Back to the Future Special Edition ---> 2/10/09

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-21-08, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From bttf.com:

Lightning's about to strike again! Universal Studios Home Entertainment announced today that they will be re-releasing the Back to the Future Trilogy on DVD this February as individually released editions. All three films will feature special foil packaging. The classic original film will be a two-disc special edition collection which also contains Back to the Future...The Ride, the infamous Leslie Nielsen special preview of Back to the Future Part II and the long-awaited documentary Looking Back to the Future!

Back to the Future Part II and Back to the Future Part III will also be released as single-disc editions, which will be basically the same discs contained inside the 2002 Boxed Set (yes, with the "V2" correct framing!).

Here's a complete features listing for all three DVDs, which street on February 10, 2009:

Back to the Future
Disc 1:
The Making of Back to the Future
Making the Trilogy: Chapter One
Q&A with Director Robert Zemeckis and Producer Bob Gale
Enhanced Conversation with Michael J. Fox
Feature Commentary with Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton
Deleted Scenes
Outtakes
Did You Know That? Universal Animated Anecdotes
Original Makeup Tests
Production Archives
Excerpts from the Original Screenplay
Theatrical Teaser Trailer
Cast & Filmmakers
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Features Including Total Axess
Recommendations
Special Announcements

Disc 2:
Back to the Future...The Ride
• Lobby Monitor
• The Ride
Looking Back to the Future
• The Script
• Casting Marty McFly
• Christopher Lloyd Reflects on Doc Brown
• The DeLorean as the Time Machine
• Building Hill Valley
• Prepping for the “Johnny B. Goode” Scene
• The Score
• Rushing the Cut
• The Legacy
Back to the Future Night
Michael J. Fox Q&A

Back to the Future Part II
The Making of Back to the Future Part II
Making the Trilogy: Chapter Two
Deleted Scenes
Outtakes
Production Design
Storyboarding
Designing the DeLorean
Designing Time Travel
Hoverboard Test
Evolution of Visual Effects Shots
Production Archives
Huey Lewis & The News "Power of Love" Music Video
Theatrical Trailer
Cast & Filmmakers
Production Notes
Recommendations

Back to the Future Part III
The Making of Back to the Future Part III
Making the Trilogy: Chapter Three
Deleted Scene
Outtakes
Designing the Town of Hill Valley
Designing the Campaign
Production Archives
The Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy
FAQ's About the Trilogy
ZZ Top "Doubleback" Music Video
Theatrical Trailer
Cast & Filmmakers
Production Notes
Recommendations

Back to the Future...The Ride
"Experience the complete Universal Studios theme park attraction including lobby monitor and pre-show footage." Presented in its entirety, including the "Lobby Monitor" and a combination of the "Pre-Show" and The Ride itself, an accurate representation of the signature theme park attraction is being released officially for the very first time. Featuring an on-screen dashboard of the 8-passenger DeLorean as it travels through time, The Ride is complete with accurate time circuit displays and the onboard monitor in which Doc and Biff communicate with the Institute of Future Technology's time travel volunteers. We think you'll love this true continuation of the trilogy being made available for the very first time - I sure do. I personally have been waiting for The Ride to be released on home video ever since I first experienced the attraction in January 1992! Since The Ride is included as a bonus feature itself, unfortunately there are no other bonus features for The Ride in this particular release. Hopefully we'll see behind the scenes and making-of featurettes for this attraction whenever Blu-ray arrives.

Looking Back to the Future
"Explore the legacy of Back to the Future in this 9-part retrospective documentary" Longtime followers of this website and attendees of the 2006 DeLorean Car Show in Chicago know that BTTF.com was involved in the production of an independent documentary entitled Looking Back at the Future. Looking Back to the Future is the long-awaited, newly re-edited and renamed version of that documentary, which Universal has decided to include in the 2-Disc Back to the Future Special Edition DVD. It has been completely recut and edited to incorporate content just from only the first film, including both new material and old. We're hopeful that whenever these films are released on Blu-ray down the line, that a second and third chapter to Looking Back to the Future will be added to incorporate all the wonderful interviews conducted about the sequels.

Back to the Future Night
"Go on the set of Back to the Future and Back to the Future Part II in this rare TV special." Another classic being released officially for the very first time is the highly sought-after release of the special preview for Back to the Future Part II which aired November 17, 1989 on NBC prior to a Friday night screening of Back to the Future and was hosted by comedian Leslie Nielsen. It was in this special which Robert Zemeckis (with tongue firmly in cheek) first stated that the hoverboards were real, setting off a frenzy of fans searching in a futile effort for the mystical flying boards and flooding Mattel's headquarters with phone calls & letters.

Michael J. Fox Q&A
This is the very same content as the "Enhanced Conversation with Michael J. Fox" found on Disc 1 (and was included in the 2002 Boxed Set), but here is presented as one continuous sequence and seems to be much more enjoyable.

