Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Police: Certifiable

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-13-08, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone else pick this up? I'm surprised there isn't any discussion or buzz about this.

This is a Best Buy exclusive, because Best Buy sponsored The Police's tour. Shot in Buenos Aires, the 109-minute concert contains most of the band's gems. The release is available on two DVDs or one Blu-ray disc (the DVD version contains the concert on one disc and extras on the other, while the Blu-ray has enough room for all the material); each come with two CDs of the concert. There is also a vinyl release.

I picked up the Blu-ray and the concert, which was shot on HD video, looks and sounds fantastic. The 50-minute behind-the-scenes documentary is also in HD.

I'd like to hear what other people have to say about this release.
Old 11-13-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I'd like to hear what other people have to say about this release.
I wish I had an opinion. I pre-ordered it from bb.com within the first week of announcement many months ago and yesterday I got an email saying it was backordered.
Old 11-13-08, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the 2 DVD/2 CD version and the concert is great. Unfortunately the packaging is incredibly cheap; flimsy cardboard and all four of the discs were loose when I opened it. Still a great deal for $19.99 though.
Old 11-13-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fsubruce
I got the 2 DVD/2 CD version and the concert is great. Unfortunately the packaging is incredibly cheap; flimsy cardboard and all four of the discs were loose when I opened it. Still a great deal for $19.99 though.
My CD's were loose when I opened it. As you said, the packaging is very cheap. Regardless, the DVD looks great (haven't watched the documentary yet) and it was interesting to hear the different arrangements they used for most of the songs.
Old 11-13-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Packaging is horrible. The center rings are too small so the disc doesn't lock in, it just sits on it.
Old 11-13-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
Unfortunately, this has been "out" for months. IN HD no less. I will pick it up, on Blu once I get my PS3, but I hate it when they show something on TV, then just release the same thing months later.
Old 11-13-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Since it's never going to be on sale (the main reason I HATE store-exclusive releases), I'm waiting for a 10% off coupon before buying the BR copy. Is that in any better packaging
Old 11-13-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
I wish I had an opinion. I pre-ordered it from bb.com within the first week of announcement many months ago and yesterday I got an email saying it was backordered.
The availability of this has been annoying. I had to go to two different Best Buys yesterday to find the Blu-ray version. The closest store to me said they had it, but it turned out the Blu-rays were not included in their shipment, despite what the computer said. The guy I talked to at the second Best Buy said they only got three Blu-rays. Both stores had plenty of the vinyl version though.

Originally Posted by fsubruce
Same here. All three discs were loose in mine.

Originally Posted by Decker
Since it's never going to be on sale (the main reason I HATE store-exclusive releases), I'm waiting for a 10% off coupon before buying the BR copy. Is that in any better packaging
The packaging is the same.

It's sort of on sale this week. The Blu-ray is priced at $29.99, normally $34.99; the DVD is $19.99, normally $24.99. If you wait for a coupon, you may be getting 10 percent off the higher price, which would be higher than this week's "sale" price.

I think $30 is fair for a Blu-ray and two CDs.
Old 11-13-08, 08:32 PM
kpa

I would love to have seen more rehearsal footage, and the actual package is too flimsy (like everyone else, my discs were loose). The performance itself is fantastic, and it sounds great. There really is a magic in the combination of these three guys, and casual listeners who just think of "Sting ©" when these songs come on the radio would do well to check this out and see the other 2/3 of the equation that made these songs classics.

Now lets get 'Around the World' and 'From Outlandos to Synchronicity' DVDs out there!
Old 11-13-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I just finished watching the blu-ray, and I'm more than pleased. The packaging is crap, but the content more than makes up for it.

These young douchebag drummers like Travis Barker need to watch Stewart Copeland and learn how it's done.
Old 11-13-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
It's sort of on sale this week. The Blu-ray is priced at $29.99, normally $34.99; the DVD is $19.99, normally $24.99. If you wait for a coupon, you may be getting 10 percent off the higher price, which would be higher than this week's "sale" price.

