Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

3-Disc Special Editions -- Rip off or Bonus Feature?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: How do you feel about "Digital Copies" as a bonus?
It is a bonus feature, but should not be considered as an additional "bonus disc."
23.19%
It's OK to use an additional disc and count it.
3.62%
Should not even be considered a bonus feature!
71.01%
I like pie.
18.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts

In my opinion it is a disturbing trend ... "3 DISC SPECIAL EDITION" blares across the cover of the the latest "must have" DVD ... only to find out it is only a 2 disc release with a digital copy of the film. It reminds me of the days when "16X9" and "animated menus" were considered special features.

I actually have not bought the Hulk and Wall-E (2 movies I had every intention of buying) just out of my shear contempt for this practice. Awhile back Walmart touted their EXCLUSIVE 2 disc version of Resident Evil: Apocolypse -- when I found out that disc 2 contained NO bonus features, I waited and bought it used from my local video store. I know this will not be an option with Hulk and Wall-E, not if I want the two disc editions ... I am torn.

So what are your feelings on "Digital Copies" as a special feature?
Old 11-21-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a few that I have never given a thought to using and I definitely don't like paying extra for it
Old 11-21-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had to fork out $29.99 for the 3-disk Wall-E with one of these damn things. Useless!

Making digital copies isn't a bad idea in itself. Heck, I'm starting to run low on shelf space at home so the idea of storing some of my collection on a HDD is kind of appealing. I just hate having it forced on me. Why not just sell it as an alternative to a single disk release (i.e. let buyers choose between a digital, or standard dvd version) and let the rest of us have our regular two-disk SE?

I made the best of it in this case though. I'm giving my digital copy to a friend so now he won't have to bother buying it. Win for him, sucks for Disney.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 11-22-08 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-21-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Agreed. As a forced inclusion, it's a ripoff. I would be interested in knowing how many times the digital copy is actually used by the original purchaser. (Phil makes an interesting point--they could potentially be losing sales, in addition to those who won't pay 23 bucks for it, by people giving away the digital copy--which I don't see anything wrong with.) I'm not that attached to any movie, that I just *have* to have a digital copy on my ipod or laptop or what have you.
I prefer even single disk/double disk with bonus, I would/might pay more for that (depends on the features and the price), but I would find myself hard pressed to buy the three disk.
Old 11-22-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really dislike the digitial copy sets. I'm sure there's people out there that like them, but it's a waste for me and it seems like a way to jack the price up.
Best Buy had the 3-disc Wall-E DVD for $29.99. If there was a 2 disc version with no digital copy, it would probably go for $19.99. So I'm paying an extra $10 for that?

Does the expiration date on the activation code mean the digital copy won't work if the code expires? That seems like an even bigger waste.
Old 11-22-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long as they offer a two disc version without Digital Copy, they can do whatever they want imho.
Old 11-22-08, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i voted for:

Should not even be considered a bonus feature!
&
I like pie.

mmmmmm pie w/ a bonus feature of ice cream!
Old 11-22-08, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the logic of it: DVDs need to keep up with the impending next-gen attack, so they have this new "3rd disc" thing going on. It would be weird for them to have it and not tout it on the case, but other than that, I completely agree.

On first glace, 3 discs makes it look like one disc for the movie and two for the features, which is hugely disappointing. Here's my opinion: it's a stupid bonus. We buy movies to watch them at home or on a portable dvd player. Charging extra for an extra copy of the same movie is just stupid. I've only bought two movies with the digital copies (I Am Legend, Incredible Hulk), and haven't used either.
Old 11-22-08, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what i hate more then that is when the one disc version is bare with no bonus features at all, and the 2 disc version turns out to be disc 1 with the movie and several bonus features and disc 2 is the digital copy. Pisses me off to no end. As i do enjoy the bonus stuff.
Old 11-22-08, 05:39 AM

i agree with most all

digital copies set up to be a "3rd Bonus Disc" is complete BS

unfortunately i own 2 .... Rambo and American Gangster .... i bought Rambo for the special features when i looked at the single disc i said "wow 13.99 for a brand new movie ? im all for it" but then i find that its bare bones ... very dissapointing... as for the american gangster set the 3rd "bonus" disc had a few special features and it was on sale so thats why i bought it.

and i also agree that with Blu Ray in the picture DVD has to keep up but with the digital copy solution i take that as just lazy thinking... i think digital copies of movies should be left to itunes, amazon, netflix and the online market .

i wanted The Hulk and Sarah Marshall but with most of the better features in that horrible 3 disc set ... ill just rent em, rip em, and burn em.....
Old 11-22-08, 06:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts
Originally Posted by lovgun7
.. ill just rent em, rip em, and burn em.....
FYI, Not legal. And not allowed on this forum.
Old 11-22-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
FYI, Not legal. And not allowed on this forum.
So does that mean it's not allowed to mention that there are a number of programs available so that you can rip DVDs that you buy that you DO own?

