Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

AC/DC - Change in writing credits/writers

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-02-08, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

It always struck me as odd that while AC/DC's best album (Back In Black, best IMO) was a collaborative effort between Angus & Malcom Young and Brian Johnson for the songwriting, starting in 1990 for The Razor's Edge all the songs were written by Angus and Malcom on their own without input from Johnson.

For my money that's where the vocal parts lost their natural vibe and started to sound forced. I noticed it at the time, and I thought it didn't make any sense. Johnson had done such a great job writing most of the vocal melodies & lyrics up to that point I don't know why Angus and Malcom took that job away from him.

When Glenn Tipton did that with Judas Priest when Ripper Owens joined the vocal melodies & hooks became totally cliched and cheesy. Tipton's own solo album showed the same vocal style when it came to melodies, so it was clearly not his strong suit. Owens has written some good vocal parts over the years, so I have to think that Priest's two albums with him would have been better had they let him write his own vocal parts.

And that's the way I feel about every AC/DC album from The Razor's Edge on. Sure, some of the songs worked really well - including several on the new album, Black Ice - but some of them were nowhere near as good as what they had written with Johnson in the 80's.

I've never read anything on why the songwriting duties were taken away from Brian Johnson. Have you?

Like I said, considering how well they had worked together previously it just seems damned odd that they'd do that.