I think $30 is fair for a Blu-ray and two CDs.
Didn't know that. Guess I'll pick this up tomorrow or Sat then. Looking forward to watching this. I enjoyed the reunion concert here in Vegas quite a lot (though Sting Jr's opening act sucked big-time).
Old 11-14-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought it on Tuesday at BB and I finished watching the documentary and some select performances last night. I have to say I'm incredibly pleased. Sounded and looked awesome. The bass drum on "Wrapped Around Your Finger" is crazy. My blu-ray disk was loose as well, and contrary to what's said before, you can lock them down on the holders. It's just not as prominent as on other cases.
Old 11-15-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The SD verson is going to be $19.99 at least thru black friday, according to ads... I've not seen any clips, is Sting sans beard? I liked the second leg of the tour better, Demolition Man was the highlight of the show for me, unfortunately not in this collection.

I'm guessing Summers didn't have a problem with the key change on Don't Stand So Close To Me in this concert? Three out of the four shows I saw, he F'd it up, and Sting was PISSED!

I think the cheap packaging had something to do with using 100% recycled materials.
Old 11-15-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sting is sans beard. This was taken from the Buenos Aires shows in December 2007.
Old 11-16-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My only fear is once (if) the release goes wide, there will be an additional disc added... It happened last year with the Best Buy Mariah Carey release, and I'm sure there are other examples.
Old 11-17-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
I just finished watching the blu-ray, and I'm more than pleased. The packaging is crap, but the content more than makes up for it.

These young douchebag drummers like Travis Barker need to watch Stewart Copeland and learn how it's done.
That's pretty ridiculous. Barker is one of the best drummers in music today, Neil Peart himself has said that. Blink sucked, but that's not because of his drumming. Modern Drummer has also recognized how good he is.
Old 11-17-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't know anything about his drumming, but purely based on appearance, he is indeed a douchebag.

Copeland is a fun drummer to watch. He definitely has a different technique. Don't see too many drummers using traditional grip.
Old 11-29-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally picked it up.

Strange there are no liner notes.

Wish Sting spoke to the crowd in English. I miss his band introduction joke, even though it's partially in the doc...

Glad they chose a stadium show with the big light show, much better presentation than the smaller venues. I heard they shot Dodger stadium, but they were terrible there... A whole verse of Don't Stand So Close to Me Sting played in one key, Andy another... it was excrutiating... They sound great this show...

Definitely liked the set list from the second leg better.... Citi (I think) sponsored the second leg, maybe there'll be another release....

Andy wears a "They killed Kenny" strap, and it's in the disc credits as furnished by comedy central...
Old 11-29-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by hasslein
Finally picked it up.

Strange there are no liner notes.

Wish Sting spoke to the crowd in English. I miss his band introduction joke, even though it's partially in the doc...

Glad they chose a stadium show with the big light show, much better presentation than the smaller venues. I heard they shot Dodger stadium, but they were terrible there... A whole verse of Don't Stand So Close to Me Sting played in one key, Andy another... it was excrutiating... They sound great this show...

Definitely liked the set list from the second leg better.... Citi (I think) sponsored the second leg, maybe there'll be another release....

Andy wears a "They killed Kenny" strap, and it's in the disc credits as furnished by comedy central...
I thought it was cool that he actually spoke Spanish and spoke to the crowd in their native tongue.
Old 12-02-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes it was cool, but I don't want it on the only recording of the concert I can purchase.

Also noticed "Hole in My Life" (a second leg song) had already replaced "The Bed's Too Big Without You" in this set. Both decent songs, but live I thought were pretty disposable crowd killers...
Old 12-03-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I don't know anything about his drumming, but purely based on appearance, he is indeed a douchebag.

Copeland is a fun drummer to watch. He definitely has a different technique. Don't see too many drummers using traditional grip.
If you want to hear some great Copeland pick up the Oysterhead album. It's a trio that consist of Copeland, Les Claypool and Trey Anastasio. Dark, dark funk.