A "digital edition" is ridiculous, and it could work much better if there was a code or a link to a DRM-protected bittorrent for folks to download. That would save both space on shelves and on production of excess discs.

Either way, I agree that it's a rip-off and a waste to charge folks for two copies of the same film, esp. when it wasn't too long ago that you could get a 2 disc (no one disc available) for 14.99.
Old 11-22-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As long as the 3rd disc is a standard disc, like the Blu-ray of Sleeping Beauty, I'm fine with it. Otherwise I don't buy it and just get the digital copyless version.
Old 11-22-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hate the trend of releasing single disk and multi disc sets with a $10 price difference between them, makes me think of the early days of DVD when the did this junk, now the are pushing these unwanted Digital Copies down our throats. I rarely buy anything new anymore, 99% of my purchases are used so I rarely get the multi-disc sets unless I find them at a pawn shop or something.
Old 11-22-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Digital copies are nothing more than an excuse to jack up the price of an SE. It burns my ass that I get gouged every time but if it's between a barebones disc and the extra features of an SE adding on a "bonus disc" with nothing more than a useless to me digital copy works because I hate barebones single disc releases.
Old 11-22-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Rip off. I'm an adult, and I don't watch movies on a computer.
Old 11-22-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't mind them per say, but I think the jacking up of the price is ridiculous, seeing as how they can EASILY be contained on the exact same disc as the regular movie. Case in point: Sex and the City: The Movie released at Target. Had the Digital Copy on the first disc with the movie, but everywhere else sold it as two separate discs. I don't know why they do it on an extra disc, seems like a waste of money.

Also, what pisses me off is that they won't work on my Zune, so the few times I have added them to my computer, I can't put them on my Portable Media Player because apparently it is incompatible, although I consistently rip them in the Windows Media Player format. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Also, I don't make a habit of watching movies on my computer. That's why I have a DVD Player and a Television Set.
Old 11-22-08, 04:59 PM
Cool New Member

I like Digital Copies but they still shouldn't entice people to buy a certain edition of the movie just because of a supposed extra disc when really it is just a copy of the movie to store on your computer or MP3 player.
Old 11-22-08, 07:56 PM
Suspended

DVD-rom drives come standard in computers now. we don't need digital copies to put on our laptops. maybe 10 years ago, but not now. Also, who is going to regularly watch a feature length movie on their ipod? i can't even get through a 30 minute podcast on an ipod touch
Old 11-22-08, 08:34 PM

A cheap marketing ploy by any means. Why the hell should I watch a movie on my ipod or computer?
Old 11-22-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Rip off...But I buy them anyway I just consider them as 2 disc sets
Old 11-22-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reubs82
So does that mean it's not allowed to mention that there are a number of programs available so that you can rip DVDs that you buy that you DO own?
The rules are pretty clear: Discussing programs to circumvent digital copy protection is forbidden here, regardless of whether you own the DVD or not.
Old 11-22-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other threads on this well-worn topic:

Digital Copies

Digital Copies..Why?

Disney now charging a premium for Digital Copies - How do you feel about it?
Old 11-22-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,786 Likes on 1,203 Posts
I liked that the new Clone Wars 2-disc SE had all the extras on disc two and a download code for the digital copy. Not sure if the price was higher due to inclusion of the code, but seems download codes are a far better route than an extra disc just for a 'digital copy.'

Tweens watching on their PS3s is one target, but having a few movies on your hard-drive for a flight instead of toting around a bunch of discs is probably another target use.

Is it a bonus feature? Nope, but not wholly useless ...
Old 11-22-08, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well for Hellboy II, being a 3-Disc Special Edition, I got it for $17.99, thank you Amazon. And it's a damn fine set, regardless of the digital copy of HBII. If they were to price it and NAME it as just a special edition or 2-Disc Special Edition having the copy as just an extra worth not naming I'd be better off. 3-Disc or 2-Disc special edition only to realize it's actually MORE content on disc 1 with a 2 disc for the copy. If it came along with the DVD and priced adequately, plus the loss of the illusion that this extra disc adds more features, I wouldn't mind the copy. Sorry..just venting...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.