Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Im after a HD-PVR.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Im after a HD-PVR.

Old 11-20-08, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im after a HD-PVR.

I want it to be able to view and record HD channels as well as view (and record if possible) SD channels. Soon we're getting a 24 hour sports channel in Australia which is only going to be broadcast in HD so a SD PVR is useless to me. My Plasma is a SDTV or a EDTV one of the two, i have an LG HD STB connected to it that i can watch HD and SD tv but im quite disappointed because had i known about PVR's 3 years ago i would've bought one instead of a STB.

Im looking at spending about $600 AUD (Im from Australia as you might have gathered), which comes to $380 USD if the price converted to US currency helps.

Any suggestions?

PS: Sorry if this topic doesnt belong in this section, please move it if it doesnt.

Last edited by JHBulls; 11-20-08 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-20-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Do TiVos work in Australia?
Old 11-20-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Looks like they certainly do, and you can even order a pizza with a TiVo in Australia!

http://www.streem.com.au/technology/...zza-dvd-orders
Old 11-20-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TivoHD, man. TivoHD.
Old 11-20-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a television service provider: Have you checked with them to see if they have an HD-PVR?

If you don't have a provider: TiVo. It looks to be over the budget amount though: http://home.tivo.com.au/
Old 11-20-08, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
If you have a television service provider: Have you checked with them to see if they have an HD-PVR?

If you don't have a provider: TiVo. It looks to be over the budget amount though: http://home.tivo.com.au/

I havent checked but thats an option. Tivo sounds like it could be good but the thing is you need it connected to the Internet not just the Plasma? If so i dont think i would want to tinker with anything like that whereas a standalone HD-PVR just connects straight to your TV.
Old 12-14-08, 03:07 AM

Hi guys sorry about bumping this thread but just so i dont begin a new topic i'll ask here.

If i choose not to hook my PVR upto the Internet, do i still get warned about when to download those software updates on the pvr screen? Do i just need to transfer the update from the net to a USB and onto the usb connection on the pvr? Also say you are asked to update but you're watching or recording something you dont need to update right at that minute, right?

Im guessing this is like a PS3 where not all the updates are necessary? I sometimes miss 2 or 3 updates at a time and only update when i want to play online games on my ps3 so i might do the same here.

Im buying my pvr this week and this is the one im getting. http://www.cnet.com.au/dvdpvr/pvr/0,...m?feed=pt_7100

Its $696 now so i might try and get it for $640 or $696 with a 5 year warranty. I know i said $600 in the opening post but thats impossible for the model i want.
Old 12-14-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
A PVR (aka DVR) is typically hooked to the Internet to get the TV program guide information. So one not hooked up will not have the information to know which shows are on to record.

Old 12-14-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Really? My PVR (SA8300) gets all that info from the actual cable coming into the house...no separate internet connection is needed with mine.
Old 12-14-08, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
^Really? My PVR (SA8300) gets all that info from the actual cable coming into the house...no separate internet connection is needed with mine.
Thats what im thinking too that PVR's would have their own episode guides. So since you dont have yours connected to the net how do you download the software upgrades? Does an PVR warn you about them beforehand?
Old 01-04-09, 02:00 AM

Hi again guys sorry for bumping the thread again but atleast i didnt bother with a new topic. So i bought my PVR last month and the picture is fantastic (Connected through Component, HDMI has now become my PS3) even on my SDTV. I bought the one i've got linked in my post above and i got it for $705+an extra 4 year warranty on top of the year its already got.

My next purchase soon will be a HDTV, maybe in 2-3 months. If i buy an LCD say and it comes with a built-in tuner, does that at all conflict with my PVR or is there an option to disable the built in tuner? How does it work?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-09, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by JHBulls
Hi again guys sorry for bumping the thread again but atleast i didnt bother with a new topic. So i bought my PVR last month and the picture is fantastic (Connected through Component, HDMI has now become my PS3) even on my SDTV. I bought the one i've got linked in my post above and i got it for $705+an extra 4 year warranty on top of the year its already got.

My next purchase soon will be a HDTV, maybe in 2-3 months. If i buy an LCD say and it comes with a built-in tuner, does that at all conflict with my PVR or is there an option to disable the built in tuner? How does it work?

Thanks.
Shouldn't conflict with the PVR is the PVR has a built in tuner. You'd treat the PVR just like a DVD player in that case.
Old 01-04-09, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Shouldn't conflict with the PVR is the PVR has a built in tuner. You'd treat the PVR just like a DVD player in that case.
I know some PVR's come with a dvd player built-in but mine doesnt its just a standalone pvr that records shows etc.

My current Plasma, i needed a set top box as it didnt have one built-in and now i dont have that stb as im using my PVR. It just confusers me that if i buy an LCD with a Built-in tuner, can i still use my PVR. Im guess there shouldnt be a problem as im sure many people have a PVR with a Plasma/LCD that has a built-in tuner with it.

Thanks for the reply.