Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sirius's 'Area' replaces XM's 'The Move' with merger and other changes

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 08:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Since this topic is both about 'music' and radio: I thought I'd post this comment, since well, I'm kind of livid at the moment. The two companies have merged and with it, channel replacements/movings. Cinemagic won't be back until January 1st - damn. UPop has been dropped - damn, but replaced with BBC Radio 1 - ultra cool!. Both the Move and the disco channels have both been axed - double damn and replaced with Sirius' 'Area' - which I'm listening to at the moment, and it hasn't impressed me in the slightest. Dance music seems to have gotten the shaft with the merger. With 'The Move' now gone, deep house and I believe some of the DJ sessions are of the thing of the past, unless the quality of the 'Area' can achieve what 'The Move' did to excellent effect - I'll wait and decide.
Old 11-13-08, 09:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dgmayor
Yeah I'm quite unhappy with the changes. I've only had XM since i got my car in March, but about 80% of the time I listened to either Lucy or Ethel. Now that they've been replaced with the Sirius versions Litium and Alt Nation, they pale in comparison IMO.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about the Chill station as well, but I'm not a listener.
yup and those as well, Lucy, Ethel gone! poof. And yup the new Chill - the change in music is quite blatant, the wrong direction.
Old 11-13-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
That sucks for people who liked those stations. I don't have Sirius, but my roommate does in his car. As long as they still have the stations that we listen to when he drives - Lithium, the outlaw country station, 80s pop, the stand up comedy ones and the BBC - I'm good. Still, the more options the better.

With my only access to Sirius being in his car, I don't really get much of a chance to play around with it. I'm sure if he had it in the house, I'd have it playing constantly.
Old 11-13-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPop dropped? One of the few channels I actually liked on XM. Discovered many great bands on that station, like Persephone's Bees.

I only listen to Sirius for Howard Stern in the morning before I head off to work.
Old 11-13-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Damn, Lucy was my favorite. I had no idea it was dropped.
Old 11-13-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fred was also dropped and it's "replacement" First Wave is a joke. Tons of repeats, shallow playlist, DJ's talking over the start of a song. I'll probably be canceling both of my radios this weekend.
Old 11-13-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have XM. I'm sorry to see Beyond Jazz going away, but am happy to be picking up Underground Garage.
Old 11-13-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Noticed Squizz was changed to Octane. If this means not as much shitty nu metal, i'm all for it. Noticed Da Boneyard is gone, and replaced with an all hairband channel. Wonder if Eddie Trunk will still be on that channel? Also liking Faction too.
Old 11-13-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
I checked out the new line-up on the way home. Well, to temper my disappointment, I must admit I'm pretty happy to get E Street Radio. Unlike the totally useless Led Zep station (I already have the whole catalog; I can always put my playlist on "shuffle"), E Street has complete, unreleased concerts from 30 years ago. It's cool to check out (despite the completely terrible audio quality).

It appears XMX has been deleted. Where will those shows play now? I always enjoy that wacky Bob Dylan show on Wed.
Old 11-13-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Boneyard is on Sirius, as is the Bob Dylan theme time Radio Hour.

The Lithium channel on Sirius is a fucking joke. I never had XM, but my friend did and those didn't channels didn't play Alice In Chains every fifth song.

You win some, you lose some I guess. I hope they learn from this and start having deeper playlists.
Old 11-14-08, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Noticed Squizz was changed to Octane. If this means not as much shitty nu metal, i'm all for it. Noticed Da Boneyard is gone, and replaced with an all hairband channel. Wonder if Eddie Trunk will still be on that channel? Also liking Faction too.
Hair Nation is great. My Sirius 19 is now Boneyard (was Buzzsaw), but its the all AC/DC station for the moment.

I'm mad they changed my metal channel to "Liquid Metal"? Also Backspin is gone.
Old 11-14-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
Fred was also dropped and it's "replacement" First Wave is a joke. Tons of repeats, shallow playlist, DJ's talking over the start of a song. I'll probably be canceling both of my radios this weekend.
Ok the shallow playlist can just force me to surf other channels during the day... I can deal with that since Fred did drive some songs into the ground. I've heard "One of Our Submarines" enough to fill two lifetimes.

BUT the DJ talking over songs is annoying me to no end. Larry the Duck WTF?
Old 11-14-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This also affects the music channels on DirecTV, since they have a subset of XM channels. For my tastes, the switches have been a small net positive, but then I didn't listen to (or watch?) too many of the "name" stations (Lucy, Ethel, Fred, ...) anyway.
Old 11-14-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker

You shouldn't be, they kept the Sirius station and changed the name to Liquid Metal. It sucks because Liquid Metal was great, it played a lot of bands I've never heard of and expanded my metal library. Hard Attack is the same crap over and over and over and over......
Old 11-14-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Hair Nation is great. My Sirius 19 is now Boneyard (was Buzzsaw), but its the all AC/DC station for the moment.

Great news listen to Hair Nation every day, now i get the Boneyard also it is a good day for 80's Metalheads, now i would love to have Cinemagic added to Sirrius.

Last edited by johnbook; 11-14-08 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-14-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cerial442
Hard Attack is the same crap over and over and over and over......
Sounds like FM rock stations ay.
Old 11-14-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by johnbook
Sounds like FM rock stations ay.
Pretty much, they had the dj's talking over the beginning of the song.
Old 11-14-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Boneyard will be back in January when the AC/DC channel ends. Listened to First Wave some more today, it's slightly better but still sucks compared to Fred for me.
Old 11-15-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
Since this topic is both about 'music' and radio: I thought I'd post this comment, since well, I'm kind of livid at the moment. The two companies have merged and with it, channel replacements/movings. Cinemagic won't be back until January 1st - damn.
Do you know if Cinemagic will be available on Sirrius, i have been waiting for a channel like that since i got my new truck, came with Sirrius.
Old 11-15-08, 05:29 PM

I'm still upset that xm took Music Lab and Sporting News Radio off the air a couple of years ago. And now they are fucking with the comedy channel. I was hoping that Jam On would be a good addition, but I'm not impressed so far.
Old 11-15-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by johnbook
Do you know if Cinemagic will be available on Sirrius, i have been waiting for a channel like that since i got my new truck, came with Sirrius.

as soon as they stop playing xmas music...
Old 11-15-08, 07:16 PM

I listen to Ethel and Lucy 90% of the time so I was extremely disappointed that they were replaced with their sirius equivalents which i have been none to impressed with in the past. I'll give them a month but if they suck i may just end up canceling.
Old 11-15-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I listen to XMU 95% of the time, and it looks like my two favorite DJ's are gone (Billy Zero and Tobi). The music still sounds decent, but I'll miss their voices. If nothing else, I guess all the changes will inspire me to surf a lot more.
Old 11-17-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
So if the two have combined, why do XM subscribers have to pay extra to get Stern? A friend of mine has Sirius and gets Stern included with his sub, why isn't it included to all subscribers now?
Old 11-17-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MichaelMeyers
I listen to Ethel and Lucy 90% of the time so I was extremely disappointed that they were replaced with their sirius equivalents which i have been none to impressed with in the past. I'll give them a month but if they suck i may just end up canceling.

I agree with this 100%, and I'm currently shelling for 3 subscriptions. My car, wife's car, home.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.