Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Boy Named Charlie Brown, they don't make em like they used to

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I.E i'm watching this on abc family, and probably haven't watched this in several years. I didn't realize that the movie was so educational (now that i recall, i kind of learned to spell, and the i before e except after c esspecially with this movie. Why can't they make movies like this anymore.

Also, theres alot of little jokes that i def didn't get or went over my head, like when Charlie is about to get on the bus to go to the spelling bee, 'why does this feel like i've been drafted' a small dig at the Vietnam war perhaps?

Last edited by Rypro 525; 11-29-08 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-29-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's one of my favorites. When I was younger, I had no clue how funny Charlie Brown's spelling words were: incompetent, disastrous, stomach-ache, failure, etc.

My wife pointed this out-- possibly the funniest scene is right after he misspells "beagle" and immediately screams and hangs his head. Lucy goes up to the T.V. (Charlie is onscreen, hanging his head) yells at him, and turns off the T.V. When the T.V. is turned back on, he's still onscreen, still hanging his head. Nobody cared that someone else actually won. The entire world was focused on poor Charlie Brown

One of the great lessons happens at the end. Charlie Brown is home, and depressed (Sally says he's been in bed all day, she shades are down, etc) when Linus pays him a visit. Linus leaves Charlie Brown's room with this, and it's a great message to kids when they're faced with humiliation and failure....

"Did you know something, Charlie Brown? The world didn't come to an end."

I put this on for my kids a few times a year. They're really into it (with the exception of Schroeder's acid trip).

Last edited by Dave7393; 11-29-08 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-29-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dave7393
I put this on for my kids a few times a year. They're really into it (with the exception of Schroeder's acid trip).
yeah that part is a bit wierd (that and snoopy's hockey game. Was Schroeder supposed to look like Beethoven?
Old 12-01-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I watched Snoopy Come Home this weekend. Good grief, it made me sad watching him say goodbye. Also very sad for me is when Snoopy & Woodstock are travelling and the song, "Me & You" is playing. My buddy John and I used to sing that a million years ago.
Old 12-01-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

is that movie (snoopy come home) really only 70 minutes? That means there were over 50 minutes of commercials, given that they ran it in a 2 hour slot. I wish Paramount (or warner, whoever owns the rights) would release the other 2 Peanuts features.
Old 12-01-08, 09:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I liked that part that had nothing to do with the actual plot of the story, the incidental brief musical number with Schroeder and Snoopy on the piano.