The Amazing Race 13 -- "You're Gonna Get Me Killed" -- 11/30/08

Old 11-30-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
The Amazing Race 13 -- "You're Gonna Get Me Killed" -- 11/30/08

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

One team makes an unprecedented mistake on the road that ultimately prohibits them from joining their fellow Racers at the finish line. Racers hunt for Red October to find a cryptic clue. One Racer's lack of historic knowledge stalls their race in the Graveyard of Fallen Monuments. One team falls behind when confused by Moscow's many modes of public transportation. One racer uses Pictionary skills to communicate with their taxi driver.

Old 11-30-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Pad alert - there will be a long football overrun for all in ET/CT. Still a full quarter to play in NY (Broncos-Jets) at 7 pm.
Old 11-30-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Start time = 8:41 ET.
Old 11-30-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I cant see the frat dorks overcoming the penalty.
Old 11-30-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Sucks to see those idiots advance while mom and son go home.

I would have done the Metro detour in a heartbeat.
Old 11-30-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by astrochimp
I cant see the frat dorks overcoming the penalty.
Don't look now.
Old 11-30-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suppose we're left with the best of a relatively poor bunch of competitors. This leg in particular was almost comically bad with the number of screw-ups.

It'll be a crime if anyone other than Nick and Starr end up winning.
Old 11-30-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe those 2 shitheads got second place. Looking on another prospective, If Tina didn't help Dallas, they most likely would have lost anyway.

I hope Nick and Starr or Tina and Ken win the million next week.
Old 11-30-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
I know I would be embarrassed to be caught on TV not knowing what Lenin and Stalin looked like. Probably a generational thing though b/c Dallas grew up in a Post Cold War world.

After the preview last week I figured it would be Toni and Dallas losing the stuff. Who knew the biggest mistake they would make on the race would be not having Toni (who would presumably know who Lenin and Stalin were) do a road block task.

As for next week...probably the weakest final 3 ever. Nick and Starr are a decent team, but the other two both finished last on a leg and have not really demonstrated the ability to win (I know Ken/Tina won early, but they haven't looked good in weeks). Who knows though. Going into the final leg in season 3 who could have predicted that Zach would win the Amazing Race with that walking/talking/crying ball and chain tied to his leg.
Old 11-30-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Don't look now.
Guess i was wrong.
Old 11-30-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bummer of an outcome. Dallas is a swell guy, just dumb as a box of rawks. In hindsight, it is easy to think that you'd never ever ever become detached from your passport, but that much rushing around from place to place must have some effect.

At this point, only Nick and Starr Spangler would make me happy.
Old 11-30-08, 11:47 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Yup, absolute heartbreaker for those 2 getting knocked out.

Losing the passport was bad, the whole stalin lenin thing worse.

Feel bad for them.

And I want nick and starr to win, but they have been winning everything so far, and getting the rockstar edit.
Old 12-01-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by mwbmis

As for next week...probably the weakest final 3 ever. Nick and Starr are a decent team, but the other two both finished last on a leg and have not really demonstrated the ability to win (I know Ken/Tina won early, but they haven't looked good in weeks). Who knows though. Going into the final leg in season 3 who could have predicted that Zach would win the Amazing Race with that walking/talking/crying ball and chain tied to his leg.
there have been many winning teams that have been saved by a non-elimination legs (actually a couple of teams were saved multiple times). Still, I do agree that the frat boys are probably one of the weakest teams to stumble into the finals.
Old 12-01-08, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Boy, that was a tremendous episode. The roadblock and detour were both excellent and the outcome was exactly what I had hoped for. I'm glad that no one in contention for the money is a complete moron.

My only disappointment came from the break Dan & Andrew seemed to get completing the speed bump. Maybe they edited it a bunch, but there's no way they were dancing well enough to finish that fast.
Old 12-01-08, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by the big train
Maybe they edited it a bunch, but there's no way they were dancing well enough to finish that fast.
Thinking the same thing. While not as classic as Dan's march (), that was still some goofy half-ass kalinka.

Glad to see Mom/Momma's Boy go - was tired of Dallas & Starr's 'budding romance' showcase. Even if he had the cash, did Toni and Dallas really think Dan was going to lend them a few bucks at this stage of the race?

