Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Amazon selling Help! (Deluxe Edition) for $19.99

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(DEAD) Amazon selling Help! (Deluxe Edition) for $19.99

Think this is cheaper than the gold box deal of the day offer they ran a few monthes back.

http://www.amazon.com/Help-Deluxe-Be...8176282&sr=8-3
Old 12-01-08, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats up with the retail price ? $134.99 for 2 discs ???
Old 12-01-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's more than 2 discs. Here's a picture and list of what it contains besides the DVDs.

Deluxe Package also includes:

- a reproduction of Richard Lester s original annotated script

- 8 lobby cards

- poster

- 60-page book with rarely seen photographs and production notes from the movie

Old 12-01-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Darn, I bought it from the gold box special. Well, time to buy another one for a gift!
Old 12-01-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Think this is cheaper than the gold box deal of the day offer they ran a few months back.

http://www.amazon.com/Help-Deluxe-Be...8176282&sr=8-3
You are correct. The Gold box deal was $30.
Old 12-01-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, First the Family Guy Stewie Head and now this. Thanks a ton, OP.

I was on the fence with this ever since I had it in my hands on release day at F.Y.E., I just could never pull the trigger. Mostly because I always thought it was way overpriced to begin with, but what a steal at 20 bucks.
Old 12-02-08, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DEAL DEAD! $121.49 now. I never placed my order. I was looking through the cheap titles to get free shipping, and suddenly the price jumped. Oh well. I already have it from the gold box deal, but thought it would make a great gift for 20 bucks.
Old 12-02-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Ouch.
Old 12-02-08, 02:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
DEAL DEAD! $121.49 now. I never placed my order. I was looking through the cheap titles to get free shipping, and suddenly the price jumped. Oh well. I already have it from the gold box deal, but thought it would make a great gift for 20 bucks.
Yep...kinda makes you wonder just how much the retailers mark things up if they can discount them $100 or more.

It's not like a "loss leader" to get you in the grocery store when you only need a gallon of milk.
Old 12-02-08, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
It's ended.
Old 12-02-08, 08:05 AM

Received 4,628 Likes on 3,134 Posts
Glad I ordered it then. It was cheaper than the regular edition. I dont understand how the price can drop for like 2 hours and then sky rocket back up.
Old 12-02-08, 11:00 AM

Thanks to the OP! I got in on this last night as a blind buy. It sounds fun, so it's worth a shot.
Old 12-02-08, 11:08 AM

Another thanks to the OP! Ordered last night, perfect stocking-stuffer for my GF.
Old 12-02-08, 11:13 AM

Thanks OP! Grabbed one last night. Glad I resisted when it was a Goldbox item.

Despite all the extras, I can't believe anyone would buy it for MSRP. For that price I want a copy of the OOP Yellow Submarine and throw in the Anthology dvd series too.
Old 12-02-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,038 Likes on 856 Posts
Weird movie, but almost worth the price just for "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away."
Old 12-02-08, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by theflicker
Thanks OP! Grabbed one last night. Glad I resisted when it was a Goldbox item.

Despite all the extras, I can't believe anyone would buy it for MSRP. For that price I want a copy of the OOP Yellow Submarine and throw in the Anthology dvd series too.
For the full MSRP, I'd want the actual submarine thrown in.

With Ringo steering.
Old 12-02-08, 03:00 PM

Hmm... Didn't realize what a deal this was. Should have ordered
Old 12-02-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shit, I had no idea how close I was to missing that last night.
Old 12-02-08, 06:39 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
There were a few sellers selling it in the amazon marketplace it for 30 last night. The wholesale price on it must be readily available in that range for some.
Old 12-02-08, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Yep...kinda makes you wonder just how much the retailers mark things up if they can discount them $100 or more.

It's not like a "loss leader" to get you in the grocery store when you only need a gallon of milk.
So you're assuming all retailers can mark everything 80% off and still make a profit on each item.
Old 12-03-08, 06:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
So you're assuming all retailers can mark everything 80% off and still make a profit on each item.

