Reload this Page >

question about james bond ultimate editions

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-30-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOT the ones that come five to a box in the four volume sets - but rather the two-disc ultimate editions that are now sold seperatly as single titles.

are the bonus features on these the same as the ones found in the five-to-a-box titles? just wondering in case I ever need to replace one or both discs from any movie as I have all four of the box sets.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-08, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, these are the same as the titles in the box sets.

Keep in mind, though, that only 8 of them have been released separately so far (Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Thunderball, Live And Let Die, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, The Living Daylights, and Die Another Day). Although if the rumors are correct, you should see at least another 6 in March (Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, The Spy Who Loved Me, License To Kill, Goldeneye, and The World Is Not Enough).

EDIT: Well, they did announce those 6 titles I mentioned for Blu-Ray on March 18th. I think it'll be likely the 2-Disc Ultimate Editions on standard DVD will street that day, too.

Last edited by MTRodaba2468; 12-01-08 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-01-08, 11:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts
Might as well throw this question in here.

I have all the recent DVD boxsets, largely unopened I believe, but just bought the blu-rays.

Anyone know if anything is missing from the blu-rays? Even a minor special feature like filmographies are usually enough to get me to keep my double dips.
Old 12-02-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A similar question to Trevor's, but I'm backing up all the way to the original MGM releases. I asked this in another Bond thread, no one knew, so let's try here!

Does anyone know if the original MGM release commentaries are the included in the Ultimate Edition (and Blu-Ray) releases? dvdcompare.net was a little fuzzy on the details. It would say that the MGM commentary was with with person X, but then the UE releases would say that it was with person X and others.

It almost sounds like they took the original commentary and added some interview commentaries or something... or the dvdcompare.net details were incomplete for the MGM releases.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Blu-Ray releases and wasn't sure if there was any reason to keep the original MGM versions.
Old 12-03-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
A similar question to Trevor's, but I'm backing up all the way to the original MGM releases. I asked this in another Bond thread, no one knew, so let's try here!

Does anyone know if the original MGM release commentaries are the included in the Ultimate Edition (and Blu-Ray) releases? dvdcompare.net was a little fuzzy on the details. It would say that the MGM commentary was with with person X, but then the UE releases would say that it was with person X and others.

It almost sounds like they took the original commentary and added some interview commentaries or something... or the dvdcompare.net details were incomplete for the MGM releases.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Blu-Ray releases and wasn't sure if there was any reason to keep the original MGM versions.
The Blu-rays contain everything found on the Ultimate Edition DVDs. I'm pretty sure that the commentaries from the Ultimate Editions are identical to the commentaries on earlier releases (when those earlier releases had commentaries). I don't believe that any older commentaries were dropped or edited.

What is undoubtedly causing confusion is the way that MGM has labeled the contents on their discs. For example, Live and Let Die claims to have an "Audio Commentary by Director Guy Hamilton". However, that track is really an assemblage of numerous audio interviews from the cast and crew. Hamilton is merely one participant. On the other hand, the "Commentary by Sir Roger Moore" and "Commentary by Tom Mankiewicz" on the same disc are truly solo tracks.
Old 12-03-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Thanks. That's what I was thinking, too, but wanted to run it by someone. As much as I love dvdcompare.net, sometimes the information isn't consistent between releases (yes, I know different people list the features, etc..)
Old 12-03-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Might as well throw this question in here.

I have all the recent DVD boxsets, largely unopened I believe, but just bought the blu-rays.

Anyone know if anything is missing from the blu-rays? Even a minor special feature like filmographies are usually enough to get me to keep my double dips.
The bonus content on the Blu-Rays are the same as the Ultimate Editions.

With that said, though, if something was missing on the UEs from the previous edition (such as with a good deal of the bonus content from the original Die Another Day release), with will still be missing from the Blu-Rays.
Old 12-04-08, 08:04 AM

One thing to add is that the insert fold-out booklets included in the original, thin-case boxed "Ultimate Editions" are NOT included in the Blu-Ray releases....I can only assume the new 2 disc DVD releases don't have them either.

Other than that, the disc contents appear to be identical. I don't think any more bucks would be dumped into them at this point. They are just repackaged and re-marketed because of the QUANTUM film.

Last edited by Carcosa; 12-04-08 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-04-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I've owned each and every Bond DVD release to date, and I can tell you that the nice thing about updating Bond is that (so far), they've only added features. Everything that was there on "Tomorrow Never Dies" Special Edition ten years ago is present today, with added features. Every bonus feature from the MGM release has been carried over to the Ultimate Editions.
Old 12-04-08, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I've owned each and every Bond DVD release to date, and I can tell you that the nice thing about updating Bond is that (so far), they've only added features. Everything that was there on "Tomorrow Never Dies" Special Edition ten years ago is present today, with added features. Every bonus feature from the MGM release has been carried over to the Ultimate Editions.
Are you positive? I believe the production booklets are different, the above mentioned Die Another Day, and I thought some trivial special features like filmographies.
Old 12-04-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Are you positive? I believe the production booklets are different, the above mentioned Die Another Day, and I thought some trivial special features like filmographies.
C'mon, filmographies? Those are about as special a feature as animated menus. I know sometimes the filmographies have a history about the actor and stuff, but that would not make me keep my previous version. Production notes, might, depending on how detailed they were. In general, I'm in the same boat, though, I won't sell/give away a previous version unless ALL the special features are on the new disc (as mentioned before, filmographies don't count for me.) If the old release has a booklet, I'll just keep it before I give the old one away or whatever. DVD ROM features don't really count for me either. I know there are probably some cool stuff on those, but I just have never even looked at those. I figure they should be available from the DVD itself.
Old 12-04-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Not true....the "Die Another Die" Ultimate Edition does not have all of the special features that were on the original release....
Old 12-04-08, 05:56 PM

The ultimate sets are still the best buy. And yep there is a lot missing on Die Another Day but seriously...its Die Another Day:-p
Old 12-04-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's why Die Another Day is the only single release I have kept. I was hoping to finally dump it after the BD release. Oh well.
Old 12-04-08, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Numes
C'mon, filmographies?
I said trivial.
Old 12-05-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by acp35
And yep there is a lot missing on Die Another Day but seriously...its Die Another Day:-p
While DAD may be the weakest of the Bond movies, I don't think that's an excuse...
Old 12-06-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by WMAangel
Not true....the "Die Another Die" Ultimate Edition does not have all of the special features that were on the original release....
I'd forgotten about that one. Honest mistake or selective memory: I really don't know!
Old 07-11-09, 03:59 AM

Re: question about james bond ultimate editions

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a question. Do the Region 1 Ultimate Edition DVDs of Octopussy and The Living Daylights have their burned-in location/foreign dialogue subtitles? I know those are missing from the older releases but are they present in the Ultimate Editions?