Dexter -- "The Damage a Man Can Do" -- 11/16/08

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Dexter -- "The Damage a Man Can Do" -- 11/16/08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Miguel not only brings Dexter another potential target but wants in on the action; Rita's pregnancy causes her to fear that Dexter will lose interest in her; Debra's digging gets her closer to nabbing the Skinner, and upon discovering a secret about her new boyfriend, Anton, he disappears.

Old 11-16-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
most intense episode yet. simply amazing. Dexter has created a MONSTER in Miguel!
Old 11-16-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great episode, i'll save what i want to say since it has more to do with the previews for next week but it seems the episodes are picking up quite a bit.
Old 11-17-08, 08:42 AM

Fairly certain that Miguel will be going rogue and Dexter will have to put him down when he realizes he's created a monster without a conscience (in that he kills w/o the certainty of guilt and/or becomes addicted to just killing in general). An endgame appears to be in sight. This show is incredible.
Old 11-17-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow BEST Dexter EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's a storm brewing....
Old 11-17-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally starting to warm to the Miguel Prado storyline. It looks like it's about to get really interesting.

The Deb/CI developments were kind of lame. She's concerned about his safety for the last few episodes and even suggests putting a protection detail on him but when he stops returning her calls she freaks out because she thinks he's dumping her. I guess it's just more evidence of how crappy a cop Deb is.
Old 11-17-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way he reacted, I think Miguel probably needed to change his underwear.

This season has largely stunk. The Dexter-Miguel storyline is interesting but all the other character subplots are deadly dull. Its especially troubling that the only thing the writers can come up with for Deb is some stupid bad relationship, as if any can compare to what she went through in season one.
Old 11-17-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I feel sad for the Deb character.

It's obvious that Dexter is going to kill Miguel Padro, so are the writers really going to do that? or are they going to surprise us?
Because Dexter is the one that "created" Miguel the serial killer. Maybe the writers can come with some creative ways to finish that.
Old 11-17-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dexter's expression was priceless!!!!
Old 11-17-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
This season has largely stunk.
I cannot disagree more. The past 2 episodes are amongst my favorite of the series. And even with the build up being slow, it has paid off so far. Plus I really love Dexter's inner turmoil.

As for the side plots, they've always been second (third?) tier, but I enjoy them. They're atleast good for pacing.

And I see the Miguel plot going the opposite of Doakes, as it has so far, he won't be killed but will go to jail instead. I think he's honorable enough not to rat out Dexter, not that he could prove Dexter's guilt anyway. Dexter has the the upper ground.
Old 11-17-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think this season is kicking ass, just as good as the first two. Dexter is definitely going to have to put an end to killer Miguel.
Old 11-17-08, 10:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Next weeks previews looked insane. I think it was mentioned here but I am kind of suprised Dexter hasn't taken an interest in the serial skin killer or that they haven't revealed who it is yet (although since Dexter isn't interested in him it makes some sense).
Old 11-18-08, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Geddlo
Next weeks previews looked insane. I think it was mentioned here but I am kind of suprised Dexter hasn't taken an interest in the serial skin killer or that they haven't revealed who it is yet (although since Dexter isn't interested in him it makes some sense).
I could be wrong, but didnt they say who it was at the end of the episode??? I watched it twice and both times they said who the SSK is......THe bad part is I kind of knew it when they "had" hiim, something was off with him and the look in his eyes was that of the typical "killer" IMO ( for this show)...

As for Dexter not taking any interest, it has perked his interest, but he is very sidetracked at the moment between the wedding, the baby, and Miguel, I think it has been pushed back for the moment.

I remember there being an article about this episode I beleive a few weeks back where it said that Miguels scene was "real" by accident and that it was a real knife (maybe not in the final aired scene, but it did happen)....Looks like someone pulled a "Crow" (I appologize about the poor use of the reference, but it just seemed to weird to happen.
Old 11-18-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ph8te
I could be wrong, but didnt they say who it was at the end of the episode??? I watched it twice and both times they said who the SSK is......THe bad part is I kind of knew it when they "had" hiim, something was off with him and the look in his eyes was that of the typical "killer" IMO ( for this show)...

As for Dexter not taking any interest, it has perked his interest, but he is very sidetracked at the moment between the wedding, the baby, and Miguel, I think it has been pushed back for the moment.

