Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony Bravia KDL-46VL130 46" HDTV Digital Local Channel Issue- Please Help!!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my good friends recently acquired this new Sony Bravia TV, however, though his old HDTV was able to display digital channels from his coax cable from the wall- he doesnt have cable- his new Bravia transmits these same channels in SD and seemingly wont transmit them in HD (though obviously both sets have a built in digital decoder).

Anyone know/have a good idea how to fix this issue? Is it just a quick settings thing and, if so, what would be the method?

Thanks!!

Best,

Brian
Old 11-02-08, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by indiansbsa
One of my good friends recently acquired this new Sony Bravia TV, however, though his old HDTV was able to display digital channels from his coax cable from the wall- he doesnt have cable- his new Bravia transmits these same channels in SD and seemingly wont transmit them in HD (though obviously both sets have a built in digital decoder).

Anyone know/have a good idea how to fix this issue? Is it just a quick settings thing and, if so, what would be the method?

Thanks!!

Best,

Brian
On the remote control there is a button where it states digital/ analog. If you push it, it will switch between the analog and digital side. Switch to the digital side to get the local HD channels.
Old 11-02-08, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by dizzlle01
On the remote control there is a button where it states digital/ analog. If you push it, it will switch between the analog and digital side. Switch to the digital side to get the local HD channels.
I don't see that option on my new Bravia's remote, but I didjust notice within the menus a separate "add digital channels' feature. Perhaps thats the one he needs. I texted him and I'll post here if that is the fixer to then close this one out

Thanks again!

Brian
Old 11-02-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, you have to run a scan for digital channels. That's generally standard, although I suppose some might do it automatically somehow.
Old 11-28-09, 05:02 PM

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-46VL130 46" HDTV Digital Local Channel Issue- Please Help!!

Not sure how things work in your part of the world, but in the US, Sony provides a support site, 'sonystyle'. If you enter your model number in the Support section, you can navigate to a part of the site that provides downloads, including television firmware downloads.

For tuner problems, especially the digital channels, you should check for a TV firmware update at sonystyle. I was having some strange loss of digital channels on our 40" Bravia, starting with channels only appearing for a second before the screen produced a 'No Signal' message. After we tried the automatic retuning, then we could not even get the one second signal. None of this appeared on the description of the available download for our TV. However, we downloaded the patch to our PC, loaded the file (19 MB) onto a small flash drive, which we then used to upgrade the firmware in the TV. All our digital tuner problems disappeared!! It now works better than new.