Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to a Best Buy "Private Shopping Event"?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-04-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a Premier Silver Reward Zone member, and frequently get these "Member Only" shopping event emails. The emails are very vague, usually saying that there will be some door prizes to first 50 people, double or triple RZ points, and special financing offers. But they never say anything about what (if anything) will be on sale.

So has anyone ever been to one of these? Do they have special sale items? Most importantly, do they have special DVD sales?
Old 11-04-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I just got one of these emails yesterday for this coming Sunday and was wondering that myself. The email didn't have a lot of details on what actual deals there would be.
Old 11-04-08, 10:41 AM

I dont recall the particulars of the email, but I thought that the private sale was during regular store hours so I didnt see how this could be so "private" and exclusive. Hence my deletion of the email.
Old 11-04-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been to one back in May that actually had deals listed in the email. Got my wife a nice laptop w/ free Zune for my daughter for like $500 + double RZ points. It was worth.

However, the last thing these are are "private" events. There will be a crazy amount of people all as exclusive as you. The door prizes aren't really anything to write home about. I think the event in May got me a free mini tri-pod and a pack of 4x6" photo paper.
Old 11-04-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Phibes
I dont recall the particulars of the email, but I thought that the private sale was during regular store hours so I didnt see how this could be so "private" and exclusive. Hence my deletion of the email.
8:30pm-10:30pm on Sunday, only at certain stores.
Old 11-04-08, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Phibes
Our store here is having the event on Sunday at 8:30PM
The store closes at 8PM on Sundays, so for all intents & purposes this is a *private* event. (well, private for members, of which there are many.) Whether it sucks, who knows. I've never been to one, but plan to check it out just to get the freebie even though I don't need it. LOL
Old 11-04-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
I just got one of these invites for this weekend as well. I might go check it out just to look out the window to those on the sidewalk, flashing my reward zone card while enjoying my "private" party.
Old 11-04-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts
i dont rmember
any dvd special pricing at any that i've bbeen to.

these are mostly just sponsor events with a bunch of tables set up and a bunch of crappy freebies like water bottles and plastic footballs.

best reason to attend is a chance for a gift card giveway every hour
Old 11-09-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mr. Cinema was reporting that Best Buy had Hancock out early, albeit at $29.99 for Blu-ray. I wonder if there's anything else cool like that.
Old 11-09-08, 10:15 PM
Suspended

That had to be the most bizarre experience I have ever had. I am never ever stepping foot into Best Buy again. It was f*cking CREEPY !

As soon as the big line of folks started entering the store ALL of the Best Buy employees were lined up on each side of the entrance leading into the main aisle clapping and, I kid you not, HOOTING ! Not woo-ing, but Hooting like f*cking owels !

You could not go 3 seconds in this store without some employee coming up asking, "What brought you in tonight ?" "Is there anything I can help you find." "Hello, ma'am, need any holiday ideas, who are you shopping for." BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I was standing next to this lady talking about how bad it was, the employees were freakin' vultures, and in the span of - no joke - 2 seconds one employee accausted us & then another, then another minute later another one (I ignored him while he just looked at me until he walked away. I refused to talk to another one of these creepazoids) & then another one, a greasy lookin' kid, came up to us & said, "Welcome, reward members. We have reward zone deals just for you all over the store. How great does that make you feel ?!" I looked at him with absolute disbelief all over my face & rolled my eyes so hard I even offended myself !

The deals weren't even good ! Their prices were regular prices everywhere else in town with exception to some DS games for $4.99.

I didn't mind Best Buy before now. They were not my favorite store, but I liked them ok. I am never ever going there again. The employees were not being helpful. They were treating customers like wallets, seeing how far they could reach in & how much money they could take.

ETA : I was actually sitting on the floor in one section, a quiet one I thought, a display of cheap PC games. I was looking through a pile deciding what I wanted when an employee came & sat down on the floor next to me offering to help me pick out something. I looked at him & said, "you are about the 120th person to come up to me." To which he said, "We just want to find great deals for our customers." I said, "Ok, bye !" and shoo'd him away. I got up & left at that point, disgusted, and bought nothing.

Last edited by fitlissa76; 11-09-08 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-09-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just got back earlier tonight from mine... WON A $50 gift card! They were raffling them off every 15 minutes. Also, Hancock was available early, tonight only, and on Blu-ray only... so I thought that was really cool. Never heard of a store doing something like that.

