Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you like the new 360 dashboard or not?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Initial impression
56.78%
16.95%
26.27%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say my initial impression was Before it was fairly simple/nicely laid out and easy to find things. W/ the multiple menu directions and all sorts of new options it was easy to get lost. It took me awhile to figure out how to logout and I'm still not sure how to change themes. I guess once I play around w/ it a bit more the new one will be ok too, the fact it has a specific page of downloads associated w/ whatever game you currently have in the system is nice. I have to say though one major negative IMHO is the whole choose an avatar thing. First the fact it's mandatory is and if they are going to do such a thing they should add in non human shapes/avatars as well, I mean it's not like it really matters right?

Speaking of things that don't matter, what is the whole deal w/ the gamer points anyway? I know this has probably been discussed before, but I use my PS3 more than the 360 and I just setup a live account a couple of weeks ago so I haven't done much w/ it (the gold account is in the mail since it seems you can't really do much w/ the silver). So can you trade these things in for credits or something, or is it just something to show off?

Last edited by nemein; 11-19-08 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
So far its been okay. I just started it up and installed my first game (tales of vesparia) The avatar is pretty dumb imo. On the wii you had a choice in whether you wanted a mii or not but an avatar is mandatory??? Is there any way to delete them off the hard drive? I'm sure the new dashboard will take some time for me to adjust but so far not too impressed
Old 11-19-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
It took me awhile to get used to it. The multiple panes are a bit much but the streamlined pop-up menu is nicer.

You change themes in My XBox. Scroll to the pane that has your avatar next to it. That pane has the option for themes.

Oh, and for folks wondering how to redeem codes like the ones for game and content downloads. Press the XBox button to bring up the new pop-up guide and scroll to the left. The last blade has the option to choose and enter codes.
Old 11-19-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel like it's an improvement. Something about the layout makes me feel less bombarded by ads than the last one. I'm sure it's the same amount, but it just doesn't feel as tacky. Also, the quick menu from the guide button seems nice.
Old 11-19-08, 08:27 PM

Seems like more to me. I guess the majority of them are on the initial menu/slide show that looks like it can be turned off though.
Old 11-19-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
I think it looks fantastic and is a much easier read. I thought the old one was great but this one is even better. Both blow the shit out of the PS3's dashboard though. Out of all 4 dashboards (old 360, PS3, and Wii) this one is by far the best in my opinion. Yeah, a couple of things seem to be in strange places but once you find them, it's no big deal (like codes and themes). It's just that you are used to them being in a certain place and they have moved. I do think it is odd to not have a dedicated window to redeem codes in the marketplace though.

As far as the Mii60's go (I coined that term by the way), I didn't think I would care for it but once I got going, I liked it. No biggie that it is mandatory. Choose a random one and move on.
Old 11-19-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like it. Much quicker, much sleeker. A lot of good improvements.
Old 11-19-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I like it now that it works. But it is confusing, I will agree there.
Old 11-19-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I love the new layout and only have 3 gripes thus far:
- starting on the Spotlight page. I know they want you to see the ads, but I want to start on my Gamercard dammit.
- the Friends tab should be right above/below My Gamercard, as it is now you have to scroll past the Video Marketplace, and a couple others to get to them.
- Online status of friends seems to be acting funny. i.e. It shows a friend playing Gears 2, but not what mode anymore.

Originally Posted by nemein

Speaking of things that don't matter, what is the whole deal w/ the gamer points anyway? I know this has probably been discussed before, but I use my PS3 more than the 360 and I just setup a live account a couple of weeks ago so I haven't done much w/ it (the gold account is in the mail since it seems you can't really do much w/ the silver). So can you trade these things in for credits or something, or is it just something to show off?
All for show. Mostly they are good for adding replay value to games. If you like to get the most out of your gaming dollar the vast majority of achievements have you do things in game that are off the beaten path. Things like speedruns, collecting things, and the like. More than just finishing the main game. The number values are completely arbitrary from game to game and mean nothing.