Nope, you're assuming that I'm assuming that.

That's not what I said.

Here's what I was wondering: How can retailers afford to mark these items down so drastically unless they have a huge markup already? Nothing was said about discounting "everything" 80%...the actual quote mentioned "things"...as in "some things" (i.e., these particular sale items) as opposed to "everything". Just to make "things" clear.

My point was that I doubt that online retailers are like brick & mortar stores which commonly run items on sale in order to get the customer in the store...where they are surrounded by other tempting items at regular prices (or, in the case of grocery stores, where many will go ahead & fill their carts with the rest of their grocery needs rather than going to a different store). They make up for any profits lost from the sale items by increasing sales on the other items.

On the other hand, I sincerely doubt that many people see an advertised item, go to the website, order the item, and then fill their cart with lots of other goodies (at regular prices) that they never intended to order.

In other words, these sales on hugely discounted online items seem to be a means of reducing overstock rather than creating new 'traffic' for the site. In that case, the online retailer is either taking a huge loss or the item was already marked up quite a bit.

Last edited by creekdipper; 12-03-08 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-03-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My point was that I doubt that online retailers are like brick & mortar stores which commonly run items on sale in order to get the customer in the store...where they are surrounded by other tempting items at regular prices (or, in the case of grocery stores, where many will go ahead & fill their carts with the rest of their grocery needs rather than going to a different store). They make up for any profits lost from the sale items by increasing sales on the other items.

On the other hand, I sincerely doubt that many people see an advertised item, go to the website, order the item, and then fill their cart with lots of other goodies (at regular prices) that they never intended to order.
Yes, it's much easier to get in and out of an online store without buying an appliance you didn't plan on. On the other hand, the web site is their store, and they have to get customers there somehow. And it would vary on the customer: some are hunters; others are lingerers. It would also vary on whether the customer shops at a number of web sites, or a combination with B&M, etc. Someone who always searches for the best deals won't be tempted by other items.

In other words, these sales on hugely discounted online items seem to be a means of reducing overstock rather than creating new 'traffic' for the site. In that case, the online retailer is either taking a huge loss or the item was already marked up quite a bit.
We'll probaby never know for sure, but since Amazon has a well-established "deal" destination in the Gold Box, and this offer--better than the Gold Box version people saw earlier--was not there and apparently only live for a few hours, I agree it seems unlikely that this was supposed to be a traffic-driver. Whether they were still making a profit--say, if the company was selling this item to Amazon for $19--we'll probably never know that either. But from what I know, when someone is reducing huge overstock, maintaining profit is not always the primary concern.
Old 12-03-08, 01:29 PM

There are those who will be quick to point out that this item did not qualify for free shipping. I really doubt they dropped this item by 80% to get people to pick at least $5 worth of more merchandise, but I suppose it could be argued.

I have Prime, so I just pounced. I guess they already have my money though . . .
Old 12-04-08, 02:09 AM
Banned

David & Flicker make valid points to which I readily concede....

especially since my order of Help! arrived TODAY!!!!!!!!!!

Ordered my copies late Monday night (or early Tuesday)...with FREE shipping (not Prime)...and they arrive a day later (even if I ordered late Monday, they couldn't have gone out until Tuesday, I'm thinking).

They came via UPS, but it's like they overnighted them!???! This is unreal.

Not complaining, mind you...but just wondering how that happened.

I did get several other Amazon boxes from BF deals arrive Wednesday, but that still doesn't explain the lightning shipment of Help!

Anybody else get theirs already????
Old 12-04-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine will be here today. Usually they ship items from the closest warehouse, but not always. I usually get like 99% of the media items from PA/DE but Help! came from Kansas via FedEx 2day (prime member). It maybe that this particular item was only in one region, hence the quick speed (I don't know where you're located) but that's probably the reason.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.