Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
EGM is near death.

EGM is almost down for the count.
Old 11-24-08, 03:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Makes sense. What's the point of reading reviews of games that have been out for a while when I can read all kinds of reviews and get input from other gamers the day a game is released on the Internet?
Old 11-24-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sucks. Many around here are/were not fans. I've always preferred EGM to Gamepro.
Old 11-24-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the game magazines. It makes for good bathroom readin'.

I hate to see EGM go.
Old 11-24-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
I liked EGM too... not enough to pay full price for it, but for cheaper/free subs. That's probably part of the problem, as advertising is not fully supporting the mag anymore... odd, since you'd think videogame advertising would be fine.

It's my favorite multiplatform magazine too...
Old 11-24-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Terrible news. I still like EGM and have free subscriptions for like a decade more. Hope this is somehow wrong and the magazine continues.
Old 11-24-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, this was on the Ziff Davis website and they are the ones that run the mag. If you guys recall, EGM has had arguments with different game companies that caused them to pull their ad sales when they didn't give favorable reviews to their games. Ubisoft was one , but I think there were others.
Old 11-24-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's something wrong in the world if EGM dies and Gamepro still lives on.
Old 11-24-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I like having EGM around to read, even with it not always being up to date. There's something nice about print versions sometimes.
Old 11-24-08, 04:56 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I liked it enough that when my free subscription expired, I payed the $1 per issue (or whatever it was) for the subscription.
Old 11-24-08, 05:18 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I've been buying EGM off and on since issue #6 back around early 1989 with a preview of the upcoming Sega Genesis console. Over the years, I remember the issues close to the holidays would number around 300 pages.

I actually boycotted EGM for a couple years around 1993-1995 when they didn't cover the 3DO console at all (I owned, and still own, every console, and the 3DO was lightyears better than the competition Genesis and SNES), and no previews of 3DO titles like Road Rash or Need for Speed, etc, when the other mags were covering them. I never seen such obvious bias in a magazine before like this, they would only mock the 3DO as a system with Fatty Bear games and such.
Old 11-24-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PerryD
I've been buying EGM off and on since issue #6 back around early 1989 with a preview of the upcoming Sega Genesis console. Over the years, I remember the issues close to the holidays would number around 300 pages.
That's around the same time I picked up my first EGM issue. I think I started with #3 or #4. Didn't subscribe until 1991 and was a subscriber all the way up until this year. I didn't care for how the magazine changed when guys like Steve Harris and Ed Semrad left during the mid-to late 90's. EGM's best years were gone. I stuck with it mainly because it was the first console gaming mag that I read and even though things haven't gotten better over time, it's still better than most gaming mags out there.

I remember those holiday issues, in fact I still have all of them. Once November and December hit you could expect a monster 300+ page issue. I loved it.
Old 11-24-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I actually boycotted EGM for a couple years around 1993-1995 when they didn't cover the 3DO console at all (I owned, and still own, every console, and the 3DO was lightyears better than the competition Genesis and SNES), and no previews of 3DO titles like Road Rash or Need for Speed, etc, when the other mags were covering them. I never seen such obvious bias in a magazine before like this, they would only mock the 3DO as a system with Fatty Bear games and such.
I have never heard this opinion before (the 3DO being lightyears better than the Genesis and SNES), though I never owned the 3DO. Care to elaborate?
Old 11-24-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves
There's something wrong in the world if EGM dies and Gamepro still lives on.
This is horrible news. I've been reading every issue of EGM since their monster size issues from the mid 90's. In fact i've kept every issue of 'em. You could say I grew up reading EGM, and i've used their information countless times over the years.

The fact that Gamepro, a magazine not even worthy of toilet paper in my opinion, is still alive while EGM has a foot in the grave makes me sad.

I'm a huge fan, but let's face it, compared to Game Informer or Official XBOX Magazine, EGM's content is very lacking. The magazine is almost paper thin at this point, and they hardly run any previews or in-depth stories. If I didn't get GI and OXM in the mail as well, EGM would not cut it as my #1 print source of gaming information.