Originally Posted by redcat
I feel like it's an improvement. Something about the layout makes me feel less bombarded by ads than the last one. I'm sure it's the same amount, but it just doesn't feel as tacky. Also, the quick menu from the guide button seems nice.
That's because the ads are gone except on the spotlight page... so there are fewer ads.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-19-08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Is there any way to go back to the gamer picture I had before or do you have to use an avatar?
Old 11-19-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the XMB on PS3 and Miis on Wii so why wouldn't I like both of those things combined in one on 360. I still hate the ads, but at least they are all in one place and not spread all over the blades like it is a Nascar. Overall a nice interface, but as usual from MS it is someone else's ideas tweeked for their use.
Old 11-19-08, 09:49 PM

Just go to gamer pic in the edit profile page........good or bad....your new avatar is there for good.....but you can still change your pic!!

P.S.
I am glad that I had a few gamer themes laying around.....it is nice to change things up a bit....
Old 11-19-08, 09:50 PM

oh yea.......I am having fun with the new interface.....
Old 11-19-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Overall a nice interface, but as usual from MS it is someone else's ideas tweeked for their use.

As opposed to nearly every feature in the XMB that was on the 360 a year or more prior? Nice spin.
Old 11-19-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I really like the fact that you basically have the entire original interface in the X-menu (pressing the big X button on the controller) and as such, I have no issues with the new layout. The use of the XMB or whatever people are calling it is a lot smoother than it is on the PS3 which is nice.

Considering how much the PS3 has stolen from the Wii (last second motion controls, Home as an avatar system) and 360 (Trophies, In-game external options (XMB Functions just not every single one), External music/music streaming during games), I have no qualms with the 360 doing the same thing nor would I have an issue with the Wii joining in on it.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-19-08 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Im warming up to it, but I didnt like it at first... Im sure I just need to get used to it more.
Old 11-19-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it. It may take a little while to get used to where everything is at but over all I think we are moving forward. I like the quicklaunch feature. You can jump between arcade or disc based games without going back to the dashboard.
Old 11-19-08, 10:38 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like it, and the Netflix, after some early probs, is amazing. I am getting HD on some shows, and the shows that are not offered in HD, I get the highest quality no prob. Set up both xbox's in the house real easy, now my kids don't have to wait for their cartoons to get here in the mail.
Old 11-19-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I shrugged. I never really use the 360 interface - I just go straight to game and play.
Old 11-19-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I like it, and the Netflix, after some early probs, is amazing. I am getting HD on some shows, and the shows that are not offered in HD, I get the highest quality no prob. Set up both xbox's in the house real easy, now my kids don't have to wait for their cartoons to get here in the mail.
I'm fairly impressed with Netflix as well, although the "determining video quality" part seems random. Sometimes one bar, sometimes three, sometimes four. Still, it's a nice bonus feature for no extra charge.
Old 11-20-08, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Too early to really tell - ask again in a couple months.
Old 11-20-08, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I love the new layout and only have 3 gripes thus far:
- starting on the Spotlight page. I know they want you to see the ads, but I want to start on my Gamercard dammit.
This was enough for me to give it a thumbs down. I would rather go back to the old dashboard because of it.
Old 11-20-08, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This was enough for me to give it a thumbs down. I would rather go back to the old dashboard because of it.
It's easy enough to just delete that blade. It's an option right from the start up menu.

I wasn't crazy about the new dashboard -- with the old themes, even my favorite ones looked ugly and unintuitive. Once I switched to the free Night Premium theme, I quite like it now.
Old 11-20-08, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wait...how do you delete the blade? I haven't seen that option at all.

I'm using the Rock Band 2 premium theme right now...I'll probably switch between that and the Night.
Old 11-20-08, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Crap, maybe I was wrong. It looks like only the Welcome channel can be removed right now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.