Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Study: Unhappy people watch more TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-08, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Study: Unhappy people watch more TV

Link to story.

"An extensive new research study has found that unhappy people watch more TV while those consider themselves happy spend more time reading and socializing."

I thought it was interesting because I watch alot of TV and I'm a pretty happy guy. What do you think?

If this isn't the spot for this discussion please move it. Thanks.
Old 11-18-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Holysmoker
I thought it was interesting because I watch alot of TV and I'm a pretty happy guy.
Or maybe you only think you're happy?

I watch a ton of TV and am pretty happy too, so the same question applies to me.
Old 11-18-08, 08:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
file under obvious
Old 11-18-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't read the article as the site is blocked at work but based soley on the conclusion of the study I'll say this is probably false for most of us. I think a lot of people watch TV for entertainment while there are others that watch TV because they have nothing else to do. The latter group is probably the unhappy ones.
Old 11-18-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well if four years and $120,000 worth of psychology classes have taught me anything its that their is always truth to the numbers. But at the same time the statistics for almost ANY study can be tweaked to prove the researchers thesis.

Personally I think there is truth to depressed people watch tv as a form of wish fulfillment, etc. But so does the normal people. It sounds like their saying that "depressed people watch tv too".
Old 11-18-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When I'm unhappy, I tend to go out more and socialize. When I'm content, I don't have any problems with staying home and vegging in front of the TV.
Old 11-18-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been watching less TV recently so I guess that means I'm happier.
Old 11-18-08, 12:16 PM

I only watch two tv shows a week (Chuck, Pushing Daisies) and I am the most miserable bastard you will ever meet.
Old 11-18-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think there's a difference between those who mindlessly watch television and those who watch it and then engage in discussion and critique of it, like what happens here.

I'll have to check out the study...looks interesting.
Old 11-18-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm incredibly depressed right now, but I find myself sleeping more instead of watching TV. TV barely interests me when I'm at my lowest.
Old 11-19-08, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wasn't depressed ... until I read the article.

My study concludes that people who read articles about depression are more likely to be depressed.
Old 11-19-08, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
The study confuses correlation with causation. Just because people who watch more TV are less happy doesn't mean it's TV that made them less happy. It could just as easily be the reverse: these people are less happy in general for other reasons, causing them to chose the low effort, instant gratification of TV over other activities.
Old 11-19-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
They should have a new survey and see if people that watch tv without HD are more depressed than people who do have HD.
Old 11-19-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I think there's a difference between watching television programs you enjoy, and just watching TV to watch TV.

There's a difference between "I'm going to watch 'Lost' tonight," and "I'm going to watch TV tonight."

I know quite a few people who will watch TV just to be watching TV, and they're generally unhappy, unfulfilled people.
Old 11-19-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The study confuses correlation with causation. Just re TV are less happy doesn't mean it's TV that made them less happy. It could just as easily be the reverse: these people are less happy in general for other reasons, causing them to chose the low effort, instant gratification of TV over other activities.
I agree - the last thing I want when I'm very depressed is to be around people. I once virtually didn't leave the house for 6 months and my clearest memory is watching Johnny Carson every weeknight.
Old 11-20-08, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by yoshimi
i only watch two tv shows a week (chuck, pushing daisies) and i am the most miserable bastard you will ever meet.
lol
Old 11-20-08, 06:13 AM
Banned

The survey doesn't take into account that most of the shows on TV these days flat-out suck ass.
Old 11-20-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxMFP
The survey doesn't take into account that most of the shows on TV these days flat-out suck ass.
So what? You don't have to watch everything. Just watch what is good. There is more than enough quality television that you can avoid the garbage without a problem.