Search this Thread

Old 11-11-08, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Fringe -- "In Which We Meet Mr. Jones" -- 11/11/08

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

The appearance of a strange parasite inside the body of an ailing FBI agent prompts a hurried trip to Germany for Olivia, who learns even more unpleasant news from a man imprisoned there. Meanwhile, Dr. Bishop and Peter try to read a dead man's brain waves.

It's baaaack, the show that some of you love to hate.
Old 11-12-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Same formula, guess they stick to what is easy to produce
Old 11-12-08, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two 47 shout-outs!

Page 47 at the beginning, and the address was 4331: 3+3+1=7.

And I do like how the Observer has been in every single episode, even though I missed him in the last two.

This is a helpful page to bookmark for that very reason: http://fringepedia.net/index.php?tit...er#Appearances

Last edited by Aegean2007; 11-12-08 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-12-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is the significance of the number 47?
Old 11-12-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave
What is the significance of the number 47?
Alias, another Abrams show, used the number very frequently.
Old 11-12-08, 11:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm starting to lose interest in this show. In the back of my mind I keep getting the feeling that there will be a lot of "unanswered" plot points, ala "Lost".
Old 11-12-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm starting to lose interest in this show. In the back of my mind I keep getting the feeling that there will be a lot of "unanswered" plot points, ala "Lost".
How can you say lost has unsanswered plot points when the series isn't over yet? I'm sure many of the unanswered questions will be answered within the next 2 seasons. I hope Fringe has alot of unanswered questions that they plan on answering later down the line. Keeps things interesting that way.
Old 11-12-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by leacha
That lecture that Broyles gave Olivia in this episode was for YOU then Solid episode, knew that would happen at the end but still was glad that it did...lots of cool unexplained shit is going down
Old 11-12-08, 02:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
How can you say lost has unsanswered plot points when the series isn't over yet? I'm sure many of the unanswered questions will be answered within the next 2 seasons. I hope Fringe has alot of unanswered questions that they plan on answering later down the line. Keeps things interesting that way.
Over the course of five or seven seasons and with production/staff changes, I'm willing to bet that a show will never tie up all of the loose ends or they will give some lame ass catch all explanation (i.e., Dallas and the "whole dream" season).
Old 11-12-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I love this show but when they cracked that guy's chest open that shit was NAAAASTY!!!! I hate parasites!!!!

Anyway, that last bit at the end in the hospital bed was very interesting.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-12-08 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-12-08, 11:32 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I love this show but when they cracked that guy's chest open that shit was NAAAASTY!!!! I hate parasites!!!!
The first two things to come to mind after seeing that...

Old 11-13-08, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

yep. same here.

BTW, anyone know why this made it to Hulu the next day, but House MD still wasn't up as of Wed morning? How do they determine this stuff? I'm happy it was up so soon because I watch most of these shows online, and I hate Fox's site because they don't put shows up until 8 days after airing.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-13-08 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-13-08, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
I read somewhere that Hulu cannot post house until 8 days later, due to broadcast agreements with USA, which reairs fairly recent House episodes. That's why the other Fox shows are up faster than ol' scruffy doc.
Old 11-13-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ooh ok, I forgot about House on USA. That makes sense.

Thanks
Old 11-13-08, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many more names can they come up with for him to call Astrid? They expelled 2 this week (Astro and Astroid).

They have yet to use Astird though.
Old 11-13-08, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
The first two things to come to mind after seeing that...

This is the image I thought of when I first saw the parasite as well and it was very hard for me to suspend my disbelief. Then about the 5th time they showed the thing, I realized it was actually a centipede-type creature and what I thought was teeth were the legs/feet. For some reason I was able to believe a parasitic centipede wrapped around someone's heart easier than a Super Mario Piranha plant chomping on it!

I thought it was a pretty good episode by the way....
Old 11-13-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I just caught all the episodes on hulu so I missed all of the initial talk about this show.

My 0.02:

This show is bad. Really really bad. It is so poorly written. The main thing is the suspension of belief. I don't think they have any kind of a technical expert that they call on for the science aspect of it. And what is it with Peter having to translate Walter's science. He's not saying anything that's really difficult to understand. I think one in particular was when they were at the crashed elevator and he mentioned themoelectric burn marks. And Peter had to translate they were shocked. Uh...yeah I think the audience can deduce that. They're reasoning for a lot of this is just really poor writing too.

However, despite all these major complaints the show still has some kind of strange attraction to it. I guess from the previews I was expecting something with more technical expertise like CSI or a Michael Crichton book where your belief is firmly suspended between sound science.

I really like Peter and Walter though. They make a good duo and right now I'm watching it mainly because I like Walter and his antics so much.

So overall a very poorly written show with no semblance of reality but still highly entertaining with a fun old crackpot genius.
Old 12-15-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
I'm well behind.

I figured the wife was going to off him, so I was surprised there. Hooked further by the mystery there.

Also, I thought Olivia's interaction with the ex (?) brought some really good chemistry, and in turn acting from our leading lady.