I remember there being an article about this episode I beleive a few weeks back where it said that Miguels scene was "real" by accident and that it was a real knife (maybe not in the final aired scene, but it did happen)....Looks like someone pulled a "Crow" (I appologize about the poor use of the reference, but it just seemed to weird to happen.
From what i've read the story came out about a week after the season opener so I'm guessing fans who read it basically had the whole season ruined for them.
Old 11-18-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Drop
I cannot disagree more. The past 2 episodes are amongst my favorite of the series. And even with the build up being slow, it has paid off so far. Plus I really love Dexter's inner turmoil...
Thats cool. I'm happy for you.

For me, the first season had not only all the character intro's but the complexity of the Ice Truck killer, the second had Dexter in a pinch in every aspect of his life (hidden and surface)... this season..... meh, he found a buddy... and one so unbalanced you sorta' know whats gonna' happen. Even all the conflict with Rita is pretty rote and more or less dropped within the episodes unlike the first two seasons threading.

Let me put it this way, I discovered Dexter when Showtime put the first two seasons up ONDemand, and I found myself watching two or three episodes a night because the suspense build up was that good. This season, its not exactly appointment television as I've actually found myself on Monday or Tuesday saying, "Oh yeah, there was a new Dexter on, guess I should watch it." But thats just lil' ol' me.

They signed the show up for two more seasons. I'm curious how the writers are going to handle it. I think they really need some inspiration.
Old 11-18-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am enjoying this season's Miguel plot much more than last season's Lila plot.
Old 11-18-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
^ This I agree with
Old 11-18-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Absolutely agree.
Old 11-18-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
While that is certainly true, the show misses Doakes. It was unfortunate that just wasn't any way to keep him after season 2.
Old 11-18-08, 06:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ph8te
I thought they only "suspected" it was him. It most certainly will come out that it is him but they don't have any hard evidence it is that guy. That's how I saw it at least.
Old 11-19-08, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by paradicelost
From what i've read the story came out about a week after the season opener so I'm guessing fans who read it basically had the whole season ruined for them.
Yeah I saw the article before the episode, but the article I read did not have any spoilers in it. So people were waiting for the moment to happen not knowing "how" or "when" it was going to occur. If that was the scene though pretty freaky that it actually happened and wasnt a stunt (at first). Just imagine the looks on peoples faces when they realized the mistake that was made...
Old 11-19-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Or it looks like Dexter has a fall guy for the many people he's killed over the years (but Miguel would have to also be living in the same area when the killings occured). Having Miguel sent to prison over Dex's kills would be delicious, and it provides a springboard for more Miguel in the future.
Old 11-19-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
This season has been on par so far...but I agree that the sub plots are a little un-interesting. Sadly though, this show is falling into 24 mode...oh look serial killer that takes a season to catch...and so forth. We need a little bit of a curve ball to shake things up or it could be a long season next year.
Old 11-19-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is Miguel going to rat out Dexter or kill Lawyer Lady?
Old 11-19-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
For me, the first season had not only all the character intro's but the complexity of the Ice Truck killer, the second had Dexter in a pinch in every aspect of his life (hidden and surface)... this season..... meh, he found a buddy... and one so unbalanced you sorta' know whats gonna' happen. Even all the conflict with Rita is pretty rote and more or less dropped within the episodes unlike the first two seasons threading.
I think the Miguel angle is as interesting as the ITK. It's essential what would happen if Dexter didn't kill Brian and they became a duo. Miguel is just as much of a hot head when it comes to getting the job done, and it looks like he might go places Dexter never wanted to. And I don't think it's as predictable as you make it out to be, or any less than the plots in Season 1 or 2. We know bad shit happens, that's the way it works when you have a show staring a killer. What the bad shit is any guess. Miguel doesn't have to die but he could (and the how of that is also in question), he could go to jail, or he could make it the next season as a rival. It's all bad for Dexter or Miguel one way or another.

Rita I disagree with. I think his whole marriage proposal was one of the most defining things to happen in their relationship. Dexter is still manipulative towards her inspite of having genuine feelings. Rita has always been a cliche (like most of the supporting cast), so her typical actions are nothing new anyway.

But there's still plenty new things Dexter did, like kill an innocent and a friend, as well as make a confession, and he did it for what he believes to be good reasons. Not to mention I see the marriage and children storyline picking up, I think his relationship to Miguel (master/student), is a foreshadowing to his father/child relationship to not only his flesh and blood but his soon to be adopted kids. He'll learn from his mistakes and pass the code on better than with Miguel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.