Dexter -- "Si Se Puede" -- 11/2/08

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Dexter -- "Si Se Puede" -- 11/2/08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Dexter suspects that Miguel is on to his dark-side job and decides to test him; Rita gets fired from her job and begins to question her career path; Debra thinks she somehow contributed to another homicide that's related to the case she's working.

Old 11-03-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What? No love for this episode?

I thought it was intense, especially in the last scene. Although Miguel may be okay with what Dexter is doing to the bad guys, he may not be so okay with how Dexter is dispatching them. Thank goodness he did not walk in on Dexter during the act.
Old 11-03-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was expected that Miguel was going to the wrong house.

I don't see how can Miguel survive past this season...
Old 11-03-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Great episode. I hope Miguel stays for the long haul. This is sort of the relationship that I thought could have been good between Dexter and Doakes had Doakes been cool with who Dexter was.
Old 11-03-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope Miguel dies, and soon. His character just bogs down the whole show for me.
Old 11-05-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loving Miguel, and agree with bluetoast about Doakes.

I'm definitely thinking that Quinn is the Skinner at this point...he was pretty damn quick to join Dexter's sister in throwing Ramon Prado under the bus.

It could be the C.I., but that'd be too much of a rehash of Season 1 (sister falls for a serial killer).
Old 11-05-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this has past the first season but still behind the second.

As mentioned, I always thought a Batman and Robin relationship would be great viewing...and I was surprised as I thought Doakes would have been perfect.

And as mentioned, it can't be Antawn because of Season 1.

So unless it is Quinn (I guess the middle brother has been ruled out), this may be the first time where the killer is a surprise.
Old 11-05-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I never thought Doakes would have been OK with what Dexter was doing.
Old 11-05-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I never thought Doakes would have been OK with what Dexter was doing.
Don't see why not....Doakes did exactly what Dexter was doing...
Old 11-06-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How so?
Old 11-06-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How so?
Killing the Haitian (sp?) holding eggs and bread under the bridge was exactly what Dexter does...

And it would be fair to assume with all the character traits we witnessed of Doakes that it wasn't the first time he took such action.
Old 11-06-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't think he would have gone along with Dexter. He still believed in justice for the most part, and he would never have been able to be as calculating about it as Dexter.
Old 11-06-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still don't think he would have gone along with Dexter. He still believed in justice for the most part, and he would never have been able to be as calculating about it as Dexter.

I never really thought we would, but he would have been perfect. Doakes couldn't see they were the same with the same end result, just different methods.

Regardless, who cares....awesome show...great new season.
Old 11-06-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know I was down on Prado last week, but this episode warmed me to him a little bit. It still seems like old ground and I think they have to address the Doakes/BH Butcher situation. At the very least it would seem a good way for Dex to test the waters on Prado's feelings about the method the BHB used to dispensing "justice".
Old 11-06-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To me, that is the only huge plothole. Any semi-smart man, especially an Assistant DA, would need all of 5 seconds to put two and two together with Dexter and the Bay Harbor Butcher. My only series complaint...
Old 11-06-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Prado still hasn't seen Dexter's method of disposal and all that, although the "justice" angle could be pretty obvious to him. Although since everyone believes it's Doakes, it's not like Miguel thinks the case is still open or anything.
Old 11-06-08, 06:39 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

One interesting theory I've heard posited:

The reason why Prado may not recognize Dexter as the Bay Harbor Butcher is because he got the idea of "creating" his own personal vigilante killer from the BHB murders originally, and, for now at least, he thinks that he's been shaping Dexter into a new BHB, while not knowing that Dexter was the real thing. In Prado's mind, the similarities between Dexter and BHB are intentional on his part, because Doakes (or so Prado thinks) is the model he's using.

Last edited by sb5; 11-06-08 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-06-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just started watching this show a couple weeks ago. I'm all caught up now. Great show. First season has been, by far, my favorite season, although the hot british chick made the second season enjoyable. I've gone from watching 3 episodes a day to now one per week. I was thinking of resuming SFU (in season) but not sure if the two Michael C Hall roles will conflict or ruin each other in some way.

I particularly liked the "loneliness is an art form" line.
Old 11-06-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
I have to believe that Prado has already linked the BHB with Dexter or at the very least has a strong suspicion). I think he's just keeping it close to his vest for the time being and will play that card when he needs to (blackmail maybe?).

I think Prado figured out the link right after he found out Dexter killed Freebo - considering he went from thinking Dexter killed Freebo in self-defense and then soon afterwards pushes him to take care of someone else. The question is, did he suspect Dexter was lying about the circumstances of Freebos death?

My theory: Prado knows Dexter checked up his brother's records in the database - and out of the blue winds up at Freebo's and kills him in self-defense. Seems coincidental and suspicous. With this suspicion, Prado may have looked further into the audit records on the database to see what else Dexter's been snooping around in. It's at this point he notices that every person he's looked into on the database is a victim of the BHB... and the time/date stamp of the searches are before the bodies were found, and even before each victim was reported missing. Prado knows now that Dexter is the BHB.