Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Iditarod - Toughest Race on Earth (Discovery Channel - Now Fridays)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-02-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been watching this? Its been on for a few episodes airing on Tuesdays but now its been moved to Fridays!

Ive been watching religiously and will buy the DVDs. This is mainly because I just got back from living in Alaska and was lucky enough to befriend the family of Aily Zirkle. She runs the Iditarod and was the first woman to win the Yukon Quest. I visited her kennel, got a private tour, pet all her 63 dogs, and played with the puppies. It was the one of the biggest highlights I had while being in Alaska.

Anyway the show is really good and I dont know how its doing in the ratings. The fact they moved it to Fridays mid season cannot be a good sign. So give it a watch, you just might like it!

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/iditarod/iditarod.html
Old 11-02-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Sounds good. It's like Ice Road Truckers, but with dogs. Mush!
Old 11-02-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Funny, I was just going to ask if it was anything like Ice Road Truckers, because if it was I will definitely not watch it. IRT was a show I really wanted to like, but by the second season was just awful and completely unbearable to watch.
Old 11-03-08, 01:56 AM
Banned

Oh damn, was there a new episode on friday the 31st? I hate it when they do that. I guess I should have just set my DVR to catch all new episodes.....
Old 11-03-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
I was stationed in Alaska in 1978-79 and the Iditarod went through an Eskimo village near our site (very remote) - so a few of us went to the village to catch it. Outside of the novelty of being there, there really wasn't much to see - I think we saw one dog team go by. But back in '78, reality TV hadn't "punched up" anything yet, so I'm assuming it's all more exciting now.
Old 11-03-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Funny, I was just going to ask if it was anything like Ice Road Truckers, because if it was I will definitely not watch it. IRT was a show I really wanted to like, but by the second season was just awful and completely unbearable to watch.

Yeah - I watched the first couple of S2 and got tired of it.
Old 11-03-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Either last year or the year before, one of my wife's best friends, who now lives in Alaska, got to race with one of the teams for a few hours. Her husband won the opportunity for her to do it in some kind of auction. That would be a cool think to do. She has some pretty cool pics from the experience.
Old 11-03-08, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Oh damn, was there a new episode on friday the 31st? I hate it when they do that. I guess I should have just set my DVR to catch all new episodes.....
I hope not cause I got the one on Tuesday and didnt seen anything about being another during the same week.

I actually dont like Ice Road truckers. I saw maybe two eps from the first season and thost idiots annoyed the hell out of me. But I dont think this show is like it, maybe just that theyre in Alaska and in ice and snow

Yea lots of people win the opportunity to go on the race but its an auction and costs a shit load of money. The bad part about the show is that it focuses on the race and not behind the scenes. I wanted to see them at the kennels, training, all that stuff. That would have been a nice addition.
Old 11-03-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
Hey Rav, sorry I missed you. We've been up here since the end of August and are really enjoying it. We'll probably go on a tour soon, and if my wife really likes it I may gift her a half-day of mushing school for Christmas.
Old 11-03-08, 04:19 PM

Ahh thats right man! Yea we missed eachother totally. Fairbanks is beautiful at the end of August early September right? Did you go out to the Hot Springs? I was a Park Ranger in Chena State Rec Area so email me when you tour and hit the sites and trails, that was my stomping ground! I also made it to the Artic Ocean.... hmm this talk might derail the thread