All in all, I'm glad I went.
Old 11-10-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Tenacious D Complete Masterworks 2 was also offered early on Blu-ray though the store I was at only had one copy which I bought. It was marked $24.99, but rang up for $12.99 and that combined with the little free recharger thing made it worth the trip. Overall though very few deals. Not much of an event.
Old 11-10-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I ended up not bothering to go, since it looks like the only big plus was Hancock on Blu-ray early as well as an ample stock of Wii's.
Old 11-13-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's not that cool....the "specials" aren't all that special....the only perk is you can MAYBE win a raffle...but you have to stay there the ENTIER 2 hours or however long the event is to win anything
Old 11-13-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlissa76
That had to be the most bizarre experience I have ever had. I am never ever stepping foot into Best Buy again. It was f*cking CREEPY !

As soon as the big line of folks started entering the store ALL of the Best Buy employees were lined up on each side of the entrance leading into the main aisle clapping and, I kid you not, HOOTING ! Not woo-ing, but Hooting like f*cking owels !

You could not go 3 seconds in this store without some employee coming up asking, "What brought you in tonight ?" "Is there anything I can help you find." "Hello, ma'am, need any holiday ideas, who are you shopping for." BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I was standing next to this lady talking about how bad it was, the employees were freakin' vultures, and in the span of - no joke - 2 seconds one employee accausted us & then another, then another minute later another one (I ignored him while he just looked at me until he walked away. I refused to talk to another one of these creepazoids) & then another one, a greasy lookin' kid, came up to us & said, "Welcome, reward members. We have reward zone deals just for you all over the store. How great does that make you feel ?!" I looked at him with absolute disbelief all over my face & rolled my eyes so hard I even offended myself !

The deals weren't even good ! Their prices were regular prices everywhere else in town with exception to some DS games for $4.99.

I didn't mind Best Buy before now. They were not my favorite store, but I liked them ok. I am never ever going there again. The employees were not being helpful. They were treating customers like wallets, seeing how far they could reach in & how much money they could take.

ETA : I was actually sitting on the floor in one section, a quiet one I thought, a display of cheap PC games. I was looking through a pile deciding what I wanted when an employee came & sat down on the floor next to me offering to help me pick out something. I looked at him & said, "you are about the 120th person to come up to me." To which he said, "We just want to find great deals for our customers." I said, "Ok, bye !" and shoo'd him away. I got up & left at that point, disgusted, and bought nothing.
You know, this was similar to a "regular" experience I had at BB last year. I believe it was the beginning of the shopping season. My theory is that they were littered with new "help" for the holidays that were script-machines more than the regular employees. If I hadn't of been in and out it definitely would have driven me out. I couldn't go more than 6 feet without being asked if I needed help.

I do like to know that somebody is around when I need them, but that was just beyond necessary and infact plain bad.
Old 11-16-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I think they realize that the people there are loyal customers, that spend alot of money and they put on the full court press for customer service.
Old 11-16-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts

sitting on the floor?
are you five.
Old 11-16-08, 10:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by whotony
sitting on the floor?
are you five.
Are you a moron ? Oh, why yes, I guess you are or else you wouldn't say such stupid things.
Like there's anything wrong with sitting on the floor. Puhlease.
It was a big display & it, at the time, seemed like the only safe place from the Best Buy vultures.
I had 9 games, a DVD set, a Wii game, etc... all set to buy & when that last vulture found me I decided that was it. No buying anything & I walked out, leaving all that crap for them to clean up.

I love me.

Last edited by fitlissa76; 11-16-08 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-16-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... all set to buy & when that last vulture found me I decided that was it. No buying anything & I walked out, leaving all that crap for them to clean up.
You ditched the stuff because the Best Buy employees were...too nice? Excessively helpful? Just, y'know, doing their job?

Originally Posted by whotony
are you five.
Old 11-17-08, 09:20 AM

I can appreciate when people try to help, how often have we all gone shopping to get NO help at all?
Old 11-17-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=TimeandTide;9076677]You ditched the stuff because the Best Buy employees were...too nice? Excessively helpful? Just, y'know, doing their job?

I'm with him, its really annoying when you are trying to shop, read packages, etc... and you are getting bothered every 30 seconds by someone who really has no idea what they are selling or trying to sell. Most employees at Best Buy aren't marginally helpful let alone excessively helpful.
Old 11-19-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Private Shopping Event" is just code for a store hosting a local gangbang at 1 AM...