Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I'm taking my ball and going home! Sony gimps Netflix for 360 users

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm taking my ball and going home! Sony gimps Netflix for 360 users

Broken by Joystiq

On the eve of Microsoft's big NXE launch, Sony has yanked hundreds of movies from Netflix streaming to the 360. They will still stream to your PC, Mac, Tivo and every other capable box, but not the 360.

Oh yes. They can't win this generation legitimately so they are going to fight dirty. Feels like we're in 2005 again. It probably stings a little seeing the competition announce and launch an all new OS inside of 6 months when Home is rolling on 18 and nowhere in sight.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-18-08 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-18-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems kinda petty. Sony could be exposing lots of customers to their movies via Netflix on the 360 instead of pulling this crap. I can watch it on my PC or Roku box, but not my 360? Lame.
Old 11-18-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I can't say I'm surprised. They want to push their own downloading service. It's the new format war.

However, from what I've seen of their titles on Netflix, at least from the catalog, the quality is so poor I can't even watch them.
Old 11-19-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I saw somewhere that most Sony movies aren't working but some still work. Someone said he watched Superbad without any problems.
Old 11-19-08, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Some actually have dates on them. For example, I have until December 1st to watch the Land Before Time V. The other flicks in the series are, so far, unaffected.

I read all the comments and reading the pro-Sony responses are good for a laugh if anyone needs a solid pick-me-up.

One person did have a pretty solid point. If Microsoft were to fight just as dirty (circa early 90's MS), Sony would have a hell of a time selling Vaio's without Windows installed.
Old 11-19-08, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
One person did have a pretty solid point. If Microsoft were to fight just as dirty (circa early 90's MS), Sony would have a hell of a time selling Vaio's without Windows installed.
That's a good point. Didn't think about that. Seems like a really petty thing to do. Maybe they should hold back windows updates for Vaio users just for leverage.
Old 11-19-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Except MS doesn't sell their own laptops, so that would only end up hurting MS.
Old 11-19-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not any worse than MS paying for exclusive DLC.
Old 11-19-08, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Just about any time Sony does or says anything, I find that it irritates me or pisses me off. I should probably just ignore them to avoid feeling guilty for enjoying my PS3.
Old 11-19-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Fandango
It's not any worse than MS paying for exclusive DLC.
Not exactly. MS owns the 360 and is investing in DLC to improve it's user base.

Sony is taking one business endeavor(Playstation) and using another industry(Sony Pictures) for their cause. I think it would be more akin to Microsoft including a free copy of Vista inside every 360 box.
Old 11-19-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some actually have dates on them. For example, I have until December 1st to watch the Land Before Time V.
ZOMG, you better hurry!
Old 11-19-08, 07:43 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Translation

Waaaahhh.. We don't have anything like this in place and we're going to be pricks about it and not let the competitor have any access to our catalog.

FU Sony!
Old 11-19-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by chuckd21
ZOMG, you better hurry!
What can I say, I have two little girls that love that series. Outside of the first one they are all pretty terrible. From the animation to the voice work to songs. Bad. Bad. Bad. On the brightside, I have two little girls that love dinosaurs. We can work on movie tastes later.
Old 11-19-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is really silly. With so many movies not available for streaming i would have just assumed that those titles hadn't been gotten to yet and would have therefore just not watched them. This seems like it will just give more exposure to products from other movie studios.
Old 11-19-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Playon should still work. It's not 360 dependant.
Old 11-19-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
...and this is news, why?

Corporations are out for profits. They aren't bastions of ethics. Microsoft leveraged its advantage in one area to increase control in another. Sony is attempting to do it now. Apple does it when it can too. As well as Google. This sympathy towards Microsoft is pretty misplaced.
Old 11-19-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what? This is a licensing issue. Sony wants to get paid for streaming their movies. You think other studios aren't getting paid?

Honestly, I don't much like either company but in reality NO company is going to give away their product.
Old 11-19-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Netflix is already paying them...

Or should a Netflix user pay per device they want to use for streaming?
Old 11-19-08, 10:27 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Easy
So what? This is a licensing issue. Sony wants to get paid for streaming their movies. You think other studios aren't getting paid?

Honestly, I don't much like either company but in reality NO company is going to give away their product.
If it was just a licensing issue and payment, don't you think MS would have paid the fee to allow it?

And it appears that the license was there in the past.

I got in the preview of the new dashboard about a week ago. I could watch Fifth Element no problems.

Now, when the NXE is released to everyone, it is mysteriously blocked to 360 owners but available to people on PCs, apples, etc. Seems kind of shady to me.

But I'd expect no less from Sony. I have never liked their business practices.

they forced a format war with HD dvds and won, only because they made a cheaper blu-ray player that happened to play playstation 3 and 2 games. Anyways, that is not a topic for this thread and has been beaten to death.
Old 11-19-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer
...and this is news, why?

Corporations are out for profits. They aren't bastions of ethics. Microsoft leveraged its advantage in one area to increase control in another. Sony is attempting to do it now. Apple does it when it can too. As well as Google. This sympathy towards Microsoft is pretty misplaced.
It's not sympathy for Microsoft... it's just being incredulous that companies are this goofy.

Why can't Sony just say "No more of our DVDs are to be shipped to homes with non-Sony brand DVD players"?
Old 11-19-08, 10:32 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

You do know how long the Roku box has been available, right? Or streaming to two Blu-ray players (LG 300, Samsung 2500/2550), right?

This happened one the eve of the NXE launch. This was done on purpose.
Old 11-19-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly, did any of you read the article?

Update 2: It appears that the sudden yoinking of Columbia Pictures films from NXE Instant Queue access is a licensing issue with Sony after all. MTV Multiplayer pinged us with word that, on the rental service's official blog, Netflix corp. communications VP Steve Swasey writes:

"As watching instantly becomes a more prominent part of the Netflix service, our goal is to have all of our streaming content licensed for all of our partner devices. We're doing well in this area, but it will take some time before we fully achieve that goal. Today, titles regularly come in and out of license and there is a natural ebb and flow to what we have on license at any given point in time. In the case of Xbox 360, a few hundred titles are temporarily unavailable to be streamed via the Xbox game console. Those titles are still available to be watched on subscribers' computers and on TVs via other partner devices, and we hope they'll be licensed for Xbox 360 shortly."
Old 11-19-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. The fact remains, on the day the Netflix feature launches on Xbox 360, Sony is the only studio whose online titles are not available. One amazing coincidence there that Sony is the only studio who doesn't have a licensing agreement...
Old 11-19-08, 10:43 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I did and I still maintain my comments.

If it is a licensing issue, why do those same movies stream to other devices still?

They were removed on the night NXE came out for 360 uses. I watched a Sony movie, Fifth Element, earlier in the week and there was no playback issue. No other studio has any licensing issues that caused movies to be unavailable for streaming to the 360.. Very shady on Sony's part.

I wouldn't doubt Sony threw in some ridiculous language in the licensing agreement that MS would have to agree to so that the 360 could stream Sony branded movies through the Netflix interface.

Sony appears very much the spoiled child at this point because they don't have any type of service that can compete with MS's offering. Home is still no where in site and MS has had a major dashboard overhaul on time after it was announced 6 months ago.
Old 11-19-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckd21
Yes. The fact remains, on the day the Netflix feature launches on Xbox 360, Sony is the only studio whose online titles are not available. One amazing coincidence there that Sony is the only studio who doesn't have a licensing agreement...
Microsoft wants to get paid for its "exclusive" download content that they shell out money to get so that you buy the game on their system. Now why can't Sony want to get paid for the licensing of their movies being streamed to their competitors product?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.