Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I'm going to close this for length. Anyone who wants to start a part 2, feel free.
Discussion continued from this thread

Last edited by auto; 11-28-08 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-28-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This movie is going to be (Great/Awesome/OK/Awful/The Worst Movie Ever). Abrams is (Revitalizing a dead franchise/Bringing a mainstream audience to Trek/Catering to the MTV Generation/Raping my childhood over and over again oh dear god make it stop please). All and all, I think we can all agree (We're a bunch of geeks/We're a bunch of geeks)
Old 11-28-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts
I like Star Trek--have watched it in every incarnation except DS9--but I'm not a nitpicker when it comes to continuity/canon. So I'm looking forward to this regardless of how it aligns with previous Trek. I have no problems with a reboot that steps outside the path that the series and previous films laid out. I think at this point that's the only way to do it.
Old 11-28-08, 08:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
This movie is going to be (Great/Awesome/OK/Awful/The Worst Movie Ever). Abrams is (Revitalizing a dead franchise/Bringing a mainstream audience to Trek/Catering to the MTV Generation/Raping my childhood over and over again oh dear god make it stop please). All and all, I think we can all agree (We're a bunch of geeks/We're a bunch of geeks)
Old 11-28-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
As long as there are tribbles I'm in ... did I really just type that?
Old 11-28-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is Abrams planning on doing sequels?
Old 11-28-08, 11:01 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Previews look good. Although I wouldn't have minded seeing another Next Generation movie
Old 11-29-08, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I wonder what color Lighstabers they'll use? Will they match the uniforms or be more in tune with the character's personality. I guess we'll know on opening day.
Old 11-29-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
Is Abrams planning on doing sequels?
The cast are all signed on for options for 2 sequels, which is pretty much standard in Hollywood these days. Abrams said he'll definitely consider it, but wants to see how the fans react first.
Old 11-29-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will people be going to watch a movie or just watch for continuity errors.
How fun can that be??
Old 11-29-08, 11:47 PM
Suspended

So basically, if I have major reservations, I shouldn't post in this thread, lest I get dogpiled by the "open-minded" ones, including the mod?

Is this the official DVD Talk position? I just want to know before I voice any complaints in gushing thread number two.
Old 11-29-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron G
So basically, if I have major reservations, I shouldn't post in this thread
Define "major reservations"...

Hint: If it contains the word "nacelles" it is not a major reservation. I assure you.
Old 11-29-08, 11:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Bus
Define "major reservations"...

Hint: If it contains the word "nacelles" it is not a major reservation. I assure you.
While I find the new version of the Enterprise ugly, this is not my major reservation. Anakin Kirk, however, bothers me.

At the same time, I grow tired of the attitude on this board that old Trek fans should just shut up. If someone doesn't like the nacelles on the new Enterprise, they should be allowed to voice their opinion without ridicule.

Like I said, perhaps this needs to be split into two threads, so that those who are oh-so-offended by Star Trek fans needn't read our complaints.
Old 11-30-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I find the new version of the Enterprise ugly, this is not my major reservation. Anakin Kirk, however, bothers me.

At the same time, I grow tired of the attitude on this board that old Trek fans should just shut up. If someone doesn't like the nacelles on the new Enterprise, they should be allowed to voice their opinion without ridicule.

Like I said, perhaps this needs to be split into two threads, so that those who are oh-so-offended by Star Trek fans needn't read our complaints.
And so it continues.
Old 11-30-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If someone doesn't like the nacelles on the new Enterprise, they should be allowed to voice their opinion without ridicule.
I'm sorry, the nacelles thing is so myopic as to border on pedantry. I can understand (and sometimes appreciate) excessive attention to detail in films, but most of this obsessive hunt for accuracy should be reserved for historical pictures and never at the expense of story.

Considering Star Trek, by the admission of its own fans, hasn't had an exciting twitch on its flogged dead horse of a storyline in close to a decade, I think there are bigger overall concerns than the placement of the nacelles.

It doesn't help that Star Trek's fanbase is almost unique in its devotion to the property. Out of a hundred fans, two or three can raise a stupid argument about the nacelles or the omission of the Starfleet Silver Palm (with cluster!) from his dress uniform. This will happen with any sci-fi, comic book, or fantasy movie (or video game!) based on an existing franchise with a long history and plenty of fans. Society has every right to make fun of these extreme statistical outliers.

What makes me laugh is that you see this making fun of Star Trek fans as a new emerging fad or novelty, rather than as the natural order of things for the past several decades.
Old 11-30-08, 12:24 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Spoiler:
Old 11-30-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Well for me I'm still really annoyed that just didn't make that damn trek book into a movie. The one where the borg bring Kirk back as a romulan plot blah blah blah. That would've been so insanely bad ass I would've had tears in my eyes.

Do I have high hopes for the new one, no. Will I watch it and give it a chance , yes. After next gen pulled it off I'm willing to give anything that's new trek at least a chance.
Old 11-30-08, 12:40 AM
Suspended

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that it was necessary to jettison everything I loved about Star Trek in order to post on this board.

Please, do tell me what it is I am supposed to think about this trailer and the other info regarding the new film, so that I might be socially acceptable to the denizens of DVD Talk.
Old 11-30-08, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that it was necessary to jettison everything I loved about Star Trek in order to post on this board.

Please, do tell me what it is I am supposed to think about this trailer and the other info regarding the new film, so that I might be socially acceptable to the denizens of DVD Talk.
No one is telling you to jettison anything but this is a reboot of sorts and you can't let little things bother you.
Old 12-01-08, 06:01 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
OK, I deleted the posts that were part of the deraillment of this thread.

MaxMFP, expect administrative action.
Old 12-01-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by hdtv00
Well for me I'm still really annoyed that just didn't make that damn trek book into a movie. The one where the borg bring Kirk back as a romulan plot blah blah blah. That would've been so insanely bad ass I would've had tears in my eyes.
I can sum up the problem with that in four words:

Written by William Shatner

Spoiler:
Okay, he didn't REALLY write it (it was ghost written), but it's his story idea, and I think Paramount doesn't want Shatner involved - at least as anything but an actor - in the franchise anymore
Old 12-01-08, 04:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by riley_dude
No one is telling you to jettison anything but this is a reboot of sorts and you can't let little things bother you.
I'm not bothered by the little things, as I keep trying--in vain--to point out. I'm worried about the big things that have been changed.

But I also respect that some people are worried about the little things, and I think that their opinions shouldn't be ridiculed over and over.
Old 12-01-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Having not seen the movie, how do you know what things have been changed exactly?
Old 12-01-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

If you're gonna piss on it, I'd rather see you do it after a viewing of the film. I don't get the necessity to spew hatred and express how much of a loyalist to TOS you are based on a few clips and online banter about the plot of Abram's film. If you don't/won't see it, I don't see why you need bother to make mention at all about anything involving it.
Old 12-01-08, 05:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by devilshalo
If you're gonna piss on it, I'd rather see you do it after a viewing of the film. I don't get the necessity to spew hatred and express how much of a loyalist to TOS you are based on a few clips and online banter about the plot of Abram's film. If you don't/won't see it, I don't see why you need bother to make mention at all about anything involving it.
The very same could be said of those who are gushing over it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.