Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"X-Files: I Want to Believe" Extended cut running time

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-02-08, 12:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I noted that on the back of the dvd/bluray that was released today, that it states that there are two cuts of the film, but a running time of 104 minutes (the theatrical cut) is the only running time denoted. How long is the extended cut?
Old 12-02-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Extended Cut only has like four extra minutes.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35532...ended-cut-the/
Old 12-02-08, 12:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
thanks.
Old 12-03-08, 08:06 PM

My question: Where should I buy this? Are there cool exclusives anywhere, does anyone know?
Old 12-03-08, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
My question: Where should I buy this? Are there cool exclusives anywhere, does anyone know?
I already purchased and opened the regular 3-disc from Best Buy for $24.99 today, then I find out there's a steelbook at TWEC stores (such as FYE). :/
Old 12-04-08, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please tell me this thing is better on a second viewing. I love the X-Files but found this one painful to sit through. Any chance the extended cut also has a different script and director?

Any word on how interesting the commentary track is?
Old 12-04-08, 12:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't listened to the commentary track yet, but I found it played much better on the small screen. The initial time I saw it, I think I was just in shock the whole time that these characters were actually back. After viewing it 3 times (twice in theaters, once last night on DVD) I like it a lot better.
Old 12-05-08, 03:13 AM
Cool New Member

Speaking of FYE, I have a Sam Goody in the mall near me that I swear prices stuff above SRP, for example, the Iron Man steelbook was 37.99.

Anyway back on topic, I did not notice anything significantly different about the ext cut vs the theatrical cut, save for the end credits. Count me as a fan of this film, especially after the second viewing.

While the story wasn't what I expected, I appreciate that it wasn't just "Fight the Future II", and it brought back the more intimate, closer to earth feel of the early season eps. I also enjoyed the movie as a character piece for Mulder and Scully. While the movie did not provide closure for the mythology narrative, I thought it did a solid job in reviving and refocusing the characters after the events of the series finale.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Wal-Mart is selling IWTB in a two pack with the OOP Fight the Future for $20. Bad news is that it is only the single disc version.

Last edited by hiroic; 12-05-08 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-05-08, 08:55 AM

This should explain

There are two versions of "Believe" offered on this DVD: the Theatrical Cut and a new Extended Version that runs a scant four minutes longer. Primarily consisting of small character moments (Scully receives a nice, gentle moment of teary frustration), brief snippets of violence (released from their PG-13 bondage), and a new set of end credits, the extension makes for a more united viewing experience, but it's hardly a radical new reworking of the film. Review by Brian Orndorf

Sorry i coudnt post a link dont have 15 post yet