I like the final 3, and would love for Ken and Tina to take the million...and most likely go their separate ways.
Old 12-01-08, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts
It seems to me like execution-wise, Nick and Starr are among the best we've ever seen on The Amazing Race. They really only get slowed down when they get things like bad taxis.

Is this the first Amazing Race where they've never visited Western Europe?
Old 12-01-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Ironically, I thought Dallas and mom wouldn't make it far because of mom...but she did awesome and if she had done the Stalin task, they'd have kept their passport, probably finished it fast and been in the final three.
Old 12-01-08, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Todd B.
It seems to me like execution-wise, Nick and Starr are among the best we've ever seen on The Amazing Race. They really only get slowed down when they get things like bad taxis.
True, but the race has also become easier IMO with less opportunities for mistakes. In the past, teams had to drive themselves everywhere, and many, many good teams were tripped up by navigation issues. This season, for whatever reason (probably insurance, but maybe other issues), the teams really haven't been driving themselves that much. Also, there haven't been too many issues where teams had to strategically plan flights (should they try for this connection or that connection). It seems like their choices were limited and there was always an obvious best flight (maybe that's not the case, but at least it's seemed that way).

Now, it's about who can read the clues properly and satisfactorily complete a series of menial tasks / puzzles. It's not so much a race around the world as much as it's a game of international "Double Dare" challenges.
Old 12-01-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very early on (Season 2 or 3), we heard it became a nightmare trying to produce the show when teams were several hours, if not a day, apart. I have to believe all of these changes were necessary to cut down on those issues because self-driving and flights are where all of the huge gaps occur.

Which reminds me, last night didn't have the time-stamp when the teams finished and started 12 hours later. It just said "1st to Depart". I wonder if the above had anything to do with that as well?
Old 12-01-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Which reminds me, last night didn't have the time-stamp when the teams finished and started 12 hours later. It just said "1st to Depart". I wonder if the above had anything to do with that as well?
We noticed that too. We wondered if they didn't want us to know how far behind Dandrew was, but then they seemed to catch up pretty quickly.
Old 12-01-08, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chew
Very early on (Season 2 or 3), we heard it became a nightmare trying to produce the show when teams were several hours, if not a day, apart. I have to believe all of these changes were necessary to cut down on those issues because self-driving and flights are where all of the huge gaps occur.

I assume this last pitstop was a 24 hour one, which is why they might not have mentioned anything. Of course, they could have bunched them if they wanted to, but that would really piss me off as Dallas/Mom if the producers took away a 2 hour lead over the frat boys only to later lose by roughly 2 hours or so (but I guess the producers can make whatever rules they want).

Honestly, I really don't care if it's a "pain" to produce the show with hour leads. I'm sure it would be easier to produce Survivor if they shot on location at Sandals Jamaica. You can manage huge leads with the "Opens at 8 am" sort of challenge locations or reducing leads at the pit stops. You could also implement some sort of rule where, if any team gets more than X hours behind, they're automatically eliminated. If something happens like a few seasons ago where multiple teams were stuck in an airport, boot both teams and add a non-elimination round.

To me, there are two major focuses that this game should address: 1) how can people get from Point A to Point B as fast as possible, and 2) how can people deal with the different cultures they encounter in the process. Finding and arranging flights, driving yourself, using public transportation (which I was happy to see them finally require) take care of focus #1, and the in-country cultural challenges take care of #2. The game has always been about a balance between those two things.

If they're going to get rid of focus #1, they might as well just fly international people into a sound studio in LA to conduct challenges and film everything from there. That could even be live.
Old 12-01-08, 11:30 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
They were bunched at the submarine, as you could see the 3 teams run into the sub at the same time, and the hours were 0900, so I'm sure that bunched up those 3 and delayed.
Old 12-01-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate when the weaker teams get to catch up because of things not being opened. I can see where they wanna make it a close race but sometimes its just not fair for those who worked hard for a good lead. Don't get me wrong I love the show and the best thing about this year has been Starr..... I'd like to take her around the world!
Old 12-01-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Rooting for Nick and Starr - I hate the other two teams and am surprised they made the finals.
Old 12-01-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike7162
Rooting for Nick and Starr - I hate the other two teams and am surprised they made the finals.
Same.If the frat dudes win they should just cancel the show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.