I just hope that 1UP.com and the staff live on, because their popcasts are great and packed with discussion and news.
Old 11-24-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who can forget the infamous Sheng Long, RIP EGM.
Old 11-24-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Hope this doesn't happen....I've been a fan for a while.
Old 11-24-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rip egm
Old 11-24-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Setzer
I remember those holiday issues, in fact I still have all of them. Once November and December hit you could expect a monster 300+ page issue. I loved it.
I still have a couple here myself...I have the 50th issue with Road Rash 2 on a fold out cover...still have the one that announced SF2:SCE for the Genesis...

But I have to be honest...gaming mags died for me when Game Players and Gamefan/Gamer's Republic bit the dust. EGM really hasn't been the same for the past 7 years...

I used to love Ultra Game Players, as they had the sickest sense of humor ever, and would hide messages in fine print, on the binding, bottom of pages, etc, and it was funny as hell...
Old 11-24-08, 07:57 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I have never heard this opinion before (the 3DO being lightyears better than the Genesis and SNES), though I never owned the 3DO. Care to elaborate?
The 3DO did decent 3D, had detailed texture mapping capability and, of course, was CD-ROM based, so it had cool CG cinemas. The system was much more powerful that the 16-bit systems from Nintendo and Sega that it was competing against.

The console was created by EA CEO Trip Hawkins and had full support of EA back then, hence the AAA titles like the original Need for Speed. The main drawback was the 1993 launch price of $699 for the system, although I bought my system the following spring 1994 when it dropped to $500. I have found memories of titles like Total Eclipse, Return Fire, Shockwave, Twisted, among others.

Once the Saturn and PS3 came out in 1995, the system could not compete, and died off quickly.
Old 11-24-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The 3DO did decent 3D, had detailed texture mapping capability and, of course, was CD-ROM based, so it had cool CG cinemas. The system was much more powerful that the 16-bit systems from Nintendo and Sega that it was competing against.

The console was created by EA CEO Trip Hawkins and had full support of EA back then, hence the AAA titles like the original Need for Speed. The main drawback was the 1993 launch price of $699 for the system, although I bought my system the following spring 1994 when it dropped to $500. I have found memories of titles like Total Eclipse, Return Fire, Shockwave, Twisted, among others.

Once the Saturn and PS3 came out in 1995, the system could not compete, and died off quickly.
I'm as big of a 3DO fan as there is. I still have a 200+ game library including a ton of imports, but no way was it on par with the Genesis and SNES. It had a gem here and there. Star Control II, Return Fire, Lucine's Quest and so on, but nothing on par with the titles the SNES and Genesis were putting out. It actually did very poor 3D and was glutted with bad FMV games and tons of PC ports. EGM ignored it probably because it didn't sell. The install base for the console was so tiny they didn't fell the need to give it any space in the mag. If they had made space for the CD-i, Laseractive and other failures they would have had to take that space away from all the good games coming on the 16bit systems.

As far as the mag this is the fate most niche mags will face. With the internet there is little need for magazines like EGM. I listen to 1UP every week and still have a subscription to EGM, but I'm not shocked to see this happen. Ziff Davis has been in financial trouble for a long time.
Old 11-24-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Long live GamePro and their animated guy ratings!
Old 11-24-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm very sad to see this happen as well. I've been a longtime subscriber and look forward to listening to the 1Up Yours podcast every single week (Weekend confirmed!).
Old 11-24-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The 3DO kicked ass. The problem was the lack of good software for the money. The Jaguar came out around the same time period and had the same problem. (Well the shitty controller didn't help matters.) It's funny because I still have the 3DO demo disc with the Heart of Ice episode from Batman: TAS, which:

A.) Got me hooked on Batman: TAS!
B.) Made me realize the future would be games and movies on discs of some sort.
Old 11-24-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I like having EGM around to read, even with it not always being up to date. There's something nice about print versions sometimes.
Agreed. I hate digital subscriptions. Just too cumbersome. This is not good news at all. I really like reading these print gaming magazines. I think EGM has the best reviews too, for the most part anyways. I hated it at first but then I really started to like the letter grade system.
Old 11-24-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Fandango
Who can forget the infamous Sheng Long, RIP EGM.
Don't forget Lara Croft nude trick. Damn you EGM!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.