many DVD vs. BD comparison threads at AVSForum before making such a bold and ultimately untrue statement.

Nothing's wrong with sticking with DVD for any number of reasons. But making wild statements to rationalize it doesn't make much sense.

Back in 2006 I was very stubborn about not jumping on the bandwagon either.
I didn't think the difference would be so much better. I was wrong. Even on my 1080i CRT RPTV the difference was easily appreciable, but it wasn't until I went to my 1080p DLP that the differences really stood out.

I have effectively replaced about 1/2 of my films with high-def versions so far (the rest aren't available yet). I still buy plenty of TV on DVD and even some films which aren't available in high-def.
Old 12-02-08, 10:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I still buy DVD, it's not like I have a choice, not everything is put on BD. Though if BD is offered I tend to get that over the regular DVD.
Old 12-02-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Yeah, me too. Oh, and don't mention anything animated or CG.
You know what? Those still look noticeably better anyway. Not as night and day as some films, but nevertheless, take a look:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1085322

I don't want to post the pics directly in the thread as they are large, but the differences are readily apparent in these screenshots of Wall-E.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.