All three discs have a SRP of $19.98 and arrive in stores starting February 10, 2009. You can also pre-order them from BTTF.com by visiting our Time Travel Terminal:
http://www.bttf.com/forums/blogs/tim...-february.html

No Blu-Ray announcement yet. Damn!
Old 11-21-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No Blu-Ray, no sale.

Hey, someone had to do it. I already have the boxset so these are mostly useless. The only one I'd consider would be the original if it's available dirt cheap (under $5), and that's just for new features since this is one of my favorite movies ever.
Old 11-21-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's pretty lame that they don't have new features for the other parts or at least a new box set. I'm keeping my old set.
Old 11-21-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I'll definitely re-purchase Part I once it drops down to the $5 range in a couple of years. Having the Ride on DVD is pretty neat.
Old 11-21-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is disk 1 of the original movie the same as the disk in the current set?
Old 11-21-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Looking Back at the Future is what I've been waiting for and I'll totally get these. If I hear Blu rumblings first I'll wait but woo-hoo!

Plus, these are like three of my favorite poster artworks of all time. The old set is cool, but the added-in Doc on the cover looks kind of terrible.

EDIT: Well, maybe I'll only grab the first set. I didn't realize they'd chopped out the sequel-relevant parts of Looking Back at the Future.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 11-21-08 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-21-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Studios are going to have to realize that if there's a market to re-release the films individually, then there's probably a market for more features on the sequels, as well. They should take a cue from the "ultimate Superman collection."
Old 11-21-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
How long is the "Looking Back to the Future" documentary? It says 9 parts, but how long?
Old 11-21-08, 04:14 PM
Banned

This is only done for shelf space. Back to the Future is one of the biggest franchises for Universal and the last released it in 2002. Since then, how many times have you seen a store like Wal-Mart have the boxset in-stock? This is like a Malibu Stacy with new Hat.

I'll wait for the blu-ray releases. The transfers in HD look pretty good.
Old 11-21-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Love the cover art, would prefer this on Blu-ray. At least they're available separately; I'd personally just like the first two.
Old 11-21-08, 04:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To head off the inevitabe question, NO it will NOT contain any of the scenes/footage shot with Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly before he was fired. Apparently there are legal issues and Stoltz won't budge. (Can't say I blame the guy - they fired him, why should he cooperate and help them?)
Old 11-21-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
This is only done for shelf space. Back to the Future is one of the biggest franchises for Universal and the last released it in 2002. Since then, how many times have you seen a store like Wal-Mart have the boxset in-stock? This is like a Malibu Stacy with new Hat.

I'll wait for the blu-ray releases. The transfers in HD look pretty good.
Actually, I see the box set all the time.

However, I agree with most in this thread... unless Part 1 is extremely cheap, I'll wait for Blu-ray.
Old 11-21-08, 05:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
are all these features on the current R2 4-disc edition?
Old 11-21-08, 05:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
No Blu-ray? Way to go, Universal.
Old 11-21-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I already have the box set. As tempting as the 2nd disc for the first movie is, I'll hold off for the eventual Blu-Ray.
Old 11-21-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 494 Likes on 250 Posts
How much plutonium do I need to put in my Delorean to go to the Blu-ray release date?
Old 11-21-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I might pick up the first movie again for the new features, but no Blu? What a downer...
Old 11-21-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
No framing issues = no sale!
Old 11-21-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've actually held off buying the trilogy for years now; everytime I go to the store I almost bite and get it. Sadly, this release might make me get it because I imagine the trilogy set will go OOP once these hit the stores. That being said, I'll probably buy these as well. I'm a fan of individual releases opposed to slimpacks sometimes for movies that I really like

Kudos to them for including the Universal Ride on here as well. That was my favourite theme park ride as a kid; I remember going one time and riding it like ten times in one day. I was sad to see it be replaced by The Simpsons (even though I am a huge fan of the show and look forward to riding that as well). It'll be nice to "relive" it on DVD.
Old 11-21-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
Kudos to them for including the Universal Ride on here as well. That was my favourite theme park ride as a kid; I remember going one time and riding it like ten times in one day. I was sad to see it be replaced by The Simpsons (even though I am a huge fan of the show and look forward to riding that as well). It'll be nice to "relive" it on DVD.
That's one of the things that makes me want the new disc too. When I was young I took a trip to Disney and Universal and the Back to the Future ride was my favorite part of the entire trip. I loved that ride.
Old 11-21-08, 09:25 PM

Dumb Release = No Blu Ray at this late date = No Sale
Old 11-21-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There has to be a blu-ray. I don't know how these major studios can double dip on catalogue releases and not release them on Blu-ray.
Old 11-21-08, 10:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
is the Back to the Future ride featurette on the R2?
Old 11-21-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gotta get it. Even if it's just for Looking Back at the Future - it's supposed to be an excellent documentary.

Still shocked there's no Blu-ray.. the HD masters were struck a few years ago by Bob Gale himself.
Old 11-22-08, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Who knows maybe it will be on Blu-Ray just because they haven't announced it yet, doesn't mean they won't do it.

But I have a feeling it won't be on Blu-Ray.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.